It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death is an Illusion

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Tell that to the spider I killed the other day, I didn't mean to kill him or her, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but to that spider I do not believe death was an illusion.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
This is a very interesting thread. First, let's define "death." If death is taken to mean the cessation of bodily functions, then I must disagree with the OP's premise. In such a case, death is not an illusion at all. However, if death is to be defined as a cessation of being, then I would have to agree with the notion of this being an illusion.

Let's say a loved one has just died and you go to wake, funeral, burial ceremony, and watch this person get interred. Every weekend for 10 years you visit the grave, and pay your respects and the tombstone. You hear reports of other family members feeling the deceased one's "presence" and even you yourself can sometimes "feel" something - perhaps intuit would be the better word.

In keeping with the premise of death being an illusion, such feelings become explainable. As has been mentioned elsewhere, everything is made of energy. When "death" occurs, what occurs isn't a cessation of being, but rather a transmutation and transfer of energy. When considering such things as reincarnation, we must ask about the nature of consciousness. Is energy inherently conscious or is it necessary to have a brain? Although, the brain is itself made up of energy - so how could unconscious energy form consciousness? If we assume that energy is conscious apart from the brain, then does it maintain its consciousness or is it altered after "death?"

I particularly enjoyed reading the thread about energies heading towards places of affinity. This would mean if you are a negative person, the energy that made you would be drawn to other areas of negative energy - something some would call "hell" (if I understood this correctly). What kind of lesson is to be learned here? Oddly enough, it is one not for death, but for life. Realizing we are all part of one whole is the first step to learning how to get along better. In Thailand, Buddhists pray to spirits and a universal energy. For them there is no God, but rather a constant to which we're all connected and the act of prayer produces positive energy. Thus if you pray for health and receive it, you have not been blessed by God, but rather have reaped the rewards of adding positive energy to the universe.

When it comes down to it, everything you see is really a manifestation of the same thing - existence. That is to say separation itself is also an illusion - insofar as there are no separate "realities." A book and a window are, for example, simply two different representations of existence.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulpowertothendegree
Death is an Illusion

I have a view of the “death experience” from first hand knowledge. The fear we have associated with death is something we are taught, not something we were born with. We are forced to witness funerals that perpetuate negativity rather than celebration.

Agree with you on this point...S&F

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Death is the most real event

And resurrection is the point where we will learn how right the system works.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

The brain stops once the soul leaves. The heart stops, but the energy has to go somewhere.

Death is an illusion. Do not fear it.

Soul.

The law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant. A consequence of this law is that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

".........energy cannot be created or destroyed. "

Does that kind of prove the afterlife? Your life energy cannot end, therefore you go on forever in some form. I believe that proves that SOMETHING needs to happen (for those that believe that death is the end).

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnwilkesbooth

The brain stops once the soul leaves. The heart stops, but the energy has to go somewhere.

Death is an illusion. Do not fear it.

Soul.

The law of conservation of energy states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant. A consequence of this law is that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

".........energy cannot be created or destroyed. "

Does that kind of prove the afterlife? Your life energy cannot end, therefore you go on forever in some form. I believe that proves that SOMETHING needs to happen (for those that believe that death is the end).

Mr. Booth, while I concede that you were definitely the Tom Cruise of your day, I have to disagree with your suggestion that Newton's 1st Law of Thermodynamics has any business being applied to the question of the survival of the human mind following the death of its brain. Equating conscious awareness with energy (the potential and/or expending capacity for force) seems to be a popular fallacy, but it remains a fallacy nonetheless. There is nothing that suggests that conscious awareness - as a physical quantity - shares any inherent properties with energy, as the definite physical quantity that it has been observed and finitely categorized to be in its variety of related forms. In fact, the use of the term "energy" in this specific case seems to be more as a placeholder term in the same way that the term "infinite" is used in mathematics.

By the way, your Marc Antony to Edwin's Brutus was indeed a NYC 1864 theater season highlight, your next five months or so of activity notwithstanding.
edit on 4/30/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I said since the beginning that death is a lie......

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by giugliot

Very interesting article, I read that one a long time ago and remember parts of it but didn't remember where I had seen it. I try to tie parts of research to my mind that may be needed in the future. I'll bookmark interesting articles and reread them later before deleting them. This keeps my bookmarks from being overwhelming. It also makes it hard to have proof to verify my knowledge.

I can't figure how people can find an article like that on Science Daily with a search. Using keywords to refind it is almost impossible unless you bookmarked it. Tried to find articles on their site that I had read but not bookmarked later to no avail many times. So many articles on that site to search through that are related. I have read Science Daily articles every day for about seven years now, anything that interests me at the time. It is a great source of information.

I liked the way you associated that to the subject

edit on 30-4-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Whatever energy you are feeling is the one you will gravitate to when you are relocated, recycled, rejuvenated, reborn or any other example you wish to call it.

And what happens to a soul which has been put intentionally (or by chance) into a society full of hatred and fear? What in the first place can bring a pure soul full of light into a world of suffering, struggle, and despair? From your opening post, it can be concluded that you believe in gravity/attraction, in other words, associative transition of souls to places which are close to their energy profile. But so many baby humans and even animals are so innocent and cute, regardless of their future experiences. How do you explain that?
edit on 30-4-2013 by mrkeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oannes
I have read that the mind is a field that lies outside of the head. This Native American wisdom says it all : "There is no death, only a change of worlds." - Chief Seattle, Suquamish tribe.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by illum1nat1
Tell that to the spider I killed the other day, I didn't mean to kill him or her, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but to that spider I do not believe death was an illusion.

And now the spider's spirit is haunting you. He won't let you forget. He's still alive. Just not a spider anymore.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Life is an illusion and death is just an idea that happens in life.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

I was forced to confront this very issue today. Our family pet Leah was run over by a car. I feel very sad, yet there is a lesson I am forced to learn from this experience. I have 2 nieces that like to run around in the neighborhood and they sometimes play in the street, the area we live in has some high traffic at times and people that drive are often distracted, thus creating the opportunity for these tragic events to occur. The person that ran over Leah kept going and likely had no idea that they even hit her, but I am grateful it was not one of my nieces. It will not change how I feel about death. It only enhances it. Embrace life and those around you, but I am certain Leah has graduated to another place in the evolution of her soul and she remains with me.

Soul

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Awesome Post! Thank You!

I'm a firm believer in the idea that when we pass we join either the great positive collective energy (heaven) or the great negative collective energy (hell)... so be mindful of what energy your resonating with. Always.

“Death is a natural part of life.

Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force.

Mourn them do not.

Miss them do not.

- Yoda

edit on 30-4-2013 by ReAwakened because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2013 by ReAwakened because: image link error

edit on 30-4-2013 by ReAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Seems to me that our life is more of an illusion than death in this present world.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Peace, Death of the body is not an illusion but neither is the soul, both are real and the soul lives on, there are good and bad souls just as there are good and bad people. when you watch a death and see the tendrils of white mist that move away as the death occurs before being lost to our sight (Only sensitive's can see and to varying degree's) you know there is more to life than this bit of terminal dandruff but I do hope there is a heaven and a hell as this world could be a paradise except for the bad and selfish people whom show more in common with a pack of ravenous wolves than the rest of us.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I like reading about reincarnation, NDE's, and ghosts. So many of these stories and many share similar points that makes them hard to discount as someone just making something up for recognition. Of course, I'm sure that there are a fair number that are making up stories, especially on a site such as this one where talk like this is encouraged and celebrated. But the number of stories out there are just too vast to believe that every single one of them is lying through their teeth. The point I'm getting at is that there comes a point where the number of stories told can bump the anecdotal evidence up into the hard evidence category.

In any case I think the spirituality spoken about in many eastern religions has more going for it then all of the western religions. Though you can find some things in the western religions that is true and enlightening (once you strip all the ceremony and tradition from it).

I say all this from the standpoint of an agnostic. There is evidence of these things being true, you just have to be willing to let go of certain notions and perceptions of the world that science has a tough time doing. I am not speaking of faith here, but rather flaws in our sciences that have clouded our judgments and perceptions. Though to come full circle as an agnostic, I do not lean towards any one belief until I can experience these things myself.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Well, according to Christianity, people are already dead. You need to be "born again", into the true life, to understand that what you think of today as life, is just death. People are the Zombies, and born again Christians are the living folk that have to navigate their passage among the dead, as they walk the streets. The Zombies are all lusting after human flesh. And the living Xtians are free from that lust, since they are fed by the holy spirit, and satisfied therewith. The whole movie series on the Walking Dead, is just a metaphor of the Christian idea of life and death.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Your brain starts failing, lots of different chemicals are released, including '___' causing extreme time dilation and hallucinations. This occurs at death and is interpreted as the after-life. That's it.

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Right now i dont think death is an illusion.

How could you think of death as an illusion? Clearly it is not an illusion, but maybe you mean death is not death that it is something else.

Maybe you should be asking yourself what death really is instead of telling yourself death is an illusion.

What is the reality of death?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join