It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VICE: How to prepare for a North Korean invasion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

everything discussed in that article is blisteringly obvious

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

everything discussed in that article is blisteringly obvious

So tell us about your trip to NK

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

So it would be logical to just kill off the leaders and heads of state and then install a new U.S.favorable leadership to avoid a long bloody war that will kill millions.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Just in case some of you are deluded in the strength of your own nation's armies,
Let me say that North Korea WILL INVADE South Korea.
It is INEVITABLE .. it's going to happen.

They don't prepare for such a war for no reason, and they really have little to lose.
Their entire nation is geared towards warfare.

And, so many think that North Korea will be a pushover. Allow me to explain some things to you.
IF we pre-emptively strike North Korea from the air, then alright, assuming we'd have the initiative, we could blow them down to size, then worry about the ground war.

HOWEVER .. if North Korea gets the initiative, and invades the South, we're in for a LONG, SERIOUS, CONFLICT.
If you're skeptical, look back to the first Korean War. WE LOST THAT #.. yes, we did.
And then, look at the Vietnamese War. WE LOST THAT #, too, yep.
So what makes you think a war with North Korea (round 2) would be much different?
They're better than ever, so are we, but this simply means more destruction and death during the conflict. They're willing to die EASILY for their cause ... and will use massed-human-tactics, suicidal tactics, to overpower.

I'll just say "I told you so", It's going to be the next MAJOR WAR, and will make these Middle Eastern conflicts LOOK LIKE A JOKE, bruh.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
That "insiders" perspective has been in every fictional Korean war novel since the 70's. The problem for the North is they know they can not invade the south with any chance of success.

Really?

I disagree wholeheartedly. lol.

They have South Korea beat already, they massively overpower and outnumber the South Korean defensive forces. South Korea's only hope would be NATO and the United States, which didn't do a WHOLE LOT of good during the First Korean War, considering we lost that war, IMO.

If it were simply the North vs the South, the South would have very, very little chance of defending themselves ultimately. The North Korean army is too disciplined, well-trained, hardcore, willing to die, and too well equipped. They'd outnumber their opponents, and out-gun them, and out-bravado them as well.

Even if US/NATO comes to the rescue, the best they'd do is keep the North Koreans contained to their side of the fence. As for the North Korean regime being destroyed in such a war? Hardly any chance..

It really seems like alot of people are deluded in the 'strength' of Western warfare.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
lol..................invasion...............lmao................................................lol.........................lol.................ok im done here.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
But still - the idle of losing a war: Is not achieving your goals.
List based on the idle of achiving the goal set forth in the war.
USA:

American Revolution. Win.
First Barbary War. Win.
War of 1812. Stale mate with the United states gaining some land.
Second Barbary War. Win.
Texas Revolution. Win. (A.K.A. *** hole American Settler war)
Mexican American war. Win.
Paraguay Expedition. Win.
American Civil war. Techincally a Win.
Spanish American War. Win.
WWI. Win.
WWII. Win. (Allied)
Korea. Status Quo.
Vietname. Lose.
Gulf War. Win.
Somali Civil War. Lose.
Bosnian War. Win.
Kosovo. Win.

edit on 27-3-2013 by Stingray77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-3-2013 by Stingray77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Certainly that's a factor, but, they need be TOLD what to do, not bargained with. They're programmed through social conditioning in the culture via an oppressive regime to respond better to being told what to do, and even think, as opposed to being given a choice. Too much freedom to choose, even when it comes to negotiating surrender is a language the culture isn't conditioned to respond to. "Your great leaders are defeated. We are now your leaders. Do as we command. Surrender NOW." is the kind of phraseology that will garner more favorable response as opposed to bribery with food or conditional bargains.

Well we need to revisit post WWII Japan who were just as fanatic,there was a reasonably short period of occupation introduce a constitution and off course rebuilding the infrastructure the only problem is building a business class which the Japanese had before WWII,then again the the ex-military officers will do the same thing that post Soviet era military men did switch uniforms for Armani suits and take over making billions.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
With sixty years dedicated towards making up the NK army, and preparing for this conflict.....
The NKs have done a great deal.....
I am just not sure they can sustain the drive if they start the ball rolling.....
Certainly NOT without big brother Chinas help.....
I certainly hope those tunnels have alternate exits because when they start pouring out of them, the air force will close them pretty fast....

The underground bases cant grow food for the sustenance of the whole country id bet either.....
So their usefulness is limited to how long they stay underground.....sooner or later they have to move out....

Overwhelming force will be met with newer bombs.....
Vietnam produced a massive gassoline bomb that kills everything within a couple kilometers from the shock wave...

Cruise missiles with tactical nukes abound in the US navy......
They are dial a strength bombs they can adjust to the targets.
NK looks like a loser no matter what....even with their nukes...
They dont dare nuke the south with anything heavy.....
What would they gain by polluting the prize?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

They dont dare nuke the south with anything heavy..... What would they gain by polluting the prize?

Don't underestimate the concept of national suicide,you die I die everybody dies

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldnslo

Any effort of NK to go full bore against SK or the US forces can easily be handled by a single Ohio class submarine with its ability to independently target 84 sites with nuclear weapons before NK had a clue that their demise is just minutes away.

Of course China and Russia might be wondering what all those ocean launch plume signatures are aimed at too. Before they reach apogee, I mean. I knew someone that worked boomers once. He told me that a sub becomes an obvious target once it begins a salvo. Due to time between launches they would be lucky to get more than 2 to three SLBM's away before they themselves were destroyed anyway. Especially close in shore to the whole Asian continent. You can bet that "BIg Sis" best defensive radars and ready response land based systems are pointed in that general direction on full alert for just that purpose. China and Russia for that matter could launch a full retaliatory ICBM strike towards the North American continent long before the first of those 84 MIRVs began raining down on NK cities. And then what?

I'm more concerned with Big Sis than anything North Korea could possibly do.

Agreed. The real reason for all the US Eastern Pacific "posturing". Little Korea is just the upfront consumer advertising.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Great post. S+F

I still call BS though. Sounds like propoganda to me.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I watched on TV that North Koreans disconnected all lines toward South Korea

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

And, so many think that North Korea will be a pushover. Allow me to explain some things to you.
IF we pre-emptively strike North Korea from the air, then alright, assuming we'd have the initiative, we could blow them down to size, then worry about the ground war.

Even after establishing air superiority (almost a given), we'd still stick mostly with drones over NK. They have way too many hardened and hidden anti-aircraft defenses to fly safely. As for a ground war in NK, that'd be suicidal, and stupid. Save that for after months and months of pounding them in the tunnels with MOPs and anti-tunnel warfare measures.

HOWEVER .. if North Korea gets the initiative, and invades the South, we're in for a LONG, SERIOUS, CONFLICT.

Even with a US decapitation move killing Un and his regime, we'd still see NK armor and troops roll through the DMZ and invade SK with almost no resistance. We'd have to swoop in quick, create a kill line with aircraft, establish a new defensive line of armor (to prevent more coming in), and then try and get those that got through. That will be VERY messy, and have a lot of civilian SK casualties...especially as NK troops bypass the line, through tunnels into SK, and land on the shores. That would likely take a few months.

The easier way, versus then putting troops in NK, is to simply let some new leadership emerge and want to stop the bombing...one willing to scrap the nuclear ambition, remain communist, and follow the UN line....

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

China and Russia for that matter could launch a full retaliatory ICBM strike

That is pretty unlikely... China and Russia just want NK to be there as a buffer, they aren't going to engage in nuclear war, even if NK does. Neither will we for that matter...even if NK gets a nuke off.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I hope nuclear war doesn't come of this, but if war does break out, that's the end of the north. They'll only be expediting their own inevitable demise if they believe they can take on the far more powerful south and it's American ally.

In anycase, reunification is going to happen, with capitalism getting the upper edge. When your patron (china) is moving towards capitalism, it's only a matter of time before you go that direction as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

They'll only be expediting their own inevitable demise if they believe they can take on the far more powerful south

What?

NK has nearly double the troop count of SK, about 1000 more tanks, and about 50 more subs.
Granted, SK has about 100 more fighters, but that's about the only area where it tops NK...

NK is also far more heavily fortified.

(without the US and allies, of course).

It's only the US and allies that tip the scale for SK....on their own, they'd be annexed within months.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

NK has nearly double the troop count of SK, about 1000 more tanks, and about 50 more subs. Granted, SK has about 100 more fighters, but that's about the only area where it tops NK...

That's besides the point. I never said North Korea wouldn't manage to inflict a major blow on South Korea, but in the end, it will be the South which will emerge the victor, for simple geo-political reasons.

China no longer stands besides North Korea as it used to. Remember how North Korea came about? Kim Il sung was installed by Mao after WWII. America occupied the south; South Korea and North Korea are merely refractions of China and America, or, more abstractly, communism and capitalism.

Communism lost. Capitalism won. Even China can't deny that capitalism builds prosperity, which is why despite its typical intractability with regard to North Korea, China appears to be willing to back off. North Korea is no longer worth the headache - they're deranged.

It's only the US and allies that tip the scale for SK....on their own, they'd be annexed within months.

Which is why the US has agreements with South Korea and Japan.

On another note, South Korea has a 1 trillion dollar economy. If the south were as wantonly inhumane as the North, it would have one of the strongest militaries in the world. But they aren't, because unlike in communist countries, the lives of individuals are deemed important. Thus, between the DMZ, you have one people living in two countries living two tragically different lives: 80 year life expectancy in the south, 68 in the north (and that might even be fudged, given the lack of transparency, hideous living standards, and gross misuse of GDP by the ruling North Korean families), and you know the rest, I'm sure.

I'm only mentioning all this not to enlighten you, but to stress the moral superiority of the south/America over North Korea. North Korea is a historical aberration struggling to stat afloat. They will eventually, for the sake of the poor people of that country, be saved from that nightmare they live in.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

I'm only mentioning all this not to enlighten you, but to stress the moral superiority of the south/America over North Korea.

Hehe, I'm an American...well aware of that...

I just wanted to point out that you said much stronger SK, and militarily speaking, that isn't the case. Economically, sure. However, another thing to consider is that SK's military is (for the most part) made up of more technologically superior weaponry, so even if fewer in number, they are better.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

He is probably giving out disinformation meant to focus the DPRK (North Korea) on incoming bombers when they probably have short range missiles aimed at the kill zone. My guess is that 7 minutes is way too short of a time frame for most bombers and given 2 minutes to confirm and order the missile salvos with a 2 minute duration and and 3 minute flight time that 7 minutes would be about right (2 minute barrage commencing 5 minutes after the attack by the North....which would also allow the maximum number of invading troops into the kill zone without successfully breaching). As to the attack from the tunnels....that is another problem (I would use underground nukes to cave in the tunnel structure).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join