It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing in a Sick World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

The Maestro says it's Mozart
but it sounds like bubble gum
-Leonard Cohen

I see so little light in this world lately. I see BS everywhere: commercials, media slants, people caught in group think, self-interested Narcissists and arrogant cliques. I listen to beautiful music or look at beautiful weather and the beauty feels so faint. I see so much lies, manipulation, deceit and self-deception, and very little that’s right and true. I’m tired of excusing humanity for its lack of compassion, wisdom and common sense.

I see a world run by mental illness, based on greed. I see most people living, more or less, for love (a spouse, kids, family,) yet the world is run by criminals who want only for themselves at the expense of everything else. They brainwash the public into seeing things their way and it’s very hard to break the status quo in the minds of the public.

I also see a lot of chameleons: people who adapt to their surroundings: when in a high-competitive environment they are dog-eat-dog, when in a mature and executive environment they are polite and mature (to your face) and when society breaks down (even during a temporary riot) seemingly ordinary people turn into savages. Not that everyone is like this, as some are centered and strongly rooted in what the world has made of them (for better or for worse.)

I see Public Indoctrination Centers for mind control which they simply call “education” and I see money-driven empires called “corporations” buying and selling literally everything that they can for a buck. I see laborers who are working their lives away to make someone else richer, sometimes killing themselves slowly in the process. I have a co-worker who needs the medical coverage the job offers and yet it is killing her (asthma and shellfish processing are a bad combination.) She has nowhere else to turn. The local economy is devastated. She pointed out the other day how none of us are earning anything from this job; we’re all just surviving. Heartwarming, huh?

How many people do you know who would laugh in your face if you ever used the term “right and true?” Of course, self-righteous BSers who act so proper one moment and then steal from their neighbor the next will talk this language, because they’re full of it. But really, what does right and true mean to this world? If asked, who could answer?

We hear words like “brilliant,” “genius” and “fantastic” all the time, but when is the last time you’ve heard words like “noble,” “honorable” or “sacred”? It seems that sensationalism has replaced everything of substance. How many real life horror stories have you heard people remark of as entertainment?

Real artists suffer in a world that does not understand them or appreciate what they have to share because people now have instant access to TV and Internet and thus endless music and visual art for free. The ‘artists’ who do make it big are often hacks who were both lucky and good at marketing themselves. Take Brittany Spears. A famous singer, yet she cannot sing or even write her own songs. Yet, she is celebrated in our culture as a “successful artist,” while real artists commit suicide, live on the streets or sell a piece of their soul every day in some go-nowhere job to pay the bills.

Whenever someone steps out to speak the truth, to point out that you do not have to go to Church or join the Freemasons to find enlightenment, they are put to death. Whenever someone stands up against the big money-making powers, they are put to death. Whenever someone fights for peace instead of division, they are out to death. This is a very sick world. The virus of greed may not run all families but it does seem to run all nations, organizations and communities. Anyone who speaks against the sickness and offers the cure (being right and true) is silenced. The illness is self-defensive. Sometimes the infected are exposed (corrupt leaders are brought down or less-powerful wrong-doers are sent to prison,) but the virus lives on.

You may view this sickness in different respects: psychological, spiritual, intellectual or abstract. No matter which way you view it, deep down, you know what I am talking about. It’s “Lord of the Flies” by Golding, it’s “Animal Farm” by Orwell, it’s “It” by Stephen King. It’s greed, it’s fear, it’s hate. It’s all rooted in insecurity, which reinforces the belief in division: placing trust in mistrust. What path does this mentality build for us? Where is it taking us? Anywhere we want to go?

I want to believe. I stand alone, waving my solitary flag: right and true. The Yahoos laugh at me. Everyone else is too busy playing the survival game to question the trap they are in or to consider if there might be a way out.

We built this. We can build something new. It’s always been our choice. We make it up as we go along. The visionaries always lead the show. The less imaginative the majority are the more powerful the visionary few are. Maybe it’s time for a revolution of inspiration.

edit on 18-5-2013 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wonderful rant and one we are seeing more and more of these days. At my age I must confess I am rather cynical and don't see any real improvement of life and its people. I have been weighed down by too many years of what is wrong in the world. It takes its toll after a while I suppose for those who were once strong and vibrant and now have seen heard and experienced too much.

Still, without hope, what is left? I guess we can only try and make the best of every day and do what we can. Hold on to the love, family and the friendships that we have that bring us joy. Be out in nature, listen to music, be creative etc. If you can fight the system somehow, do what you can. I don't know, I am just one of the many trudging my way through.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia
reply to post by LoneCloudHopper2

TL;DR

What does that mean?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

It means "Too long, didn't read." I am saying nothing about the person who wrote it, but as a comment it is not only useless, contributing nothing, but it is also a slap to the OP, and a measure of the lack of seriousness of the commenter.

It is not a despicable thing to say, but it is rude, vulgar, and childish.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Thanks for the translation. yeah, why bother coming in here and saying anything at all then?

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Great read OP. I agree with most everything you said, and the person who made that TL;DR comment is only a product of all the problems you have pointed out.
I find it it quiet ironic really.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

It wasn't too long and I enjoyed reading it... a few times.

Such a wonderful expression of your sentiment.

edit on 18-5-2013 by Perhaps because: blah

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I've felt that way many times, so I chose to not pay attention for the most part to what is happening around the world, only what is happening in my immediate surroundings with the people I deal with day to day. Helps me to keep my own light shining.

That is a wonderful rant though, and very true.
I termed it GTSD once, global; traumatic stress disorder. The world is in a state of shock and has been for some time.

Negative media is a big problem, people relive other peoples traumas over and over again. It effects them too, even if they don't realize it.

s&f

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

TL;DR

Posts like these are Too Stupid; Not Needed.

OP, we bumped into each other when I had a similar feeling of expression. Someone once told me a while back that we live in a parallel, reverse universe. We live in a paradigm that is the epitome of untruth. Beauty is not appreciated, art is debased, love is scoffed at, and compassion is a foreign feeling.

The things that will get you ahead in this universe are greed, narcissism, hate, violence, and apathy.

Just keep your faith in goodness alive, my friend, even if we are forever a subverted minority.

edit on 18-5-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you, Night. Well said and I agree. We must do what we can that is positive.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Thank you for replying.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perhaps

It wasn't too long and I enjoyed reading it... a few times.

Such a wonderful expression of your sentiment.

edit on 18-5-2013 by Perhaps because: blah

Wow, thanks.

I sometimes write these but I rarely post what I write. I only do if I believe in it when I read it over afterwards.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I termed it GTSD once, global; traumatic stress disorder. The world is in a state of shock and has been for some time.

That's clever and I think you are right! We are off-balance somehow as we are not being true to ourselves. It could be that we are not dealing enough with our problems, as individuals or as a people. Some of us will do the soul-searching and 'inner work,' but many don't (especially if their illness is making them successful.)

I guess I sometimes deal with things by blocking out what isn't right in front of me too. Sometimes I indulge in video games, movies or other escapes. But afterwards, it always comes back to reality.

Your point about "negative media" is interesting in its relevance. The News can certainly over-dramatize everything from violence to bad weather. I forget who it was but someone once said that you keep hearing about how terrible the world is and yet when you're outside you realize that most people, most times, most places are pretty decent with each other. Viewers seem be more drawn in by fear than positivity.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

When I was younger there was a time when I seriously considered if this was Hell and The Devil ruled this world. I no longer consider that but I still see why I felt that way. It's a sad world when you truly look at it.

Thanks for commenting and it's good to see you again.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
All I can say is I share your weariness, and while I might disagree with what it is you personally regard as "right and true" (you didn't specify; for all I know we'd agree completely,) I too find the blatant commerciality, soullessness, lack of compassion, and superficiality of everything literally painful and, at times, exhausting.

All I can do is believe in love - even as my existential skepticism begins to make me wonder what it even is these days - try to act on it, and live as best I can until I die. (And take comfort in what artistry does still seem to stem from a place of genuine expression.)

Getting off the internet occasionally helps some. (But only some.)

Peace.
edit on 5/19/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Wonderful post. I feel the same way. Never give up - the world needs people like you!

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Profound and straight from the heart so to speak.
Fear not as there are more that think, see, and feel a very similar dilemma.
You are never alone in this enigma, do not isolate yourself from the marvels beyond this orchestrated game.
It's strange that I came across this post as I have been pondering and reveling on the same concepts and observations this whole week. Felt pretty bleak until I went on a splendid hike between the mountains and by God it was rejuvenating. A great way to attain some clarity and perspective. We may already be living in a zombie apocalypse but there are still allot of things that can make us laugh and relate whilst the feeding frenzy continues to devour a meaningless existence. So chin up fellow fellow thinker, when the # hits the fan it will be people like us that will find each other and stick together.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
All I can say is I share your weariness, and while I might disagree with what it is you personally regard as "right and true" (you didn't specify; for all I know we'd agree completely,) I too find the blatant commerciality, soullessness, lack of compassion, and superficiality of everything literally painful and, at times, exhausting.

All I can do is believe in love - even as my existential skepticism begins to make me wonder what it even is these days - try to act on it, and live as best I can until I die. (And take comfort in what artistry does still seem to stem from a place of genuine expression.)

Getting off the internet occasionally helps some. (But only some.)

Peace.
edit on 5/19/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for commenting.

By "right and true" I just meant being honest and true to your heart (what you know to be right.) Lies are lies, cruelty is cruelty, and yet people can often go along with such things, excuse them or ignore them. I cannot. Not everything has a black and white, right and wrong to it, but often we know what is right. When a company is making a huge profit and then decides to work their employees harder to squeeze more profit from them while not raising their salaries and BSing them with “it’s a completive market” this is wrong because they’re intentionally lying to, and taking advantage of them. If a company was struggling and treated their workers fairly and yet the workers were demanding more pay, this would be different. It all depends on the scenario.

I would think that most of us would naturally learn this at a young age but it's surprising how many people decide to view reality as multiple choice. A lot of people just want for themselves and they will lie, cheat and steal and then put on an innocent face and justify everything they've done which is clearly wrong. It reminds me of a book I once read where the author interviewed a number of psychotic killers in prison. In every case he seemed to encounter the same scenario: first they would deny doing it, and when this was proven untrue they would claim that they had no choice or felt forced into it, and when this was proven untrue they would go into their own sob stories (as if somehow this excuses their own actions.)

Some people really do seem to think that reality is multiple choice.

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DiscreteParticle

Thank you. You too. It can be very difficult sometimes but I try to never lose heart.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join