It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

GIMP 2.9, it's a open source version of Adobe Photoshop.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

GIMP doesn't work with Photoshop actions.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Ow ok, I've heard of GIMP but have zero experience with it sadly.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Not sure what you mean?

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

It's what us poor people use, hehehe, especially if you can't afford $19.99 per month to use photoshop CC....and legally you can't purchase any earlier version AFAIK.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) that's open sourced and design to work with multiple OS (Linux, Windows, OS X, etc).

Here's a link to their official web site:

GIMP

Here's some screen shots of me using it:

It also comes with a lot of preset tools (which you can adjust too) that they call "Filters"

The cool thing about GIMP? It's completely free, and open source. That means there are a LOT of mods out there for it made by people that are also free that can be downloaded and added (Plugins).

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

intergalactic fire was talking about automated actions from Photoshop, and although those can be used on other computers that use Photoshop, they cannot be used in Gimp.

Photoshop actions are a list of Photoshop commands that are repeated automatically by Photoshop. As they are Photoshop commands they do not exist in Gimp, so the only way is to convert manually the individual commands in a Photoshop action into the Gimp equivalent, probably by using the Python automation mechanism Gimp uses.

I'm not sure about the Python part, as I never used automation in Gimp myself.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Ah, I just assumed he was referring to the automatic functions (like noise reduction, blur, etc) that GIMP also does, just labeled differently. Not give me an actual executable command.

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Hi here is a link for some GIMP youtube astrophotography tutorials HERE
edit on 12-3-2018 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Thanks, I'll check them out.

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Well they are automated actions.
In photoshop you can create actions by recording certain changes you make to an image so in the future you can just click the action or use a shortcut key to apply the changes automatically. I'm making a special pack just for astrophotography but I also have several I made for my landscape photography. Pretty useful option for me.

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Chomping at the bit here.

Only had one night that I could take pictures, and I was busy that night so couldn't.

All the rest of the nights have been overcast, very cloudy, or rain....grrrrrrr.

Spring.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Same here...

I have been holding off on buying equipment because of the weather. We had some clear nights, but to much moister in the air. The weather has been very wet here...

Next week, 60% rain for the whole week. : (

It'll probably be in summer when I break out the camera.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Finally was cleared up last night, but the winds were gusting to 40 Mph or more. Would have knocked out any alignment, and even blown over my mount.

The weather might cooperate finally tonight. Have to wait and see.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Although I havn't had much of a chance to do much astrophotography recently (between the crap weather and putting together a 4k fireball monitoring camera system), I thought I'd better contribute something. Here are a pair of timelapses (4k resolution) I shot over night of the 20th/21st March simultaneously.

Facing SW:
vimeo.com...

Approximately 5 hrs or 1612 individual 10 sec exposures condensed into a little over a minute of footage. At least two aircraft, three meteors, and numerous satellites captured. Canon 1Ds MkII + 24mm 1.4L MkI. 10s, ISO1600, f1.4. Software used: C1 Pro + Davinci Resolve.

Facing N:
vimeo.com...

Approximately 5 hrs or 1608 individual 10 sec exposures condensed into a little over a minute of footage. Polaris is at the top of the field of view, and all other stars appear to rotate around it. I counted over 80 (obvious) satellites, and two aircraft. Many of the satellites are only visible as brief flares, and at least some of these are likely "space junk". A thorough analysis would probably reveal many more.

A few keen eyed members here might also spot a tri-satellite formation at one point in the timelapse.

There are also slight hints of "air-glow" visible in the sky, which look like a very faint red and green haze that drifts through the field of view over the course of the timelapse. Equipment/settings: Canon 1Ds MkII + 24mm 1.4L MkI. 10s, ISO1600, f1.4. Software used: C1 Pro + Davinci Resolve.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
hello everybody reading here, it has been a while since we met and exchanged pictures of our faraway stars and lights. i know the weather has been nearly constantly unfavorable for astro photographers.

but last night, as i looked up to the sky i couldn't help but exhaling a seriously astonished oh my god !

there was this enormous halo around the moon. it was so huge, i could not even fit it into my camera

(you know i haven't got the most exciting camera, and now it is even threatening to give up its spirit)

i post an other pic of it, with a bit of a tree visible, just so you might get a better sense of the magnitude of this halo. it covered the best part of the sky i could see.

or is it a corona? maybe the two are the same. i read that the moon has a halo/corona before weather changes. the weather here sure changed to the worse.

then again i hope that for most of you summer is approaching and with that clear views for your magnified adventures into the nebulous faraways

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I wanted to see how bad my cell phone camera is for astrophotography and pointed it at Hercules.

Cropped from one of the original images. It looks horrible, but can see the Hercules constellation. The highest ISO is 800, and the longest shot is 10 sec.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8
10 sec.
f/1.7 4.3mm
ISO 800

The camera can pick up satellites

Stacked 80 images in DSS and edited Hercules in Painshop Pro. There was some light cloud streaks, the image would of been better had it been totally clear. The weather has been horrible this year.

I was surprised, it's not horribly bad. Maybe next time I'll try it on the Milky Way etc...

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lucia2389
or is it a corona? maybe the two are the same. i read that the moon has a halo/corona before weather changes. the weather here sure changed to the worse.

I believe the corona is the flaring around the sun that can usually only be seen during an eclipse.
I think sometimes other similar events are referred to as 'coronas' but only the solar is accurately described this

anyway thanks for pics!
edit on 15-7-2018 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on Jul, 16 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lucia2389

A Moon halo is caused by ice crystals high in the atmosphere it happens quite often.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: spacedoubt

Can I get some info about a star that I am seeing it's very bright and bigger as compared to the other stars I tried to take the best pic and video as I could with my smartphone but the pic and video isn't good so I just wanted to know can anyone has a way to find out what that star or planet whatever that is and I live in India I did screenshot the direction on the compass app and I can get the latitude and longitude as well can anyone provide some help ??

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dranwarren89

Stellarium a free program for PC and other operating systems.

stellarium.org...

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join