It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Backs Pirate-Starving Program by Google and Others

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The Obama Administration came out in support of an anti-piracy plan put forward by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and other Internet companies that’s designed to cut off advertising revenue to rogue sites engaged in piracy and counterfeiting.

variety.com...

Drudge had the headline of : 'White House shills for Google Anti-Piracy Plan'.

Shill such as strong word and a most fitting description of what he is doing.

So let me get this straight it is illegal for us to take things that 'don't belong to us', and government and it's NSA get's to use their computers to take things that don't belong to them.

Well that is not very 'fair' to use a a word the Potus is famous for.

I find the White House and the administrations lack of consistency disturbing!

You can't steal!
Government can steal!

And no i don't condone illegal activity which is why I was exposing the illegal activities of the US government.

I report you decide.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well, this is the problem with oligarchies; if they band together and decide to oppose you, there is not much you can do to resist.

Obama's administration is such a circus, lol. What business does the executive branch have interjecting itself in the matters of corporations?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Do they honestly think that this is going to do anything to slow piracy? I mean how stupid are these people? The only reason that the "alternative file sharing" sites put banners and ads up is because they get paid mostly based on traffic and unique hits. It's easy money and sure it helps pay for the site, but come on people had sites that pirated software long before there was even ad revenue available.

Sometimes I think they just spitball ideas and everyone is too stupid to know of a better idea so they just get behind it because it sounds good, and it makes them look proactive. There are ways to really cripple pirates, but I will keep those ideas to myself because I like my occasional freebie.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You've reported, but I've already decided (unfortunately) that the government is interested in one thing - getting paid by corporations to keep corporate interests intact.

Here is the deal. The current corporate business model sucks. So, instead of taking responsibility for it and actually fixing their problems, the corporations make deals with the government to make laws to force the people to buy their products.

Do you want to find some consistency in today's lawmaking? To figure out what the new moral compass is? It is going to be, what is in the best interest of the mega-corporations, in particular, how can we line the pockets of those at the top?
edit on 15-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

My 'moral compass' isn't stuck on the 'blame corporation's for everything'.

It actually works, and blames elected leaders in this country like the guy in the op.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Okay, I see, so they are taking away advertising revenue from piracy sites. Oligarchy? Is that what you called our new political system in the U.S.? I like it.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was always under the impression that conservatives value hard work. And that that work should be paid. Now that Obama is actually doing something along that line it's twisted into another BS topic? Yep, about right for today's society.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I was always under the impression that conservatives value hard work. And that that work should be paid. Now that Obama is actually doing something along that line it's twisted into another BS topic? Yep, about right for today's society.

Well then the American people need to get compensated for their phone calls, and emails, and pictures the government is stealing.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The problem is, I wasn't aware of this idea that elected officials actually listen to their constituents at all - from what I have seen first-hand in the business and political world in the U.S., it is hardly ever about serving the constituents -

Being a leader in the U.S. is about two things, mostly - keeping up the appearance that a you, as a leader, like a CEO or politician, care about your customers / voter base - and about increasing territory and power and money and making more valuable social contacts.

Do you know how hard it is to actually make a business that has the goal of providing quality services for its customers? Pretty hard.

How easy is it to make a business with the goal of making the most money to spread around between your buddies and ripping off the most customers in the process? Easy. I'm not joking, actually.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

The problem is lip service, true enough they don't listen to us.

Related reading to put this thread into persepective

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Originally posted by intrepid

Well then the American people need to get compensated for their phone calls, and emails, and pictures the government is stealing.

So because you're pissed at the government that means hard working people don't deserve recompense for their intellectual property? That doesn't sound conservative.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

So because you're pissed at the government that means hard working people don't deserve recompense for their intellectual property? That doesn't sound conservative.

Wasn't aware this was a 'right left' thread.

Truth be told I think movies, and music aren't worth what is being charged for them in the first place.

'intellectual property' ?

That was funny as we are talking about movies and music.

What is the personal beef here?
edit on 15-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Wasn't aware this was a 'right left' thread.

Aren't they all? C'mon man. This is weak and aimed at the administration. I didn't make it about that, you did. And this time he might be right. Hell a broken clock is right twice a day.

Truth be told I think movies, and music aren't worth what is being charged for them in the first place.

'intellectual property' ?

That was funny as we are talking about movies and music.

Preaching to the choir man but those people DID put their time, money and energy into their work. They deserve to get fair recompense.

What is the personal beef here?

What? Didn't I applaud a post of yours not 3 days ago?
Good post. Nothing personal here.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Aren't they all? C'mon man. This is weak and aimed at the administration. I didn't make it about that, you did. And this time he might be right. Hell a broken clock is right twice a day.

Made the connection that what the US Government is doing via the NSA is comparable to 'online piracy'.

Preaching to the choir man but those people DID put their time, money and energy into their work. They deserve to get fair recompense.

I have no problems with them getting compensated just 99% of it isn't worth being compensated for.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I have no problems with them getting compensated just 99% of it isn't worth being compensated for.

I can't argue that. We need a third and we could Gong Show what's around today. That said they should get paid for their "stuff". Manure vendors expect to be paid. This is just a little different.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Meh, whatever...

Most P2P sites are just that... with no advertising revenues to speak of.
Just people sharing their wares warez back and forth to each other.

No different than my neighbour down the street borrowing me one of his DVD movies to watch or his friggin' lawn mower. Someone had to make an original purchase in order to share it around.

Everyone's still making their profits.

Nobody is starving to death.
(except us plebeians)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The WH is in support of the corporations that you claim can do no wrong. What's the problem?

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander
reply to post by neo96

The WH is in support of the corporations that you claim can do no wrong. What's the problem?

Please Quote that

I will be waiting.

That is one problem there saying things that we never said in a thread feel free to comment about the online piracy committed by the US federal government.

top topics

join