It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing "like living crature" anomaly on martian surface in Curiosity sol 173?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Originally posted by Arken

And at the risk of coming across as a loon, I present this....

I can clearly see a "knee" not very different from animals here.
The "eye" like detail exactly around the "open mouth" also caught my eye.

Actual life form? or extreme pareidolia on my part?

Decided to make an artists impression. Also including some new details which I spotted.

What could that thing be?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Absolutely impressive, sk0rpi0n!

Thanks for your huge contribution to this thread.
Stars!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Very cool pic man.

Whatever it is.... they always turn out to be rocks though, huh?

I remember the one a few years ago, the green man pointing and that was rocks too.

This lizard thing does look cool but without other pics from other angles or later/earlier, then we'll never know.
It does look to either be perched on the rock or kinda growing out of it as you can see the rock under the dusty surface... which means it's either part of rock (which it almost certainly is) or it's a little creature perched on it.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

The more I look at it, the more it appears like a lizard sitting on a rock.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

YouWe should look at the original photo, not at resampled versions and much less at the coloured versions.

This is what the object looks like when resized to 400% without resampling. This is what the image really shows.

It has too much JPEG artefacts to be useful.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 4/2/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by Arken

The more I look at it, the more it appears like a lizard sitting on a rock.

Yes, but as I showed in an earlier post, it could be seen on that same spot in a photo of that area from Sol 168 -- five days prior to the OP's image.

It also shows up in the exact same spot on a MAHLI camera image from Sol 177 (four days after the OP's image). I'm think that if it is always in the same spot (at least for the past nine days), then maybe it could just be a rock worn by wind and sand erosion.

It could be some harder aggregate material in the softer sedimentary rock, and thus wears away differently that the rock matrix around it. Maybe it's an ancient meteor that became part of the sedimentary rock, and was later exposed by erosion.

Here is a link to the MAHLI Sol 177 Image.

(It's upside down because the MAHLI is on the rover's arm, and that was the position of the arm when the image was taken):

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Use the original image I linked above, but here's where to look:

edit on 2/4/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
After a very long time, a fantastic thread..
Thanks Arken...
Dying breed or not, we need more of these threads...
i wish we could have the good old days of ATS back with all the 'fire in the belly' members...
If any of you are reading this, we miss ya all!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yes, but as I showed in an earlier post, it could be seen on that same spot in a photo of that area from Sol 168 -- five days prior to the OP's image.

And like I said earlier in this post

Even if it isn't a living animal.... what if it is a carved sculpture? Notice how it sits almost like the sphynx.

Notice how that thing has 2 "horns" or "ears" ....and 2 front "limbs".

Or what if it is a form of life that can stay in that position for really long time periods? Unlike things we have on earth?

I don't know, but from what I see in that pic, its more than just a weird rock formation.

edit on 4-2-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This is one of those things our ageed-upon universe puts up to make something fun. 9/11, the Kennedy killings, and many other things can fit any scenerio your want to think of (the JFK killing alone has about ten scenerios which were and are probably indictable). So here we have a rock, or a living creature that sits for long periods of time, or a dead creature, or a statue left by some wandering ancient Martian, or a piece of the Rover landing apparatus that somehow bounced way over here and landed to look like a lizard. And why hasn't any major media picked up on this one yet? It's even better than Arken's flower.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

YouWe should look at the original photo, not at resampled versions and much less at the coloured versions. This is what the object looks like when resized to 400% without resampling. This is what the image really shows.

Resized to 400% without resampling does not make certain details go away.

The head region, especially the open mouth, symmetrical horns and eye are still visible.

In fact, I now have a new perspective on the same thing. It appears to me that the "limb" in front could be the tip of the "tail".

EDIT : Heres a quick sketch I made of that thing....

edit on 4-2-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by letmeDANz
Thanks Arken...
i wish we could have the good old days of ATS back with all the 'fire in the belly' members...

And hey, letmeDANz, join in the good old days and post some more, your count is too low for someone who enjoys the "fire in the belly" threads. Please jump in with two feet flailing.

On the picture itself, I seem to notice a tail that curves off the back (even though it's just an impression in the rock) that fits the biology of the creature. Arken, I think it's established enough that you can name it. You'd either be naming a lifeform or naming a rock, and there's nothing wrong with naming a rock that looks like this, that's for sure! What would you like us to call it?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

reply to post by fleabit

You are naive though, to think that NASA would "blur out" anything. If there was a picture they did not want you to see.. you would not see it, plain and simple. They wouldn't go through the effort of hiding something. It would simply never be posted on any site that Joe Public could browse.

In fact, that specific Area, for unknown reason,..... was not imaged by NASA/JPL! hcd-1.imgbox.com...

Nothing to see there...

Hey man. I'm sorry to break this to you, but that area was actually just imaged. If it's still there, we know it's a rock.

Plus the fact that is was found in other NavCam images from days before the OP's picture.

I'm fine with being open minded, but here are two huge cons that are AGAINST it being a lizard or any animal at this point:

1: The object hasn't moved in days - as corroborated by a NavCam shot and a MastCam shot - days apart.

2: (This is a big one) - There is no ecosystem on Mars. That's the killer right there...

If we see this thing in the new images, I hope people will realize it IS just a rock, albeit a very interesting looking rock. - You can't deny that.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is one of the more interesting Mars images I've seen to date.

~ The object stands out from the rest of the surrounding area.
~ It does not appear to be similar to the surrounding rocks/geology in the image.
~ There are several areas underneath the object where light is coming through between the ground and the object, indicating that may not be a permanent or fixed object.
~ There are several areas in the sand around the object that look to be disturbed.

Personal observation:

It looks like a Horned Lizard....

Horned Lizard or Horny Toad

If I saw this picture without knowing where it was taken, I would guess that it was taken somehwere in the South West US... New Mexico, West Texas, or Arizona....

BTW - This is a much better image to examine : 0173MR0926019000E1_DXXX.jpg
edit on 4-2-2013 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

reply to post by fleabit

You are naive though, to think that NASA would "blur out" anything. If there was a picture they did not want you to see.. you would not see it, plain and simple. They wouldn't go through the effort of hiding something. It would simply never be posted on any site that Joe Public could browse.

In fact, that specific Area, for unknown reason,..... was not imaged by NASA/JPL! hcd-1.imgbox.com...

Nothing to see there...

That area was imaged at least three times in nine days (sol 168, 173, and 177) by different cameras (Navcams, MAHLI, Mastcam). The object is still there -- in the same spot -- in all of the images.

Personally, I think it is a harder piece of harder aggregate material in the softer sedimentary rock. As the wind-blown sand wears away the softer sedimentary rock, this harder rock remains behind.

I suppose it is even possible that this was an ancient meteor that ended up becoming part of the sedimentary rock matrix, and it is wearing away more slowly than the surrounding softer matrix because it is more metallic.

edit on 2/4/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is a very good find Arken and thanks for sharing the view.

My opinion is that the objects appear to be a couple of very tiny built structures and that parts of the objects have a metallic component about them.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Hi there impaired. No prob.

For sure an interesting anomaly, even if very but very suspicious.
Same resolution?
Can you please provide the links?
I don't find them...

Thx.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks SGIP for your research.
can you please provide the link?
thx.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wish I had the time to analyze these Mars pics a lot closer.
Unless you are getting paid for it, seems like a waste of time, but still I appreciate those who do.
I doubt this is a lizard but there sure have been quite a bit of anomalies found on the Martian surface that appear to be out of place with the natural surroundings.
In this case, it looks like a highly polished piece of rock that protrudes from the ground.
If it's old debris from Martian history it certainly needs to be investigated further.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Originally posted by letmeDANz
Thanks Arken...

And hey, letmeDANz, join in the good old days and post some more, your count is too low for someone who enjoys the "fire in the belly" threads. Please jump in with two feet flailing.

On the picture itself, I seem to notice a tail that curves off the back (even though it's just an impression in the rock) that fits the biology of the creature. Arken, I think it's established enough that you can name it. You'd either be naming a lifeform or naming a rock, and there's nothing wrong with naming a rock that looks like this, that's for sure! What would you like us to call it?

Thanks for the laugh Aleister.

I call officially this martian lizard/metallic/rock anomaly: HUGO like my wonderful dog!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

reply to post by impaired

Hi there impaired. No prob.

For sure an interesting anomaly, even if very but very suspicious.
Same resolution?
Can you please provide the links?
I don't find them...

Thx.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join