It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

7-year-old playing an imaginary game at school gets suspended for real

kdvr.com

He was playing a game during recess at Loveland’s Mary Blair Elementary School and threw an imaginary grenade into a box with pretend evil forces inside.

“I pretended the box, there’s something shaking in it, and I go ‘pshhh.’”

The boy didn’t throw anything real or make any threats against anyone. He explains he was pretending to be the hero. “So nothing can get out and destroy the world.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
So, how far will this PC madness go now? Are these inane rules going to force locked mittens on a kid of s/he uses a thumb and index finger as a "gun" now? UN-really-believable. This IMO is taking gun type controls waaaay too far. It's time we speak up as intelligent citizens and say, ENOUGH ALREADY. Fear should not rule the world, and neither should fearful minds.

This is the 21st century, or did I get warped back in time to the witch trails of the 17th century?

kdvr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Wait until they come up with the technology to actually read our thoughts.

They will have everyone imprisoned.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Please tell me you're making this sh--- up..

But his imaginary play broke the school’s real rules. The school lists “absolutes” designed to keep a safe environment. The list includes absolutely no fighting, real or imaginary; no weapons, real or imaginary

Now they want to control your imagination..

snf
edit on 5-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is irresponsible on the part of the school.

Developmentally, young boys ALWAYS play these violent games. Its what they are wired to do. You cannot stop it, beat it out of them, or redirect it. They will find a way to play "war."

Gee whiz, I see this every day teaching first grade. Do I report these children for playing this way? Hell no. I explain to the kids why they might get in trouble if they do it at school and suggest they come up with something different to play.

So now they play "tasers" instead of guns. My principal asked me about it once. I told him tasers were non-lethal, right?

This nonsense really needs to stop. Let kids be kids.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I wonder if these kids being brought up in these schools will grow up to be proponents of the overbearing nanny/police state or opponents of it.

Teach your kid that whenever some adult asks them what they're playing the answer should always be "ponies."

Just lobbing some oats to the ponies in that barn over there. Wooosh! the oats blow all over the place!
edit on 5-2-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So I take it at the same time they will soon take away toys because boys play with those just as us teenagers and adults do with our video games. I'm sure the kid so far has no idea of the status of the world right now and just saw himself being the hero as stated. I mean I could understand if perhaps this happened in High School or something but the kid is young and essentially seems like they are trying to break down this imagination of any sort of violence or game play.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I was just thinking maybe this will end all wars, hang with me while I explain.

Think about it, children are going to grow up being so afraid of guns, violence, hurting others, with all the rules being enforced, all the kids be reprimanded for even implying violence. You are going to have a population so adverse to weapons of all kind, kinds who think the metal on a gun will burn you because they are evil.

So in turn at a young age all kids become afraid of guns, violence, and dance around the issues. Will these kids not be willing to take up arms to rescue resources in the name of democracy? Will they be so against guns, will military enrollment slowly peter out due to peoples views of the weapons to be uptaken? Will we effectivly create a docile society or will perscription drugs keep us par for the course.

Just some outloud thinking to discuss with the masses

What do you think will it change the children of tomorrow, the laws and rules we pass today, for the better or for the worse????

SaneThinking

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
― Albert Einstein

We are lost. Without imagination we would still be living in caves.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SaneThinking

They arent going to afraid of these things. They're going to be angry at bureaucracy and authority figures.

Maybe a parent can use similar methods to put the "fear" into children but when some stranger or just some adult in a tie does it it fosters backlash.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111
Please tell me you are making this sh--- up..

snf

I don't think I COULD think up something this ridiculous....honestly. And, I'm very happy that I cannot.

link   
when the news is full of war and soldiers are also called heroes, is it any surprise boys play this way? no

is it harmful that the boy did this? blooming heck no!!

wtf is going on?

and playing army when you are a boy is tremendous fun too, i did it all the time, and i still grew up in to a disgusting pinko hippy, so it must be alright, yeah?

link   
Unfortunately, the adults reporting these things are acting more childlike than the children themselves.
An idea ! this can work both ways. Try belittling the teachers/adults who do this kind of stuff until THEY are conditioned not to. Make them fear being looked upon as a fool for reporting these natural behaviours.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
so these rules are posted on a website the kids have probably never been told these stupid 'absolute' rules, and dispended him anyway.

Friggin retards teaching our children nowadays

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Pretending to have explosives or guns is not acceptable at school or any other public space.

I once made a similar joke at school in 8th grade. I gave an example where an erection could be mistaken for a gun sticking in your back. I was talking to the person sitting next to me and said "ive got a gun" during my conversation in a sarcatic tone at normal volume and the teacher promptly fliped out and sent me to the principle.

I was suspended for 2 weeks.

There are only a few seconds where people can respond to things to prevent harm to others. Saying things that can be, even slightly, mistaken for very real dangers are not something to joke around about.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I wonder if these kids being brought up in these schools will grow up to be proponents of the overbearing nanny/police state or opponents of it.

Teach your kid that whenever some adult asks them what they're playing the answer should always be "ponies."

Just lobbing some oats to the ponies in that barn over there. Wooosh! the oats blow all over the place!
edit on 5-2-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Well, my first thought is about all of the "wild" children of ministers and preaching families...It seems to me, that whenever a child is indoctrinated in a strict fashion such as these, they come out either brainwashed or rebuffed to the point of anarchy! And, the brainwashed ones, may still wake up, one day...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
I was just thinking maybe this will end all wars, hang with me while I explain.

Think about it, children are going to grow up being so afraid of guns, violence, hurting others, with all the rules being enforced, all the kids be reprimanded for even implying violence. You are going to have a population so adverse to weapons of all kind, kinds who think the metal on a gun will burn you because they are evil.

So in turn at a young age all kids become afraid of guns, violence, and dance around the issues. Will these kids not be willing to take up arms to rescue resources in the name of democracy? Will they be so against guns, will military enrollment slowly peter out due to peoples views of the weapons to be uptaken? Will we effectivly create a docile society or will perscription drugs keep us par for the course.

Just some outloud thinking to discuss with the masses

What do you think will it change the children of tomorrow, the laws and rules we pass today, for the better or for the worse????

SaneThinking

I understand your thought process, but I respectfully disagree as it will not be a universal goal.

Because, meanwhile, in other parts of the world kids the same age are trained and indoctrinated to think of us a evil and should be killed. So, when these two generations grow up, which one do you think will have the advantage over the others life?

This is not a paranoid statement, but a realistic one. In the world of fairies and unicorns, where nobody has a violent thought, I would agree. But, unfortunately, I (and I'm sure many others here) do not live in that fantasy world.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is actually insane.

Well i guess teachers are a reflection of its own community. Complitely insane.

7 year olds needs to be tought morals and understanding. No to be sendt home and left confused by a play he thought had good morals. Talk about sending out the wrong signals.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Pretending to have explosives or guns is not acceptable at school or any other public space.

I once made a similar joke at school in 8th grade. I gave an example where an erection could be mistaken for a gun sticking in your back. I was talking to the person sitting next to me and said "ive got a gun" during my conversation in a sarcatic tone at normal volume and the teacher promptly fliped out and sent me to the principle.

I was suspended for 2 weeks.

There are only a few seconds where people can respond to things to prevent harm to others. Saying things that can be, even slightly, mistaken for very real dangers are not something to joke around about.
edit on 5-2-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

Are you f'ing kidding me?? This is a 7 year old PLAYING A GAME BY HIMSELF. If you think this is a situation where someone is going to mistake that for a real incident, then you need your head examined.

I refused to be controlled and told that I cannot have a normal life or that my children cannot develop normally because of someone else's paranoia and fear of being sued (which is what this comes down to...). Now, if the boy had a REAL GRENADE, then you might have a case.

As for your personal experience, I would also say that the school overreacted in the same way. You did not deserve to be suspended.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You can't really suspend a seven year old... They get the day off school??
That is great, most seven year old's looooove days out of school.
These parents I do not see actually punishing him for this..
It is encouraging the behavior because the kid gets a day off
school for doing it YAYA!! How is that for positive reinforcement?
edit on 5-2-2013 by gangdumstyle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join