It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have archaeologists discovered the grave of Alexander the Great?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Experts find enormous marble tomb fit for a king under a massive mound in Greece

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... ce.html#ixzz2d3T6mZkK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

QUOTE:
Archaeologists have uncovered what could be the grave of Alexander the Great at a site near ancient Amphipolis.

The warrior king - who ruled in the 4th century BC - was thought to be buried in Egypt. But experts have now become excited after they uncovered a marble-faced wall dating from the time.

The structure measures an impressive wall measuring 500 metres long and three metres high, which archaeologists believe could contain a royal grave.

The site near ancient Amphipolis lies 370 miles north of Athens. END QUOTE:

Famous Romans Pompey, Augustus and Julius Caesar are all said to have visited his tomb in Alexandria, with Caligula reportedly swiping the warrior's breastplate for a souvenir.

Pompey, Augustus and Julius Caesar paying homage I seem to have read stories about that.
As far as Caligula...what a weenier....must be something to the Romans delivering water to the elite via lead pipes.

Anyway hope they start digging and get to the bottom of this. If it is Alexander's final resting place what a find....IMO

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Of course there's room for speculation who might be buried in this complex, but I would be surprised if it turned out to be Alex the Great.

When tthe great king died, in Babylon 323 B.C, the body was taken to Egypt by the Macedonian general Ptolemy where it was buried in a tomb at Memphis.

In the late fourth or early third century B.C, the body of Alexander was removed from its tomb in Memphis and transported to Alexandria where it was reburied. At a still later date, Ptolemy Philopator (222/21-205 B.C.) placed the bodies of his dynastic predecessors as well as that of Alexander in a communal mausoleum in Alexandria.

As far as we know, the body should still be there, and there are Egyptian archaeologists who claim they believe they know where, under a mosque in central Alexandria.

edit on 26-8-2013 by Heliocentric because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
interesting find .. curious to see if they figure out who was buried in it .. have my doubts that its alexanders due to having read old accounts of his life think it be long time if ever before they find his tomb ..

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
There is theory that half of the city of Alexandria disapered under the Mediterranean sea during an earthquake, so that last resting place might never be found.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heliocentric
Of course there's room for speculation who might be buried in this complex, but I would be surprised if it turned out to be Alex the Great.

When tthe great king died, in Babylon 323 B.C, the body was taken to Egypt by the Macedonian general Ptolemy where it was buried in a tomb at Memphis.

In the late fourth or early third century B.C, the body of Alexander was removed from its tomb in Memphis and transported to Alexandria where it was reburied. At a still later date, Ptolemy Philopator (222/21-205 B.C.) placed the bodies of his dynastic predecessors as well as that of Alexander in a communal mausoleum in Alexandria.

As far as we know, the body should still be there, and there are Egyptian archaeologists who claim they believe they know where, under a mosque in central Alexandria.

edit on 26-8-2013 by Heliocentric because: (no reason given)

That is pretty much the story I seem to remember...It really caught me off guard when I read they are speculating "this find" might be that of Alexander...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If it is indeed Alexander the Great, then this would be massive. Probably one of the most important Leader in the world. Now if only they are able to locate the grave another great Leader and a master tactician like Alexander himself, Genghis Khan.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

edit on 26/8/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow not buried in Egypt??..that would turn everything we thought we knew on it's head,but I guess it could be seen as a good political move by the family to finally bring him home.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Probably the tomb of King Phillip III of Macedonia and his wife Adea

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Probably the tomb of King Phillip III of Macedonia and his wife Adea

That might be a very good call, do you think the tomb has an eastern feel to it?? I know it's way early but...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

I haven't seen enough of the exacavation to make a reply however Phillip III was born in Macedonia and and his wife (also known as Eurydice II of Macedon) was born in Europe. As Alexander the Great half brother he travelled with him and was his 'successor'.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by Spider879

I haven't seen enough of the exacavation to make a reply however Phillip III was born in Macedonia and and his wife (also known as Eurydice II of Macedon) was born in Europe. As Alexander the Great half brother he travelled with him and was his 'successor'.

I did not know that and thanks for the info!!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I'm going on memory here but wasnt there a claim in the late 70's that the tomb of Philip III was found very near to where Philip II was laid to rest in Vergina? Or am I confusing Philip II and Philip III?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by peter vlar

Howdy

Yeah there was a fight over that was never really resolved. From what I've seen it was the tomb of some Macedonian, probably Phillip II...maybe

Link too

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Some more information about the find has just been released. The archeologists still have not entered the main tomb yet but they have confirmed the time period to be that of Alexander the Great:

The tomb dates back to 325-300 BC and reportedly bears the signature of famous ancient architect Dinocrates, a close friend of Alexander the Great.

Source: The Mystery of Ancient Amphipolis

Speculation is that the tomb is of of Alexander the Great or his wife, Roxana, and their son, Alexander IV. Roxana and Alexander IV were murdered by Cassander. The tomb is from last quarter of the 4th century BC.

Source:
Samaras expects 'exceptionally important find' at Ancient Amphipolis

More reading:
BBC News: Greek tomb at Amphipolis is 'important discovery'

-MM

edit on 12-8-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I am a highly skeptical that he is in Greece as there are contemporary records from Roman times that described visits to his tomb in Alexandria.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Most ancient writers - Diodoros, Strabo, Cassius, etc. wrote Alexander was first interred in Memphis (by Ptolemy I) and then removed to Alexandria (by his son, Ptolemy II). Diodoros went into great detail about the tomb in Memphis. After the body was removed to Alexandria, an Alexandrian historian named Achilles Tatius went into great detail of the Soma built there, including the cities central district named for it. Other historians who further confirm Alexandria as the tomb/soma location for Alexander include Tatius, Zenobius, and Lucian. Roman emperors like Julius Ceaser and Caligula were said to have visited the soma in Alexandria, allegedly Caligula even stole the armored cuirass from his body from there.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It seems it is unlooted so if they do enter the tomb by end of month like planned we should know very soon who is inside.

Largest tomb found from ancient greece and then with that time period...I wonder who else would "rate" such a burial? Maybe it was built for Alexander and just never received the body...a shrine per se

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
it is probably NOT the tomb of Megas Alexandros, but there is hope, even if its not Megas Alexandros tomb, το βε someone's very close to Alexandros family. Because the tomb is built by Dinokratos, that he was also a very close friend of Alexandros!

we will know in 1 week.

In the other hand, we also have an archeologist 15 years ago, that she found as she claims the tomb Megas Alexandros in Egypt... but Jewish approached her and threatened her, to speak publicly that ' Great Alexandros bowed to jewish religion before he dies!!!!! ' The archeologist laughed at them, because Great Alexandros took the chrisma of Pharoh and leaders like Alexandros with the archaic stereotypes of Zeus, because Zeus is the true god for us, our father... Judaism believes in the dragonian god, who is a criminal for us... YAH. The opossite of our God, jewish or chinese dragon god is an abomination for us, a scum criminal who wish to be a god actually.. And they told her, if she didnt said that or else they would post pawn the opening of the tomb!!!

1 month after the archeologist denied to do that, 2 jewish Greek politicians Simitis, who is also jewish in his origin and Pangalos another jew politician, blocked her research... the video I provide is her official report, for what happened and they didnt allowed the tomb to be opened.

Here also a link, it was big news at that time, u can translate it via bing or google... link And if you watch the photos from the one in Egypt, are totally similar! like twins, Dinokratos built them both.

The video is Greek, but she says all these things with names and dates... She reported them. If you have any greek friend he can comfirm her report bellow.

The video above I noticed its only 4 minutes, here is the whole report, with all details 1 hour and 30 minutes interview for what happened. www.youtube.com...
edit on 13-8-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: prasanna183
If it is indeed Alexander the Great, then this would be massive. Probably one of the most important Leader in the world. Now if only they are able to locate the grave another great Leader and a master tactician like Alexander himself, Genghis Khan.

The guy who scholars surmise slaughtered forty million people on his rampage westwards, whole areas reforested due to lack of human cultivation, yeah great leader indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join