It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using the new features and and functions of ATS.5/3

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I am a stickler for the proper usages of words and sentences but I also see, understand and sometimes partake in internet-shorthand when it suits me. Obviously a 50 line post full of "OMGZ!!! Ure so l33t" is ridiculous and I don't believe ATS will ever allow it to go to that extent, however I think it is acceptable to allow a small amount to filter through so as ATS doesn't feel like it's completely set apart from the rest of the Internet.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

"OMGZ!!! Ure so l33t"

Had to google that one.

I'm ok with BTW or OMG, etc on the occasion, I do it at times. But I'll often get a text that I have no clue what it says. I just don't want to see post like that.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
But I'll often get a text that I have no clue what it says. I just don't want to see post like that.

Oh don't worry, I'm 100% behind you on that one!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have a older computer. (Still running Vista)

As for tablets or smart phones, I'm still on the fence there. I just don't see the need for them in my life at this moment. I believe you and other members that say that 5/3 works on those devices.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

TDawgRex
I have a older computer. (Still running Vista)

Versions of Chrome and Firefox for Vista support modern web standards.

Less than 3% of all visitors to ATS are on devices/OS's that -might- be incompatible with the new design -- according to our web analytics.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I'm sure it must must be on my end of things. I've only seen one other member with the same complaint. I'll figure it out eventually, but then again, maybe not as I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to programming. If you give me your computer to look at for a problem, I'll end up giving you back a canoe anchor.

Either way, the posts are readable. Just lots of scrolling.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

During the test runs, I saw a whole lot of space between posts on my PC.

Could it be my settings?

I saw that too, so you're not crazy.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

jiggerj

Using BrowserStack (a virtual service that gives access to dozens of OS/browser combinations), I finally found a combination (WinXP, IE8 virgin release) that displayed a large amount of white space at the top of the page.

This has been fixed.

The "culprit" or source of the problem sheds light on how poorly crafted/coded the Microsoft IE is -- it was an extra space between then end of a tag attribute's closing quotation mark, and the closing bracket. The same issue was causing member names not to be displayed for some users.

The rest of the site checks out well in that combination.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So are you still shooting for Monday to make the switch for good? Just posting in here makes me realize even more how much I like the new set up. Dark option only of course. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Ok wait a minute, I am on the New ATS. I thought it was just this thread. This is so much better than the old set up. It's not even close. Nice job. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

jiggerj

Using BrowserStack (a virtual service that gives access to dozens of OS/browser combinations), I finally found a combination (WinXP, IE8 virgin release) that displayed a large amount of white space at the top of the page.

This has been fixed.

The "culprit" or source of the problem sheds light on how poorly crafted/coded the Microsoft IE is -- it was an extra space between then end of a tag attribute's closing quotation mark, and the closing bracket. The same issue was causing member names not to be displayed for some users.

The rest of the site checks out well in that combination.

The huge amount of space is inbetween each reply within a thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It's the same ammount of space.

The old ATS simply auto filled the post.

The NEW ats fits the post to the actual content, leaving that blank space, but it's not any longer or shorter than the old ATS.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Oh wow, I had not noticed the absence of the Firehose yet. Anyway to tell the truth ATS could revert back to the very first and most basic black and white site and I would still come back. That was plain but more intimate and far more revealing for my personal interests...
The archives are still the best of ATS, be nice to see some of that featured monthly through this new version. Some of the archived members are gone but not forgotten. Yes a new monthly archives spotlight.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
so im guessing only a few have access to the new layout at this moment?
ive tried changing 'www' with 53 but it just loads the regular version for me.
looking forward to checking it out.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

jiggerj

Again, the spacing between posts in the new ATS.5/3 is slightly tighter than the old ATS.2010.
WinXP/IE8 to the left, Safari/Mac center, Chrome/Mac to the left.

Even the slightly non-standards compliant IE8 shows ATS.5/3 with tighter spacing between posts than current ATS.2010.

I'm really, really confused as to how/why people are saying this.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

jiggerj

Again, the spacing between posts in the new ATS.5/3 is slightly tighter than the old ATS.2010.
WinXP/IE8 to the left, Safari/Mac center, Chrome/Mac to the left.

Even the slightly non-standards compliant IE8 shows ATS.5/3 with tighter spacing between posts than current ATS.2010.

I'm really, really confused as to how/why people are saying this.

reply to post by jiggerj

I think I may now know why we have been saying the spacing looks wrong. It may be because of the way the posts are bordered in the left screenshot, but the border is eliminated in the next two.

Just a small tweek that plays games on the mind when it comes to members who have been here awhile, but still makes them say, “Uh? That’s odd”. I didn’t see it until your post, but I do now.

You know us old folk, we have a tendency to get set in our ways sometimes.

edit on 8-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: No opposable thumbs. I'm just a Dawg after all.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
if you had stumbled upon ats in its new format that would be the norm - get used to it

ats is still here and will go on no matter who leaves the staff have put in a vast amount of work to get this up and running

so embrace change folks rap your arms around it and give it a big wet sloppy kiss even if you do not know how it works it is all the more fun pushing all the buttons to see what it does

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Looking at your avatar, I have to ask you. Have you ever been given a kiss by a Lab or a cow? Both are sloppy and the cows actually hurt.

I'm sure I would be banned if I ever tried that with the owners of the site.
Or at least slapped with charges being pressed.

They asked for input and I gave it as did many others. The Admin even is looking into some of the feedback which endears me to this site even more.

I'll adapt...I always do.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

reply to post by geobro

Looking at your avatar, I have to ask you. Have you ever been given a kiss by a Lab or a cow? Both are sloppy and the cows actually hurt.

I'm sure I would be banned if I ever tried that with the owners of the site.
Or at least slapped with charges being pressed.

They asked for input and I gave it as did many others. The Admin even is looking into some of the feedback which endears me to this site even more.

I'll adapt...I always do.
yip adapt or die trying i have kissed a few cows in my time and a few bitches to
i liked the avatar as it says all about me in 2 minds

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   

So...the (new topics) feature that we have now...will it still be in the newer version of ATS?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join