It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol Poisoning Across Libya?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
First up, I hope this meets T&C issues as a story of product tampering. What it happens to be tampering with is almost evil by it's impact and who it is likely to hit hardest but secondary as a substance. That isn't the point...or the horror. This is just wrong.

SOMEONE at the head of the chain of distribution for these products knew something was amiss. They had to and if they didn't, that is the point in need of major reform right there, IMO.

At least 51 people were reported this evening, Monday, to have now died from drinking contaminated alcohol. The number of cases that have been admitted to Tripoli's hospitals is also now put at 551. Victims are being treated at hospitals throughout the capital as well as outside it.

"It's a disaster there," reported one visitor to Tripoli Central Hospital. Doctors there say that there are not enough beds in the emergency room to deal with the number of patients arriving. "It's the first experience of a disaster like this," a doctor at the hospital told the Libya Herald. "We're not trained to deal with a situation like this. The hospital does not have the capacity for such a large number coming." Patients, he said, were still arriving. All the medical teams, doctors and nurses were working hard, he said. Some had not not slept for 24 hours.
(additional spacing by me)

I think it's easy to forget but very important to keep in mind that some of these nations are very new to some of the issues other nations have been handling for decades or more. Libya has been an exceptionally closed society until very recently. That is meant to explain their being overwhelmed in such a crisis mode. It sure is for their system and experience.

At least 13 victims were reported earlier this evening have been sent to Tunisia for treatment. Worryingly, the doctor claimed that the mass poisoning was not from one batch of contaminated alcohol. "These poison cases are not coming just from one source. There is more than one source," he stated. If so, it suggests there could be many more cases in the next couple of days. This is already Libya's biggest case of mass poisoning.
(Source: RSOE Event Index)

I hate to say it, but it sounds like Libya may be in for a rough time with this and it sounds deliberate for lethal product tampering to me? It's one to watch as the sheer numbers climb so quickly.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
People suck.

Need i say more?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Bad booze like in India?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Don't know if you can suss this out Wrabbit but before Gadaffi was ousted, was Libya a alcohol free society like some other Muslims nations? I find this disturbing if this is something we have introduced to the country and someone is not happy with it.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

It's widespread kidney failure and the end of the report states they are bracing in medical facilities across the country. They also have their internal security investigating it, so it sounds like they're taking the criminal aspect very seriously. How scary...to imagine dying by kidney failure over such a thing. What kind of sick, sick mind does it take?

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by zonetripper2065

It's widespread kidney failure and the end of the report states they are bracing in medical facilities across the country. They also have their internal security investigating it, so it sounds like they're taking the criminal aspect very seriously. How scary...to imagine dying by kidney failure over such a thing. What kind of sick, sick mind does it take?

Muslim extremist and Sharia Law,thats who.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
What exactly is the contaminate that is causing this is my question? You don't just get mass kidney failure from a bad batch of hooch, it takes time for the kidneys to shut down. Something is deliberately being put into this alcohol to cause this.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

According to the State Department, Libya was and *IS* an Alcohol free nation (Interesting?) where violation can bring Prison time and major penalties. Apparently, by that, this is spreading across the black or grey market. I find conflicting reports on just how openly it's all done but the State Department 'cheat sheet' on Libya warns it's prohibited.

I picked up on this by way of RSOE as a rare "red" event in terms of the colored strength bars on the main index page which denote seriousness. It's unusual to see one clear across on that scale. I believe it's the number and increasing rate that keyed it as a Haz-Mat disaster listing.

@Kdog

Indeed. That would be cold blooded and ruthless to the point of outright evil in terms of a method to clear out a lower class of people. I think they may be shocked at how wide a class of people it takes down, too. Very foolish as a deliberate action, assuming this is as deliberate as it appears to be.

edit on 12-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thats some crazy stuff.. I wonder where the stuff is coming from then...

edit on 12-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this rabbit. Something I'd likely not hear about if I didn't visit ATS.

And thanks to whoever mentioned the 2011 case in India, I wasn't aware of it.

I think it's too early to make any assumptions. That's a rather late breaking story, I notice that 141 people died in the India incident in 2011, and it was a single source.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Thats some crazy stuff.. I wonder where the stuff is coming from then...

edit on 12-3-2013 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

More than likely homemade product from a novice that watched 1 or 2 episodes of moonshiners.
Seriously though if you don't know what you are doing when distilling alcohol you can make some serious mistakes that could cause great harm to yourself and anyone that consumes your product.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The jihadis at it again. They are intentionally poisoning the supply line to kill the none believers. Only infidels will partake in alcohol.

They most likely put in methanol.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
methanol poisoning.

ethanol is what you drink.

somebody added methanol to a crappy batch to make it more effective, but added to much.
or

some psycho added too much deliberately.

i'll guess the latter.

you wouldn't get that bad of a poisoning from a bad batch,
just a really bad headache.

"foreshot" --- google it
edit on 12-3-2013 by bjax9er because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I did some quick reading on the cases in India, seems pretty common in areas where only black market booze is available or affordable.

I am interested in how rapidly the cases increase, and to see if there are multiple sources. If no multiple sources it's most likely either a bad batch or someone adding something through ignorance, or more likely profit motive.

My grandparents occasionally talked about people getting bad shine back in the day.

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
From a different source...

drinking homemade alcohol
due to methanol in the cheap brew

But locally produced alcohol is much cheaper than foreign imports and is therefore particularly popular among the poorer sections of society.

Boukha, meaning water of life in the local dialect, is made from figs, dates and other fruit, and is often stored in unhygienic conditions.

skynews

methanol poisoning
a cheap local brew
industrial spirits - like methanol - are sometimes used to increase the potency

BBC

edit on 12-3-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Antifreeze create a fast kidney failure...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
sounds like good stuff
Ill take a double

edit on 13-3-2013 by og6996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Wrabbit? ya dont suppose the Brotherhood or otherradical Islamists did this to get the people to stop using alchohol?
They seem to have a rough and ready sense of "justice".

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
The jihadis at it again. They are intentionally poisoning the supply line to kill the none believers. Only infidels will partake in alcohol.

They most likely put in methanol.

Anyway the jihadist are to blame

According qur'an not only muslims are jihadists.

Liberals want their road clear anyway possible.

If Jihadists ban Alcohol , they are blamed

If they let it free they are to blame.

And even if some one has don't something harmful to the drink , Jihadists are to blame.

Liberals want their road to destination at any cost.
edit on 13-3-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

So, finger pointing aside. What's your take on this my middle eastern friend?

<<   2 >>

join