It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Horse lasagne' sparks new UK food scare.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   

BRITISH authorities have warned the public not to eat beef lasagne sold by the Findus brand and made in France after tests found it contained up to 100 per cent horse meat. In the latest in a string of food scares in Britain, the Food Standards Agency said that "criminal activity" was likely to blame and ordered further tests on the meat for a veterinary drug.

Findus tested 18 of its beef lasagne products manufactured by supplier Comigel in France and found 11 meals containing 60 per cent to 100 per cent horse meat, the agency said.

I just came across this article on News.com.au and had to share!
I sometimes wonder what type of meat is in the pies, curries or burgers I eat! Mince is something that we cook with all the time in Australia and the vast majority of it would be beef. But I've heard more and more sotires lately about food that people think is beef yet turns out to be Horse!

I really hope I haven't been a blind victim of hidden Horse in my meals!

The spokesman added that "fully compliant beef lasagne will be in stores again soon."

I don't think I could ever buy that brand of lasagne again after knowing there were traces of between 60% and 100% horse meat in each one tested.....

Would you knowingly eat Horse meat? I've eaten Kangaroo, Crocodile and Emu willingly before. I'd actually buy Kangaroo again, it was a really nice steak! They do sell them normally in supermarkets just like you'd buy Pork, Beef or Chicken!

Source News.com.au

(Wrong board... Mods please move!! Sorry!)
edit on 7-2-2013 by samuel1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Horse meat is actually very good.

Horse meat vs. Strip steak

According to NutritionData, the strip steak has slightly fewer calories than horse (117 vs 133 calories per 100 grams), though this is obviously not be true for all cuts of beef. Sirloin, for example, contains 142 calories. The meats also have very similar amounts of fat, cholesterol and protein when lean cuts are compared.

Where the meats really differ is iron concentration, with horse meat having double the iron (21% vs 10% DV) that beef contains. It is not surprising that a more athletic animal has more iron, but the magnitude of the difference is striking. Horse meat also contains substantially more vitamin B12 (50% vs 21% DV), but less B6, niacin and folate.

But what's truly impressive is the omega-3 fatty acid concentration in horse meat, which contains 360 mg (per 100 grams) compared to just 21 mg in strip steak. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that need to be obtained from your diet. They are thought to be helpful in fighting against heart disease, stroke and neurodegeneration.

Compared to lean beef, horse meat appears to have some nutritional advantages. If we do ever manage to get past the taboo, at least we know there's good nutrition on the other side.

science.kqed.org...

Its also perfectly legal, in the US anyways, is sweeter than beef, and carries fewer diseases. Why wouldn't you eat it?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I know that our politics are screwed up but I swear that we had nothing to do with your horsey issues!

I just couldn't imagine eating roos. Do people hunt them or are they raised for consumption like cattle?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkipIntro
I know that our politics are screwed up but I swear that we had nothing to do with your horsey issues!

I just couldn't imagine eating roos. Do people hunt them or are they raised for consumption like cattle?

They're farmed.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A bit late as we had that lasagne made from that company just last week. Makes you wonder what else we are eating and don't know about it!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

So tell us, did you enjoy it?

Or did you throw it done and wonder what that God-awful taste was?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I heard about this earlier, and just looked at oh, and said "do you think they're produced in France?"...

www.bbc.co.uk...

People have been warned not to eat the products, which were made for Findus by French food supplier Comigel

When something says "beef" on the pack, I expect bovine meat... not horse. Then again, I don't eat ready meal lasagne, I make it from beef mince... or what I hope is beef mince anyway. Hahahaha!

I do actually find it funny... but I wonder what people that keep horses think. I would be horrified if I knew there was cat meat, for example, in something!
edit on 7-2-2013 by aspiechick because: I can spell, but my fingers clearly have a life of their own.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by aspiechick

Yeah, if I am eating lasagne it'll be home made from scratch! I've neer been one for packet, pre prepared meals!

Well, the do eat cats in some parts of Asia don't they? I couldn't imagine eating my kitty! He's too much like a person!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

Well, as I said in another reply- people eat cats! So, meat is meat... I guess.

It's just the idea of not knowing what you're actually injesting! I stay clear away from fast food meals and in my OP I mentioned burgers etc- but these are ones made from scratch at home using beef (or I hope it's beef!) mince purchassed from the butcher.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint

They're farmed.

They are not farmed. They are hunted and all roos killed need a Government issued tag to go with them.

The population is controlled to avoid the very distressing situations that occurred historically during droughts.

P

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Kangaroo meat is produced from wild animals mainly.[2][3] Both the meat and the hides are sold. Although most species of macropod are protected from hunting by law, a small number of the large-sized species which exist in high numbers can be hunted by commercial hunters.
reply to post by pheonix358

I thought they were farmed as well!

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable source.. but we're discussing Kangaroo meat. I don't think there is a conspiracy there ahah

Wikipedia

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I really don't see the difference between eating horse or beef. They are both commercially farmed animals.

I've eaten horse tartare and cooked horse steak, both were delicious, lean, juicy and sweet.

The really great thing about horse meat, and a good reason why it I feel it should not be overlooked is that unlike a lot of farmed animals its meat actually get BETTER with age.

So if your 20yr old horse dies of natural causes, EAT IT! lol

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Saw the government said anybody in possession of this product should dispose of it immediately!
What a waste. Nothing wrong with it! It's just labeled wrongly!

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
ive eaten horse sashimi.

so YUMMY!

i dont see an issue. all meat is edible. if its prepared correctly, who cares what animals head used to be attached to the steak?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Horse Meat is safe to eat, it's just the drugs used on horses in the meat aren't good for you.

Saudi Arabia was getting questionable meat like this and feeding it to our GI's in 1994. Atleast we HOPE it was horse meat....could have been something far worse. They wouldn't tell America where it was from or what it even was.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
ive eaten horse sashimi.

so YUMMY!

i dont see an issue. all meat is edible. if its prepared correctly, who cares what animals head used to be attached to the steak?

They have found drugs used in the horses before they are killed that is not for human consumption in the beef and meant that is causing the outcry here...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I'm sure aboriginals would still hunt them.. From a couple of natives I met from the NT, the tail is good eating.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
On the radio coming into work early this morning, they were still talking about this and using the word "contaminated". WHAT? FFS... 60-100% horse meat in a "Beef" product is described as "contamination"? What are they smoking?

I think though that the shadow environment minister (I think that was her position) was spot on when she asked why no serious police investigation has been launched into this matter.
Yeah, I know, it's still meat and nobody probably got sick from eating it, but it is still fraudulent. The big food suppliers and supermarkets have covered this up either through deliberate negligence or slack quality checks on their suppliers. If I want to eat horse, then I'll damn well eat horse, but I don't expect to order beef and get horse instead.
I suspect the horse meat was from areas where culling of feral horses, or quite possibly theft of horses and subsequent slaughter, has been carried out as a criminal enterprise and some people have been making a tidy sum from selling on the meat.

Jeebus! If it's not the banks screwing us fraudulently, it's the government, or the corporations. Money drives everything now and as a consequence we are all getting shafted, in some cases potentially with harmful products mislabeled deliberately, but it's all fine and dandy as long as there is profit to be made.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Next up: Lasagne from the 'Solyent Green Lasagne Co.'

You'll never believe it's not horse! 9/10 consumers couldn't tell the difference.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Spookycolt

Because its advertised as beef. Why are some struggling to grasp this concept? Horse could be the tastiest healthiest meet ever, but when your being told your getting beef, you expect beef not horse. If dog and cat were tasty and healthy, would you not mind them being used instead f beef without your knowledge?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join