It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding "Hugo"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Back in Feb, ATS member Arken introduced a thread with a very interesting image from the Curiosity Mars rover.
The image is from Sol 173, while the rover was in the Yellow-Knife Bay area. Here is the first image that he posted:

And here is a link to his thread he created for it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The image is zoomed in from the original, which you can see here:

And you can access the original image (and those further down), by following this link to Curiosity Raw Images.

Discussion about this interesting looking image lead to it being called "Hugo" by some of us on here. I decided to see if I could find other images of "Hugo" from different Sols.

Most of the following images are pretty much useless for any kind of analysis as "Hugo" is much to small as they are Nav Cam images.

However, it was still fun to go back and look at them. Sort of a martian version of "Where Is Waldo".

The very first images of Hugo that I could find are on Sol 168:

The next time I was able to find Hugo was on Sol 171:

Then again with Sol 173 which is where Arken found him:

Hugo shows up again in Sol 176:

We see him again in the Nav Cam on Sol 184:

Then, the last image that I can find of Hugo before Curiosity moved on was on Sol 186:

It's a shame that the controllers for Curiosity did not take any other close up pictures of Hugo, regardless of how anyone feels about what it is, it is still a very interesting feature that should have gotten a bit more of a close up.

Now at Sol 356, Curiosity is quite far away from Yellow-Knife Bay and Hugo, but I'm sure that we'll see more interesting things such as Hugo again.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Nice work!

Hugo sure doesn't seem to move much

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Did they ever shoot the lazer at hugo?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Something tells me they wouldn't say much about this.

It's all people on the outside talking about it, so it's either being hush hush or it's just a fake and we are just gullible.

looks like a metal hammer with teflon ends, or a control arm from a scooter buried. lol It's metal, since it' the color and reflective, and that 80% of the elements in the universe is made of metal, I have a 80% chance.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
By the way, we should give credit where credit is due...

Didn't ATS member/moderator "ArMaP" give Hugo his name in This Post in that original thread?

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People
By the way, we should give credit where credit is due...

Didn't ATS member/moderator "ArMaP" give Hugo his name in This Post in that original thread?

No, it was Arken, in this post.

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have no idea what it is. Images of it are not clear.

I decided for myself to think of it as a "interesting geological feature"......and that's about as close as I'll come to calling it a "rock", hehehe.

If it is a creature, it does not move much (Sol 168 to Sol 186 in the same spot, and their may be more images after Sol 186 I've not found yet).

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Nice post, Erik ... 'Hugo' has become a real martian 'meme' by now, hasn't it?!

Just why didn't they look at it back then, and why did they immediately publish that PDF on ventifacts to soothe the public opinion? Difficult to comprehend. And what about all the other weird shapes in that area that were apparently not interesting enough to investigate more in detail?

Yep, I know: because it's all strangely shaped igneous & sedimentary rocks formed by wind erosion, salt weathering and the like ... that said, who could even dare to believe that Mars could possibly consist of anything else than just dust & rocks?

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

defo no rock in my opinion. Already stated multiple times. However...I've seen many posts from people here who look at it...and say "rock".

It is in times like these I start to question common sense, and an age old saying..."we create our own reality"...we obviously do.

edit:

It obviously isn't alive...so no claims of alien life....if that feature isn't interesting, than I don't know what is, apart from finding real live aliens on Mars...
edit on 8-8-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

reply to post by jeep3r

because it's all strangely shaped igneous & sedimentary rocks formed by wind erosion, salt weathering and the like

I would accept such an explanation from the authority...if they could provide me with a similar case from Mars. But Hugo sticks out like turd in a punch bowl...and it's unique out of all Mars pics. Surely if it's just standard weathering and wind erosion...Hugos would be all over the place
edit on 8-8-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Not quite exactly like Hugo, but basically the same thing - smooth shiny shapes sticking out.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

Not quite exactly like Hugo, but basically the same thing - smooth shiny shapes sticking out.

Not sure to what "artifact" are you referring to?

Nothing on that thread resembles even remotely to the Hugo anomaly.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Finding "Hugo"

Hugo (my dog) is right here, near me, and watch me for request his lunch.

I said him: "You are a Celebrity Now!" and not only in the neighbors.

Damn! He is go away...

On topic: why Curiosity do not investigate on that anomalus formation?
edit on 8-8-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Finding "Hugo"

Hugo (my dog) is right here, near me, and watch me for request his lunch.

I said him: "You are a Celebrity Now!" and not only in the neighbors.

Damn! He is go away...

On topic: why Curiosity do not investigate on that anomalus formation?
edit on 8-8-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

That's a good question. And my answer is: I don't know.

I do know that in this case, it would have been not too much effort to get the MSL a little bit closer to get some clearer pictures of it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I am surprised they didn't take a peek at the anomalous object using the MAHLI. The rover was close enough.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Why do people keep calling it an anomaly?

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

Look more closely. There are weird shapes of smooth metallic-looking surface sticking out, same as "Hugo".

edit on 8-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Look more closely. There are weird shapes of smooth metallic-looking surface sticking out, same as "Hugo".

To be fair, calling it a "rock" or another noun like that, not only labels it, but identifies it with people.

People that do not think it's a rock but might be something else are not going to want to call it that.

In my opinion, calling it a "anomaly" is not that bad. It certainly stands out from all the other geology in the area and does look unique right there compared to everything else in the pictures.

Personally I think we should call things like this a "Unusual Martian Feature" or a UMF for short. It's unusual looking, it's martian since it's on Mars, and calling it a "feature" does not give it some automatic label like "Rock" or "Dino Head" would. "Feature" can be nice and ambiguous.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I really don't get it man...all I see is shiny rocks...nothing sticking out. Are you not seeing "Hugo" clearly ????

If you don't see it...than you don't see it. EOD, as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

MarioOnTheFly
I really don't get it man...all I see is shiny rocks...nothing sticking out. Are you not seeing "Hugo" clearly ????

I think the areas marked in red have shiny rocks sticking out, they are visible on the anaglyph posted some posts back.

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

come on man.,..you can't in all honest compare that to the "Hugo" ??

Those are clearly shiny rocks...Hugo isn't...at least...from the pic available...it doesn't look like any other feature. It's not only the shining attribute...how about regular features...

I'm pasting this from another post in another thread...

So, you're telling me that this....which looks like an ordinary rock...as do all in this thread

reminds you...or looks similar to this....

COME ON PEOPLE...!!!!

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The rocks imaged above and discussed in this thread actually do seem to consist of the same or a similar material just like 'Hugo'. But can we be sure? Not as long as we don't have any ChemCam or SAM analysis to check the exact composition.

Obviously, 'Hugo' is more distinct in that it displays a certain symmetry and alignment, just like many other features that have not been investigated more closely. That's what causes the stir, at least on this forum. But I'm afraid we won't get more details on this, so 'officially' it has to be ventifacts or eroded rocks as displayed above. The lack of further data concerning such features (that clearly stand out) is disturbing - independent of whether it's all just geological in nature or not ...
edit on 9-8-2013 by jeep3r because: text

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join