It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota Becomes the Twelfth State to Sanction Same-Sex Marriage

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Marriage is a title. That is it. It has no actual law of it's own.

Legal Government Marriage is a contract.

It affords certain privileges not available my any other means.

What is a contract? It is a legal document to protect the rights and property of those individuals signing it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

If you had any understanding of the actual law itself, you would realise that removing 'marriage' from the government is the simple solution. The laws are already there to handle the rest, let us actually use them.

Why would I want to remove marriage from government?

And what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973

Originally posted by mindlessbrainpower89

Why do you think Jews where Kippahs on their heads? It shows their marriage with G-d and reminds them that there is a G-d above.

Hang on a minute here.....

Kippahs are worn by men and you are saying that they wear them to show their marriage to God. God is a dude , Jesus reaffirmed this when he taught us to call him father....

This would mean that Jews believe in the ultimate form of gay marriage - the men are all marrying a male God!

I can go with the brides of Christ thing with nuns, but you have just shot your own argument down in flames there.

Okay now, this comment is just obnoxiously ridiculous. All believers who practice righteousness are the bride, WE all are the bride who accept him. He is the bridegroom. In Judaism, women wear a tichel on their heads as well.... It's not some orgy like you think, that's just wrong... but then again, we are talking about gay marriage while something like this gets mentioned so I am not surprised. My argument going down in flames huh.. Nope, don't think so. Maybe to you, but you are one of 7 billion people, and compared to El Elyon? Nothing.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Personally, I'd rather get rid of the box and let people do as they wish.

I actually agree with you. People were getting married long before religion OR government. Religion and government butted their way into marriage so they could control and regulate the people.

I also agree with Annee.

As it is now, government is VERY involved in marriage and has been for many years. Government would be as hesitant to let it go of marriage as religion is. They both want their control. But as a person born in this society and raised to learn that people"grow up and get married", it has become something we view as a form of security. It would be VERY hard to convince people that they can just make a life with someone, buy a house, have a family, grow old and die together, etc and never get legally married. I admire people who do it.

But that is not going to change for a very long time and only after MUCH fighting. Ideally, people would just stop getting legally married and some are. They are opting to have lifelong relationships without governmental involvement. I think eventually, the government will simple be kicked out of the marriage business, but that's the future.

For now, the laws stand the way they are and gay people are being denied equal treatment under those laws. Plenty of gay people don't want to marry. That's fine. But like straight people, they should have the choice.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks BH.

Yeah, it's about RIGHT NOW. Equal rights as it stands Right Now. It's about having the same choices, Right Now.

People in general are not forced to get married anymore. Society is changing. But, they deserve equal right of choice.

And you and I both know the real reason we have a government marriage in the first place. But, that has changed as well to what we have today.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Let me just say first, that no matter what.. my decision is my decision & it will not change. I believe what I believe of course, but it does get old extremely quick when homosexuals/those who approve of gay marriage always point out that they aren't forcing anyone with religious values to accept it because, the truth is, that's a load of bull. So, what happens when churches are forced to these homosexual "civil unions?" They might not be forced not, but eventually they will be.

We all have to be honest about why this bothers people so much. America has always valued freedom of religion, right? There are still many christians living in the United States today, although sometimes in the shadows, who are fighting this as well. (Trying anyway.) Gay couples are offended when a church denies them, and it will already get worse, they already sue people who refuse to serve them a wedding cake, which will get worse. Mayor Bloomberg already thinks it might be a good idea to force churches to marry homosexual couples. That's pretty alarming to me, and many other christians I know. I'm not to surprised since it is Mayor Bloomberg we're talking about here, but all the hippies & New agers seem to love him. Hm, wonder why.

Whether you believe in God or not, I do. Whether you believe the story of Sodom & Gomorrah or not, I do. Whether you believe in the bible or not, I do.. and plenty of others do to, and they have for ages. Try to see this from our perspective a little bit first. Not all christians were Roman Catholics who went on massacring people (They also killed christians who owned bibles at one time.) Most of us are quite comfortable living in Gods ways and truth everyday in America while already denying things like Movies, television, video games.. etc. But I feel as though it is getting to be a huge heavy burden on christians, jews, and muslims everywhere. You guys think we are being to harsh, when really.. In our opinions.. We been fighting all kinds of things for a long time, not just gay marriage. To us, the number of unbelievers is increasing dramatically, at a faster rate than ever. The interest in Pedophilia & Polygamy has skyrocketed, other than homosexuality. I used to watch nothing BUT the history channel, and the NatGEOWild channels, or military channels. Now, I cannot watch the history channel without seeing some type of sick sex obsessed commercials. Even with the new "How sex changed the world" "How playboy changed the world" like, really? This is way more than just homosexuality to us. When I am watching "The Universe" With a child and the Big letters S E X pop up with a woman moaning, than what? Well, I tell you what... I have not turned the history channel on ever since. The show Polygamy, on National Geographic.. Um, they twist religion to mean anything.. that I can say about wicked people... "Taboo USA", really? come on.. people have a fetish for all these freak hobbies and adorations. I'm sorry.. just saying what I feel. "Sex robots" on Discovery health? Is that the most these people can plan to do for us with technology? Oh man.. Science is great, but I believe science actually proves creation. We can talk about that if you like, some other time. As you can see, this is far more important to us than JUST homsexual marriages. What about all the corruption constantly increasing? All the murders? All the genocide? You can't tell us "oh, you wouldn't even notice unless you worked in the wedding business." So not true. Not true if you keep up tabs on the world. I see the entire world going down in flames. Whether you see things my way or not, it's the way I feel. Why all the attention to child brides all of a sudden? Well, now the Pedophiles think it's okay to do what they feel as well. How do you feel about this one? What do you think? I can tell you what I think... They bring up the old days in Rome, the ancient days of Islam etc. Our psychiatrists label pedophillia as a mental disorder, just as they did homosexuality... now ... do you think they were born that way, or is it a mental disorder? Then you have Pseudo-Pedophillia where men or women will mastubate so much, they lose their libido for adults... and turn to children or animals.. Look it up, this stuff is real. All the paraphiliacs on the planet feel the way you do right now, & they feel oppressed as well. Well, If America keeps going the path it's going.. I do not see how this country will stand. A house divided within or against itself absolutely CANNOT stand. When does it end? Honestly? What would you do if the pedophile in your neighborhood came up to your younger brother or sister & said, "I can't help who I'm attracted to!" Now, would you tell them to go get some mental help? Yes, I am comparing, but please read my whole post, from an unbiased perspective. Can you tell me where it will end? I'm just saying. To me, homosexuality is becoming more of a trend than anything these days. Those who victimize themselves run to it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mindlessbrainpower89

Churches in America can refuse to marry anyone for whatever reason. And NO, that us not going to change.

They are not required to give you a reason.

The special extra protection clauses the religious are insisting upon, are really kind of redundant.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Okay, I'll bet you it will change eventually.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

What?

200 years from now, when people understand sexual orientation is a completely natural occurance, and don't care anymore?

Kind of like when the religious once thought seizures were being possessed by the devil.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Fetishes?

That has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Just like that gay couple in Colorado who are suing a baker for refusing to bake them a wedding cake, a gay couple will sue a church for not doing ceremonial services for them. Mark my words.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

en.wikipedia.org...

Fetishes?

That has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Maybe you need glasses. Go read it again. Daddy isn't going to do the homework for you.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

What?

200 years from now, when people understand sexual orientation is a completely natural occurance, and don't care anymore?

Kind of like when the religious once thought seizures were being possessed by the devil.

How do you know every single religious person believed this at that time? Were you there?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Here, educate yourself on Pedophiles.

GOOD: You're a member of a growing group of psychologists who say pedophilia should be considered a sexual orientation. Why?

Quinsey: Part of the definition of pedophilia is a person has a preference for a particular kind of partner. [...] pedophiles, unlike other men, show substantial sexual interest in prepubescent children. As far as we know—and many people have tried—these sexual interests are not modifiable by any method that’s been tried yet. So it appears like pedophilia is a sexual orientation. [...] You also can’t modify that interest; it’s stable through adulthood, just like pedophilia. cogsci.stackexchange.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Churches in America can refuse to marry anyone for whatever reason. And NO, that us not going to change.

The special extra protection clauses the religious are insisting upon, are really kind of redundant.

If I am not mistaken, haven't there been plenty of discussions in the media about how gay couples SHOULD have ceremonial rights? I expect you to be an adult about this and tell the truth. If you don't, I'll prove you wrong just so everyone can see how foolish you are and the rest of those who follow the leader.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

If I am not mistaken, haven't there been plenty of discussions in the media about how gay couples SHOULD have ceremonial rights? I expect you to be an adult about this and tell the truth. If you don't, I'll prove you wrong just so everyone can see how foolish you are and the rest of those who follow the leader.

There are plenty of churches very happy to marry same sex couples.

Gays are just people (individuals) --- do you think those with strong religious belief just abandon them?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Wow! Great hardcore facts that came from a place where people ask questions to the general public and get answers from the general public! Great Facts!
Anyone could be a researcher. By the way, if you are a student in political science does that make you a politician?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Wow! Great hardcore facts that came from a place where people ask questions to the general public and get answers from the general public! Great Facts!
Anyone could be a researcher. By the way, if you are a student in political science does that make you a politician?

It was the first site I pulled up. There are others. I've been following gay rights for about 20 years. I know what's out there.

Are you from another country?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

There are plenty of churches very happy to marry same sex couples.

Gays are just people (individuals) --- do you think those with strong religious belief just abandon them?

They should, if they were REAL Christians or a believer in G-d. Who says they are very happy to marry same sex couples? Maybe they are doing it, to save their own ass so they don't have to deal with the IRS. Which again, is breaking code of conduct as far as being Christian. We as Christians and Jews are suppose to gladly accept persecution in the face of evil.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join