It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by onequestion

That rigid OLD mentality is out. Stop thinking your better then anyone.

You're 28. That's not your fault. You'll get over it.

I didn't say I'm better than anyone. I don't judge a person by the amount of money they earn.

These are low paying jobs for a reason. They were never designed to be a career. The were never meant to support a family.

What job is supposed to support a family, is there a list?

and EVERYONE should be compensated enough to have some form of decency.

Or, we can continue until even the highest get clipped by on-shoring cheap labor.

Supply and Demand? until YOUR career field is over ran by immigrant labor hordes..

every year more careers get clipped by it.

go back to school... the JOB fairy is just waiting to sprinkle JOB DUST all over every graduate..

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Cry me a river!

*jeez*

Find a career in demand!

I got to name my salary for christ's sake! But I also put in decades of work so I could just stroll in, name a salary, and have a damned veep say, "When do you want to start".

This whining and excuse-ridden thread has gotten PATHETIC!

WANT A TISSUE?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

What job is supposed to support a family, is there a list?
Not that I know of. But it would be a job that pays what they call a "living wage". Of course, if you can't get one of those you might be able to find a second job if you really need it. Or is that too hard?

and EVERYONE should be compensated enough to have some form of decency.
What does that mean? "Some form of decency?" Are these people indecent?

Supply and Demand? until YOUR career field is over ran by immigrant labor hordes..
What career field would that be?

go back to school... the JOB fairy is just waiting to sprinkle JOB DUST all over every graduate..
Nope. Like I said. There is competition for those jobs. No guarantees. Sorry.

edit on 8/30/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Sounds like you don't need him. Start your own business. One deal like that a year wouldn't be bad. Oh wait, you say you get paid even if you don't make a deal?

well that's just it.. i am. but unfortunately i gotta stick it out a bit longer. in the mean time he is going to learn alot from me. also, this isnt the first one of those ive done for him for the year. and then there's last year

plus i do other regular work when im not finding the best and most reliable solutions for his company and his clients. so my contribution pays for itself. my boss certainly isnt losing by paying me a salary. he's gonna try to offer me something after ive already decided im leaving and im going to leave him right there. he had lots of opportunity to offer me a raise.

well because theyre all up in the streets protesting about it. it seems the only time anyone ever gets a raise.
No. What they are protesting is that they aren't getting $15/hr.

no, theyre protesting that they need better wages because times are tough and growing tougher. when was the last time they got a pay raise? how many times has food prices, goods and services raised since then? even transport. everythings going up.

u really need to make sure the people that prepare your food are happy.
Right. Blackmail. Give us what we want or we'll spit on the food. See, that's what supervisors are for. That's why they get the big bucks.

lol.. see the supervisors do it too. ive supervised supervisors. they didnt get anything near the big bucks. they all stole. caught them red handed. boss forgave them and they kept their jobs and tighter policies were put in place. and alot of the time companies are so focused on the profit margins, they neglect expenditure in other areas. they turn down the cold storage and fridges that store the meat to save electricity. sometimes the meat is half rotten by the time it gets sold.. but they dont care.. there's a bunch of other measures companies take to save cost and increase profit margin that really show their disregard for their customers if their customers only knew. sell sell sell.

mcd's even got caught mixing horse meat into their patties..and that;s coming from the top lol

like i said, immoral businesses are not the place you want to feed yourself. ive seen it from behind the curtain. now i only buy food where i can see where it's being prepared. the preparation area has to be sparkling as well and the workers a genuinely pleasant disposition.

edit on 30-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Sure, everyone has a "place". But that doesn't mean that every person's place is worth a lot of money. Some jobs don't create much money when viewed in the large scale. That doesn't mean there is no value, just that there is not as much. It turns out that some jobs don't produce enough on an individual basis to justify a higher wage. That's why they are low paying jobs.

Higher paying jobs are harder to come by. There is more competition for them. They require higher skill sets. Supply and demand works in the labor market just like it does in the retail market. You can't just keep charging more for something. There are limits to what the market will bear.

All low wage jobs like what McDonalds is doing does is hide costs. Rather than paying an additional 5 cents on your burger, you're paying more in taxes so that the government can give the worker food stamps, rental assistance, and whatever else to live on, so that McDonalds can claim higher profits. You're paying one way or another... shouldn't we have a system where the corporation is paying the living rate of their employees rather than a portion of it?

To those that say these are low paying jobs and were never designed to support a family... they did just that until the early 80's. They ceased doing it when corporations realized they could pay their employees less to bring in more profits. There's enough people needing jobs that they can just keep paying a lower and lower relative wage or at worse terms and people will have to take it. When supply is high, such as the case with most employment companies can simply make people bid against themselves for lower wages, until the lowest accepts the job.
edit on 30-8-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2013 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

no, theyre protesting that they need better wages because times are tough and growing tougher.

No. They are protesting not getting $15/hr.
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aazadan

shouldn't we have a system where the corporation is paying the living rate of their employees rather than a portion of it?
No. We should have a system where people are paid according to merit and the true value of their work. Look at the profit margin on a burger. Look at how many people it takes to produce that burger. Look at the other costs of producing that burger. Now look at how many burgers a store sells in an hour.

To those that say these are low paying jobs and were never designed to support a family... they did just that until the early 80's. They ceased doing it when corporations realized they could pay their employees less to bring in more profits.
What do you mean they "ceased doing it?"

There's enough people needing jobs that they can just keep paying a lower and lower relative wage or at worse terms and people will have to take it.
Then complain to the DOL about minimum wage laws.

When supply is high, such as the case with most employment companies can simply make people bid against themselves for lower wages, until the lowest accepts the job.
Not exactly. There is a minimum wage. But there are a lot of unskilled people out there and those are the people who will always be there when profit margins on a product are low and it takes a low skill level to produce that product. The "solution" is not to pay them more.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

no, theyre protesting that they need better wages because times are tough and growing tougher.

No. They are protesting not getting $15/hr.
www.usatoday.com...

come on Phage.. ur touted as the ball of intellectual logic around here.

"The bottom line is we are doing this to let the corporations know we want $15 an hour, better working conditions — and we want to be treated fairly, " said the Rev. W.J. Rideout III of Detroit's All God's People Church. About 30 workers in Raleigh, N.C., picketed outside a Little Caesars. Julio Wilson said he earned $9 an hour at the pizza restaurant, not enough to support himself and his 5-year-old daughter. "I know I'm risking my job, but it's my right to fight for what I deserve," Wilson said. "Nine dollars an hour is not enough to make ends meet nowadays."

i didnt even have to read the article to know this. in fact.. i havent read any of the articles. all i saw was the headline and i knew what was going on.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

"The bottom line is we are doing this to let the corporations know we want $15 an hour,

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup

i didnt even have to read the article to know this. in fact.. i havent read any of the articles. all i saw was the headline and i knew what was going on.

That explains your, ahem, "insight".

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

"The bottom line is we are doing this to let the corporations know we want $15 an hour,

because

"Nine dollars an hour is not enough to make ends meet nowadays."

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you proposing there is enough skilled jobs in the united states to employ everyone?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Phage

Are you proposing there is enough skilled jobs in the united states to employ everyone?

Who is everyone?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You were saying they didn't get raises. Remember?

well because theyre all up in the streets protesting about it. it seems the only time anyone ever gets a raise.

If they start at minimum wage and are now making $9, they have been getting raises. They knew how much they would be paid when they applied for the job, if they needed they job they were probably glad to get it. They knew the review schedule, they knew how they would be evaluated. They had no reason to expect a "cost of living" raise and now they demand it?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Are you proposing that unskilled workers should be paid at the same level as skilled workers?
The question makes about as much sense as yours.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

You were saying they didn't get raises. Remember?

If they start at minimum wage and are now making $9, they have been getting raises. They knew how much they would be paid when they applied for the job, if they needed they job they were probably glad to get it. They knew the review schedule, they knew how they would be evaluated. They had no reason to expect a "cost of living" raise and now they demand it?

well yeah. that just shows that they do have willingness to work. they decided that crap pay is better than no pay and came out to contribute to society. from what ive seen their working hrs are also limited so that the corporations can save on healthcare cost. we're still on the topic of immoral business practices being the root of all of this.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No im proposing they get paid enough to have a family and pay basic bills.

15 an hour is not what skilled employees get paid, i hope not.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

That would depend on the value of the skill and the skill level of the worker.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Your uttering complete nonsense telling me that someone should work for less then what it takes to survive.

Do you contemplate your response first?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Your uttering complete nonsense telling me that someone should work for less then what it takes to survive.

Where have I said that? In fact, I said the opposite.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join