It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China colonel raises nuclear spectre

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think China Knows US will Start a war.
they rest of the world should keep out.
or best yet, attack US...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
I think China Knows US will Start a war.
they rest of the world should keep out.
or best yet, attack US...

The US will not start a war, i think that's the last thing they want.
If anything happens, it would be China making the first move.
And if that was to be the case, then i'm firmly standing with Australia and America.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Think New Zealand should step in and sort them all out. Lord of the rings style.

Tired of countries wanting to blow the # out of each other. Humanity will look back and be embarrassed by how many conflicts went on at any one time.

If Australia was attacked I think NZ would jump in to help in what way it could, the two countries have drifted apart the last few decades but we still remember, im a pacifist but id have to agree on helping Australia in that situation.

Given how much of NZ is being slowly 'taken' by Chinese interests... perhaps they are already surrounding them, slowly. I class these military guys the same as the ones in the middle east, they like to parade use self aggrandizing metaphoric diatribes and make themselves look big and relevant, its purely for domestic consumption and to keep their own job going.

The more Chinas younger population start to question their old leaders the more of this type of talk you'll hear from the old brass. They've over stretched themselves but true to Asian mentality cant admit to it so will keep on the same path until they basically collapse.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by marsend

I think you need to do a little research. China needs Australia far more than Australia needs China. Who do you think is one of China's largest suppliers of raw materials? You know the stuff they use to make the tat with they sell us.

www.heraldsun.com.au...

AUSTRALIA'S miracle economy will create an estimated 250,000 jobs next year and growth is tipped to reach 4 per cent by 2011 as China continues its demand for our raw minerals.
..Despite the continuing economic gloom around the world, Treasurer Wayne Swan was able to announce the federal Budget would be back in black by 2012/13 - three years earlier than anticipated

edit on 22-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

Just a little more research on your part.You would also see that prior to WW2 Norway was Germanys largest supplier and France was their largest importer.What do you think Germany did when they realized they needed Norways Steel.Oh yea they took it.

Sitting on the fence may work.But don't get caught with your pants down either! With present Active forces of 59,023 personal.Do you think China worries about Austrailan military power,No.

Sit on the fence,I do hope it works.But also they might want to rap their hands around a bigger stick.
edit on 22-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

By the way the "big stick" was the U.S Navy
edit on 22-1-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned both the US and Chinese govt/armies have slaughtered innocents to this day, neither one of them will get my support.

On the other hand as soon as you big boys are ready to hang your gloves and make peace by all means involve me.

I don't care who you are or where you come from PEACE is all I care about.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Beg pardon? I hope China realizes if wishes were horses, fools would ride. The Australia I know of is not going to take warnings about who or what to 'side with', from anyone.

You've been taking them from America for long enough

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ovadose
As far as I'm concerned both the US and Chinese govt/armies have slaughtered innocents to this day, neither one of them will get my support.

On the other hand as soon as you big boys are ready to hang your gloves and make peace by all means involve me.

I agree peace is everything - but if Australia was invaded by China - that would be ok ? I mean would you rather appeasment or fighting back ? Neither options = peace ?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by andypb

The US will not start a war, i think that's the last thing they want. 
If anything happens, it would be China making the first move. 
And if that was to be the case, then i'm firmly standing with Australia and America.

Why would china make the first move? Why would they risk years
of hard work to get where they are now ( without war) why would
they do that. It would be suicide on their part.

China is not a war machine. Yes, they are building up their militery,
but that does not mean they want a war.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

I didn't say the would...
I said if anyone would, it would be china, which is still very unlikely.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by kingmonkey

Wow. You're suggesting that the UK will bring nuclear weapons to the table with china?

That Is precisely what I am saying, as the only deterrant to the use of nuclear weapons is to have them used back on you in retaliation.

When waging war against a pretty sizeable and capable nation at the other side of the world from you, I'd dare say not having an aircraft carrier is quite an important thing to consider.

I never said the UK would be the focus of the battle, I said we would support Australia, meaning we would offer every resource deemed realistic. As it would be the defence of a land mass, I doubt that the Aircraft Carrier would be of much significance anyway as their Air Superiority would come from land based airfields.

Battle hardened, yes possibly, but against who........guerrilla fighters with antiquated weapons? Any other conflict anywhere in the world for the UK would require the immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan also.

Battle hardened troops are formidible against conscript armies with no battle experience, this is a well known fact in the Military. As for your view on other operations abroad for the UK, yes you are right, we would have to withdraw, but I value Australian independance above any war we are currently fighting.

By your own rationale, talk of nuclear weapons is a mute point as both nations have them so would not use them on each other?

Having over 1500 combat aircraft, China would make easy work of any naval fleet the UK could muster.

We are also not talking about fighting for Australian independence, we were talking about Australia involving herself in a conflict between China and Japan.

Regardless of all this, it's not going to happen. Everyone in the region has too much to lose. The UK especially wouldn't have the stomach for it for more reasons than military inferiority. Last time I checked, the UK had a trade deficit with China......i.e. everything in the UK is made in China (not quite but you get my point!)

Anyway, I thought we were fighting for world peace over in Afghanistan, what could be more important than that?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
HEY! I got my butt chewed BY AUSSIES for our deploying marines there,they said we were invading when we said we were establishing a base there.
Now we're OK because a little bitty Col shoots his mouth off about war?
Come on progs,I want NO MORE WAR more than those who have never seen it.But I know how these clowns operate.A probe here a probe there.
In ANY conventional fight we own that. Nobody in their right mind will pop a nuke.I imagine if they do we will whip out some whiz bang stuff to stop it.
When we shifted to the Pacific, Australia became prime strategic real estate,your economy will now receive a shot in the arm from the money our military will spend there.
I personally ALWAYS thought If you hurt the UK (any part of the common wealth) we(The US military) eat your head.
After all we have to save the Yowies don't we?

Remember folks when ever the US has economic issues we go to war. Those idiots are still in place so watch out.
edit on 22-1-2013 by cavtrooper7 because: finished my point

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingmonkey

Having over 1500 combat aircraft, China would make easy work of any naval fleet the UK could muster.

I really don't need to add any further comments, the pic speaks for itself.....1500 you say?

Like shooting fish in a barrel, except airborne fish.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Daas Kapital,

What is the mood of the Australian people concerning this?

I just think most Aussies prefer to side with the USA, but when faced in a predicament like this, a lot of people would rather us stay neutral...

This sort of talk from China's appointed public warmongers is relatively new but is not all that surprising. The Chinese know that it will be reported in the foreign newsmedia and that's exactly what they want since veiled threats made by generals on the TV are quite helpful to the diplomats who are negotiating with Japan over ownership of the Whatstheirname Islands.

If and when China decides to Pearl Harbour Australia, it will require certain economic conditions and timing. Australia (and the US/Europe/Japan) are far more useful to China as economic partners and consumers of Chinese manufactured goods than we are as adversaries.

Any credible physical threat to Australia or her territories by China would incur the wrath of our Allies and probably NATO. Of course, if they made landfall they would encounter a technologically superior opponent who has, since the 1950s, prepared for conflict on our own soil against an overwhelmingly numerically superior enemy (China and Indonesia). We'd take an absolute beating and it's hard to say whether we'd be able to repulse a full-on invasion of our resource areas in the north and our industrial centres in the southeast and southwest. We'd make them pay dearly for any gains - of that you can be certain.
edit on 22-1-2013 by nottelling because: Salted the post with spelling and grammatical errors so as not to appear infallible.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Has anyone thought of letting Japan re-militarize itself?

It may sound crazy, but many things have changed in 70 years, I don't think the people of Japan today are the same kind of people that were on board for controlling all of the Pacific back in WWII.

Japan is now an ally of the West, and having them able to be a check to China saying they own all the fishing/drilling rights in that area of the world wouldn't be a bad thing.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

Who the heck are "poms"? I don't get Australian slang at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmask
reply to post by LeLeu

It is a rude term for the English .. though they will tell you it is not rude.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ovadose

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

Originally posted by Darkmask
reply to post by LeLeu

It is a rude term for the English .. though they will tell you it is not rude.

Yeah, it's an obscene term related to the size of an Englishman's pee-pee when compared to the size of an Aussie's. We use it with great malice - here in Australia calling someone a Pom is the worst insult ever.

Get over yourself, Pom.

For everyone else who's not a handwringing forum troll, here's some info on the possible origins of the term - www.guardian.co.uk...

You'll notice that sources from the first two or three decades of the 20th Century state that it derives from "pomegranate" - Brits arriving in the Australian colonies found that the sun didn't agree with them - turned them red like pomegranates. Another possible explanation is that "pomegranate" was rhyming slang for the word "immigrant".

Either way there's nothing offensive or malicious about the word.

trove.nla.gov.au...

The Letters to the Editor above is from a 1960 edition of the Australian Womens' Weekly . Poms were apparently getting their panties in a knot over the term "Pom" even then.

As for the Chinese Colonel quoted in the original post, do you think that he cares one way or another whether Poms are called "poms" or not?

Mods, this thread has been derailed and needs some pruning.
edit on 22-1-2013 by nottelling because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-1-2013 by nottelling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

I have thought the same thing recently. Let Japan build more than just a defensive force. Maybe put some limits on size or weapons of mass destruction or something like that. That may save American dollars and lives in the long run.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
meh china most likely ridding it out till the US finishes collapsing then what doesn't japan have... nothing, china is mighty mad at them still. and worst case is they will take japan then us that powre gain to take us isle, and Hawaii,
then west coast, and probally get em all if obama has his way, either way once china moves in they ain't moving out, regardless of if we get our # together,
Read the book "one second after" by William R. Forstchen

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join