It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My neighbor had a home invasion last night

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

This is the link to info about a home invasion that happened in my area....likely the one the OP is referencing. (At least I HOPE this is it - terrible to think of this happening frequently)

www.kgw.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Wow, a sales pitch. I am sure it's another burglar alarm company hyping their useless products. rest assured my opinion is based upon the fact I own a succesful Security company in Florida. Ambulance chasing should be a crime.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
At nine o'clock a person wouldn't expect that to happen. The people knew she was living alone somehow. I wouldn't take my gun out if someone was knocking on the door at that time but then again someone pulling that crap on me would still be dead. I know many ways to kill someone without needing a gun. I have the size and muscle to do it also. Maybe in twenty years I will be susceptible if I lose my muscle mass but that isn't the case now. Being too skinny is not good, if a person has no fat than the body will cannibalize muscle if one gets sick. That chronic wasting of people of all ages is making us weak. We need some of the essential saturated fats in our diet to stop this. They have spread a weird distorted diet out there making us all weak. The additives in food are poisoning our fat though and when this happens we cannot utilize this fat properly because of it's toxicity. Eat healthy fat, not that fat from the meat they are selling commercially.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I sometimes get mocked for not putting my carry gun away when I get home.

I politely remind them that 100% of all home invasions happen at home.

Never answer the door for anyone unless you are explicitly expecting that person to be at that door at that time.

Look out the window to confirm who it is. When you do answer/open the door keep your weight and foot behind it as though you are holding it against an invisible force so it cannot be pushed open more than you would like it to be. Heavy door chains can help.

If you're unsure at all call the cops.

A dog is great. Any dog. As long as it will wake you up or alert you to strange noises.

And try to break into your house once in a while. Dont smash windows or kick in doors or anything but go around and try to pop open screens, pry up windows, check for a ladder or logs or something you may have left around that could permit access to the roof or second floor. Look for tools you've left around. Listen for noises or other people to get a feel for how quiet someone would have to be. On a day off see how often the cops drive by and about what times they do if they do at all.

The best way to prepare to defend your home is to plan to attack it.

Something I see a lot is folks will set up security cameras with a DVR device then just put the DVR out in the open near the TV or in the office near the computer. A record of your thief/attacker does no good if the DVR gets stolen. Hide that # up in the attic or in the wall.
edit on 24-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I hope your neighbor gets better. That is a hard thing to overcome, and I bet the trauma will wtick around for sometime. Hopefully she has your number now so that if she has any reason to, she can call for help.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Always exercise caution in answering your door (especially at night and the later the more so). Everyone should have a peep hole or a small window on the door (not large enough for someone to kick in and step thru tho). Ask who it is and if you dont know them or it is a solicitation (and that should not be after normal hours) then tell them that you are not interested. Generally burglars do not want to be robbers (confront the victim)....they prefer to invade a residence with no one home and they will knock to test and then have some lame excuse if you open the door. The other type tho does want you home: they want you to open the door and let them right in and then force you to give them money and valuables that may be hidden. They want to terrorize you and the problem gets serious because they not only might just beat you up - they might decide to leave no witnesses.

I had someone come to our door a few years ago after we built a new house on the edge of town with acreage. I was the only one home (trading in a home office) and it was a few days before Christmas (tree with lights visible thru the window) and the doorbell rang (this was before we started closing and locking our driveway gate) and some skinny guy in his late 20s with greasy hair (I am 6'/200#) said "I am giving free appraisals for carpet cleaning." I told him we had new carpet and dont need carpet cleaning...(this is with the door 1/3 open) and was a little peeved that I had to answer the door for something that was not UPS or something important and before I could even close the door he said "you dont understand this is a free appraisal!" and then this little wiry guy started to push his way in. I stopped the door and said "you dont understand; we dont need or want your service - now go!" and I shut the door and he left. I later thought that he was so arrogant given a) we obviously didnt need carpet cleaning in a relatively new home and b) the size differential between us that he was probably scouting for a home invasion in the near future while there were still presents under the tree. My wife (women's intuition) said that he was probably so brazen because he had a gun on him at the time and was his plan was to pull it once inside the house. I am not sure but then neither are you when someone comes to the door.

I will relate another story: this happened to my wife when she was visiting her inlaws before we were married. They lived in a large english tudor house on acreage....one night about 3am there was a loud knock at the door and her dad (MBR on the main floor) went to go open the door. My future wife was upstairs and came to area overlooking the foyer down below and yelled at him to not open the door. My father in law asked thru the door what they needed and they said that they had a car accident just outside their gate (hit a tree)...and needed to use their phone. My wife said to tell him that we will call the police for them and they will come out to assist. At that they left and the next morning there was no evidence of a car hitting a tree.
edit on 24-1-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Excellent post and great ideas (think like a burglar trying to get into your home to beef up your home defenses).

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Are you trained to use that?
Or just hope that by wildly swinging it, it will somehow deter a would be assailant? I would never, ever wish someone harm because they didn't own a gun, using the, that'll teach you!! attitude, but any form of self defense should be one you're familiar and trained with. You'd be better off with a short bladed weapon that is more manageable in close quarters.
edit on 24-1-2013 by DAVID64 because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

After dark, I answer the door with a firearm, all the time. If the person outside the door doesn't like it, and it has happened before, I tell them "Then don't come to my door".

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

I'm trained enough. It's not a long sword, but a thick machete like sword that will get the job done if need be. Can't be that hard to go straight.

reply to post by Happy1

My dog won't hesitate to go after family even when they try to approach me, he goes after my sister if she tries to walk by me. He refuses to let her go by, just to go the bathroom.
I've seen him get aggressive towards a stranger when she tried to take a step closer to pet him.

He's got a killer growl, with a mean face to go with it. Like the stance, don't mess with me.
Pretty much how this dog look is and his stanch. He still acts like that even after the pit bull fight he got into. (Which he coward away from, because he knew he was no match).

If he thinks he can intimidate you, he will.

She should get dog that looks like this, and maybe those cowards will think twice about trying to enter.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Guess I've lived in to many bad areas, I always thought it was normal to be armed when opening the front door.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
why don't you get a vicious guard dog too. like the poster above suggested. you probably won't even get to use your gun if you do.

or at the very least, you'll be his back up while he mauls any intruders.

i'm reading posts about training to get into fire fights, a guard dog would have them running before you even reached your firearm.

when your life could potentially depend on it, everything helps, including war, attack or guard dogs.

edit on 24-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Methinks it's time to move out of that neighborhood!!!
No I am being very serious...get out of any area that is infected with these parasitic criminals, for your safety's sake!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

I will confirm that the OP is a stand up and well respected member of our exclusive forum. A long standing member would not waste our time with non sense and lies. You owe an apology.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Does anyone honestly think that if this lady in her late 60s would have answered the door armed that two young men still couldn't have attacked her?

Is she going to answer the door with the gun drawn and pointed at the person? If you do that...then wow...you are nuts.

What are the chances, if she was crazy enough to answer the door with her gun drawn and aimed at them, that she would keep it that way when the guy nicely asks her if she has seen his lost dog? She lowers her gun, and she gets rushed.

This thread just further proves the Rambo mentality of gun owners.

The only way to have prevented this attack was for the women to not open the door, and instead speak through the door if she saw that she didn't know this person. No gun would have helped a 60 year old lady in this situation...all she would have done is armed her attackers.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Xtrozero, this is a very alarming thread and what happened to your neighbor, your neighborhood and your family is truly a frightening ordeal any way you look at it.

Time to get together a neighborhood meeting.

My Brother in az told me that in Sedona there has been a huge rash of home invasions, I said "SEDONA???"!!!

I feel as if this is going to be happening more and more, we here on the forum have discussed an all out shtf scenario many times and it is always assumed that it will happen in a big bang sort of way, but just as the ptb are slow simmering our demise so too have the criminals begun to use that same evil mo.

Will it hit national news? No, it will continue to be a localized happening for now with little more than a report to the locals in msm style.

Give your little neighbor a big hug for me and take her something special like a homemade pie or something. Let her know that you will find a way to keep this from happening again and let her to remember she is a strong survivor and must have done something right or it could have been so much worse.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

That dog looks like one of the two chows that came up to me growling when I got out of the car to make a sales call out in a rural area for a friend (filled in) many years ago....no one came out to investigate so I assumed no one was home. I had no choice but to be still and talk gentle to the dogs and extend my hands (palms out - fingers folded in for obvious reasons)....the dogs sniffed and figured out that I was no threat so I slowly backed up to the car and made my retreat. I can see how some people would have panicked with dogs like that tho.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~

yah but they didnt kill her? so why shoot them geez are you crazy? so what if she will be terrified for the rest of her life to open a door. so what if she has gotten some wounds. so what if she feared for her life for an hour or more, so what if she might have been raped at 60 in her own home.

SO WHAT, thats no reason to shoot someone.

thats what the morons against gun control think,

I certainly am confused by your post, it would only make sense if the last line reads,

thats what the morons FOR gun control think,

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Too true the above post..........
Those who wish to be armed are not nessessarily any safer with a gun.....
practical consideration and training are prerequisites....
Opening the door was the last thing this lady should have done.....doing it armed probably would have been the last thing she ever did.....
Those who are competant to be armed, have a duty to train themselves for that responsibility......
Those who are unable to be competant with a firearm, have the duty to train for THAT responsibility, as well as plan for eventualities however remote.......Just because you want to be unarmed doesnt absolve you of the responsibility for your own well being or your life.....
edit on 24-1-2013 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

My heart and prayers go out to your neighbor; and I hope this never happens to her again.

I am curious...what are you doing to help her?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join