It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's 2013 State of the Union Address

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Since when did a "State Of The Union" speach ever reflect reality?

It's a parade in New Orleans at Mardi Gra. No substance. Just fluff.

You people are discussing non-issues. Just like I did.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Did you watch it?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

This man is ignoring our real problems the same way all the others did. Why he is considered our savior is the question.

Obama: No "red tape" in federal storm response

www.reuters.com...

EXCLUSIVE: Long Beach Woman ‘Fed Up’ With Feds Wraps Storm-Damaged Home In Red Tape

newyork.cbslocal.com...

He's no different. Just a better orator.

edit on 13-2-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

If your going to use the very biased media to get a point, dont use the Republicans mouthpiece CBS or Fox News. You only need to read the heatwrenching words chosen by CBS to see its clearly an attack on Obama.

But, I have no doubt Obama has faults (not as many as GW Bush) and has made mistakes (none as disastourous as GW Bush) and yes he uses a teleprompter (like every president since the.... 60's?)

So why dont you tell me what you want to happen, impeached? assasinated? what do you believe we should do to fix all these problems? starting.. with Mr Obama and the government.

Guess what? I'll listen/read what you have to say with an open mind, unlike 99% of people on this forum who seem to mak their minds up before even listening to Obama.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I think if that roof caved in onto all those morons in that room it would solve a lot of problems.

What a pile of horse s*** this is.
30 minutes in and I am already sick to death of all the monkey claps after every pathetic line of s*** that idiot says.

My favorite line so far was about "keeping the promises we made".
I don't think Obama is capable of keeping a promise to save his life.

The entire Government needs to be removed, completely. Forcefully if necessary and replaced.
Its like a cancer and its killing the world!

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by Maluhia

If your going to use the very biased media to get a point, dont use the Republicans mouthpiece CBS or Fox News. You only need to read the heatwrenching words chosen by CBS to see its clearly an attack on Obama.

But, I have no doubt Obama has faults (not as many as GW Bush) and has made mistakes (none as disastourous as GW Bush) and yes he uses a teleprompter (like every president since the.... 60's?)

So why dont you tell me what you want to happen, impeached? assasinated? what do you believe we should do to fix all these problems? starting.. with Mr Obama and the government.

Guess what? I'll listen/read what you have to say with an open mind, unlike 99% of people on this forum who seem to mak their minds up before even listening to Obama.

Are you surprised that so many people are a bit cynical in regard to the cow excrement spewing from this man's mouth on a regular basis? We've been hoodwinked... again.....and again and again. What these people say means nothing. Why should we still have an open mind at this point? We're friggin sick and tired, with damn well good right to be. I'll catch up with the news on his newest executive orders tomorrow on ATS. Good night and good luck.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Its about time someone went back and reviewed last years SOTU and see just how much of what he said actually transpired. Also, can i please express my dissatisfaction with the job this guy has done without being made out to be a racist for once? Guess what? I disliked Bush part two just as much as you obviously do. These guys work for the corporations, not you and I. He wasn't talking to you and I. Its a wonder they still televise the damned thing. They gotta keep appearance up, though, or all the sleeping baffoons will see through the charade

Anywho, Bush sucked, Obama sucks, the next guys gonna suck. Whadda ya gonna do, ey?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Obama certainly wouldn't mention the increase in the estate tax. Taking the deceased's money is a favorite strategy of the anti-family Left. They don't want you and your family to build. They want to tear it all down.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I watched it live last night. Not a horribly worded speech. I find it interesting it is called "The state of the Union" and rather than talking about the nuts and bolts of our current situation, it is filled with dreams, hopes and agendas. "Just the facts sir". Facts like...actual unemployment percentages, actual percentages of economic growth...actual GDP for the last quarter...etc. This explains our "current state of affairs".

That being said...

I appreciate the humanity of thinking raising the minimum wage is a good idea. It has never really helped in the past. As the minimum wage has historically increased, so does the cost of everything else inflate so you end up living no better. He said it "should be attached to the cost of living" meaning if bread goes up your wages go up...this is almost a good idea. The problem would be that eventually minimum wage and cost would spiral up and out of control and businesses would close...increasing unemployment. I seriously doubt it will pass though. He might get the initial raise through but that will and should be it.

I actually did agree with his points about updating and repairing our deteriorating infrastructure. I work in construction engineering and I shudder every time I look at most of the local roads, bridges and utility delivery systems...they are in a sad state of disrepair. Fix it now...or replace it later. There is no alternatives. If you keep putting it off, it will just cost more money. Money is cheap right now. If they wait til "the economy is doing better" then interest rates will be higher and the work will cost more...common sense holds the answer to this dilemma.

Did not hate the speech...just did not agree with a large part of it.

I actually like Marco Rubio's response. It was clear he was nervous and sweating bullets, but the content of the message was well thought out...not over the top and extreme right wing. I have not got a chance to see Rand Paul's rebuttal...I'll let ya know what I think about that wen I do.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I'm Canadian and I think it's so sad that so many Americans cannot open-mindedly and rationally work together and support helpful initiatives because they are barred from doing so born of nothing but biased hatred for their President.

I'm an American, and I am very disappointed that we can't "open-mindedly and rationally" disagree with a Canadian, about an American President, without being insulted. Your comment only expresses a "biased hatred" of those that disagree with the policies of Mr. Obama, and your own feelings of self righteousness.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Fine, then put forth a well reasoned argument and objection.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think the pre-school initiative is a good one, to give the kids a head start in their learning process because in today's world, to be positioned for the jobs of the new economy, they're going to need as much education as possible.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I'm embarrassed to be part of a forum that prides itself on quality and the cliché of 'denying ignorance' yet the way some of you reply and discuss the speech it’s like your 10yr old children screaming over nothing.

Considering your "contributions", I didn't detect any embarrassment on your part...

agree or disagree with a bit of common sense and decency, no one likes constant rambling bs no matter how ineffective he is. Mitt would have been 10x worse, Mccain would have been 100x worse and Bush was the granddaddy of disasters.

There is no "common sense and decency" in that comment! There is only more "rambling bs"!

I at least will listen to this man with an unbiased and open mind,

Yeah buddy! The following "speaks volumes" in regard to your "unbiased and open mind":

from the looks of things you all had your white hoods and ropes ready before the speech began!

Because you don't know any better:
Most of those "white hoods and ropes" are hidden in the "closets" of many Democrats!

I'm guessing he talks about green energy idea's? about the nuclear issue with north korea? syria? the economy and improving jobs?

Though there was more, your guess is correct!

Mr. Obama loves to talk about grand ideas. It's a true shame that one can't produce "green energy", solve "the nuclear issue with north korea", help "syria", build "the economy", or improve jobs, WITH WORDS.

So... shouldnt we be looking for reasons to help and improve? instead of ignoring our real problems and focusing on 'your' hatred for this man?

REAL PROBLEMS have never been solved with HOLLOW WORDS!

Perhaps you should stop focusing on your hatred of those that disagree with THAT MAN.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

And then what happens when employers can't hire because they have to pay so much? Obama's ideas are not based in the real world where money is not free.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The one thing that I actually did like about Der Fuhrer's speech, was his statement about do we want to believe that the weather that has been happening is just coincidence or do we want to try to do something about it.

Other then that it was mostly BS and playing the emotional card at the end about Guns, come on man, but hey I guess it's his only card he had left to play.
edit on 13-2-2013 by skorpius because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

People who work full time shouldn't be below the poverty line, and with more money, they spend more and they are the ones most likely to plug their money right back into the economy.

I've been for the idea of raising the min wage for a long time, it's the right thing to do and appropriate, and can actually help stimulate the economy, thus creating more jobs than are lost.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I'm embarrassed to be part of a forum that prides itself on quality and the cliché of 'denying ignorance' yet the way some of you reply and discuss the speech it’s like your 10yr old children screaming over nothing.

agree or disagree with a bit of common sense and decency, no one likes constant rambling bs no matter how ineffective he is. Mitt would have been 10x worse, Mccain would have been 100x worse and Bush was the granddaddy of disasters.

I at least will listen to this man with an unbiased and open mind, from the looks of things you all had your white hoods and ropes ready before the speech began!

I'm guessing he talks about green energy idea's? about the nuclear issue with north korea? syria? the economy and improving jobs?

So... shouldnt we be looking for reasons to help and improve? instead of ignoring our real problems and focusing on 'your' hatred for this man?
edit on 13-2-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

What I'm hearing is that you don't agree with how other people vent their frustrations regarding our president. However, just because they deal with things a little different (and, yes, some are a little immature in their statements) doesn't mean that they are "screaming over nothing"
The issues that a lot of us have with the president are valid and significant.
There is NO way of knowing if McCain or Romney would have been any more disastrous than Mr. Obama, so you can't make that statement with any certainty. You can have your opinion, but since it will never happen we will never have that as a fact. (For the record I am not a republican and am not defending either of them)
And the most immature, disrespectful, insulting statement I have seen from all of these posts is your quote that "from the looks of things you all had your white hoods and ropes ready before the speech began!"
It's absolutely ABHORANT that just because someone doesn't like what they are hearing, or is jaded from all of the lies they have already been told by this man, that they don't want to listen to him with an open mind, are that way due to the fact that they are racist or part of the KKK? So because this man is part African American, I am not allowed to disagree with him because if I do then that makes me racist. That is absolutely ridiculous. If an African American disagreed with Bush's statements did that automatically make him a racist?
How can you talk about denying ignorance and then make a statement like that?
As far as his speech goes, there were no surprises. He did the same talking in circles he always does. Contradicting himself at every angle in his futile attempt to try and make everyone happy. And, as usual, for the people that are paying attention, it backfired.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Piper96

Just so long as the opposition to what's been presented by the President is based on a well reasoned argument i.e.: based in fact and not just -he's bad, evil, communist, whatever, then that's a conversation and a discussion or even an argument worth having. Otherwise it's just well either insane or stupid/ignorant as a mere knee jerk reaction without any informed basis in fact, and therefore just irrational hatred or nonsense and indeed childish nonsense at that, and it's embarrassing and makes ATS look stupid and ignorant.

edit on 13-2-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Fine, then put forth a well reasoned argument and objection.

Though you haven't "put forth a well reasoned argument" to object to, here you go...

Although I agree with a prior poster that every single source of green energy needs to be pursued including geothermal, which can be accomplished through grant programs like they have in some parts of Canada where the homeowner gets a rebate for putting in a geothermal system.

While that sounds good, it completely ignores our current financial situation. I am very tired of our government stealing "from Peter, to pay Paul", and borrowing even more from China.

So far the entire thrust has been on stimulating economic growth, and undergoing the necessary transformation in order for the USA to be competitive in a global economy, and to give everyone or as many as possible equal access to jobs and to a middle class income.

The United States lost billions of dollars because of Mr. Obama's past attempts at "stimulating economic growth". What makes you feel that a new "thrust", using the same tactics, would be any more beneficial than those of his past attempts?

I want to see the US turn the corner, which is good for everyone, and I'm not hung up on some sort of irrational anti-Obama hatred, just evaluating what's being proposed and of course these SOTU Addresses are filled with wish lists, much of which never even gets addressed, but these proposals seem doable and are essential, so they need to be addressed with some urgency in one form or another.

Unfortunately, your evaluation ignores the reality of our current problems. A very large portion of our federal budget is wasted because of cronyism and fraud. Until those issues are addressed, and dealt with, the ideas above will only encourage more of the same, and the US will never "turn the corner".

I'm not hung up on some sort of irrational anti-Obama hatred

Perhaps not, but you certainly take great pleasure in insulting those that may disagree with you.

Increase minimum wage to $9 and tie it to cost of living increases.. sounds like the right thing to do, except that it ought to be 10 or even 12/hr.

That's akin to a dog chasing it's own tail. While that sounds like a good idea, who do you think is going to get stuck paying for those increased wages?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Any footage of the Nuge standing up and mooning the crowd? NOW THAT would be worth watching

<< 1    3 >>

join