It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmakers Propose Mileage Tax On Fuel Efficient Vehicles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Drivers of certain fuel-efficient vehicles who skirt paying a gas tax at the pump may have to pitch in to fund the state’s roads.

The state Legislature is expected to consider a bill that would require drivers with a vehicle getting at least 55 miles per gallon of gasoline or equivalent to pay a tax per mile after 2015. Drivers would also have the option of paying a flat amount annually.

Source

So the moral of the story is: if you care about the environment, you get punished.
edit on Sat Jan 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative researpch on your subject.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WhereIsTheBatman

Cant wait for that to come here to the UK.
People that can afford to spend £100s a year on road tax buy flash cars that are pretty much exempt from the tax here. People on low incomes, people who drive older cars, pay for these rich people to swan about in their flash cars at our expense.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ah, ha, ha it goes to show just how much the government actually cares about the environment, not at all.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhereIsTheBatman

Drivers of certain fuel-efficient vehicles who skirt paying a gas tax at the pump may have to pitch in to fund the state’s roads.

The state Legislature is expected to consider a bill that would require drivers with a vehicle getting at least 55 miles per gallon of gasoline or equivalent to pay a tax per mile after 2015. Drivers would also have the option of paying a flat amount annually.

Source

So the moral of the story is: if you care about the environment, you get punished.

No the moral of the story is if you build it they will tax it. Not sure how this is a surprise to anyone. Remember the government is loosing money on the tax that isn't even collected yet.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Here is a great idea, instead of penalizing these drivers reward them for reducing our need for oil. How about instead of taxing these drivers in addition to ALREADY TAXING THEIR INCOME we build five less Global Hawk drones this year.

I am sick of this Country paying for wars we did not authorize. Double and triple taxation of income. Mostly I am sick of POS Americans that bitch about the state of affairs of this Country and them come tax day they fill out the paperwork for the Government, sign it under penalty of perjury and wait for their refund like they are getting free money.

They tax everything. How much do we really pay? It is over 50% to be certain. One year I spent 61% of all that I made on taxes and other mandatory fees.
Taxes on income, liquor, tobacco, gasoline, utility bills, car registration, luxury items. Oh and last year I paid my DMV fees online and it took two months to get the tags. I am one day late and the bill goes up 25%.

PS my work truck get 9mpg. Gas tax 32 cents a gallon, I pay for more road than I use. Oh and I pay commercial registration fees for a freaking pick-up.

Voluntarily filing taxes means voluntarily waiving your Fifth Amendment rights. Under the fifth you are not required to give the Government any piece of paper which may be used against you in a Court of Law. It has been proven time and time again that not filing is not illegal. Not paying your tax bill is not legal. So make the Government file for you! if just 10% of the population did that the system would change.

Damn it I am tired of wannabe rebels, if you complain about unfair taxation yet file? Shut up already! I am sick of hearing your hypocrisy. Make a stand you cowards.

My work truck get 9mpg. I pay commercial registration fees of nearly 400 a year for a ten year old pickup truck
add to that 32 cents a gallon for gasoline tax..... ARGH!

edit on 5-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

edit on 5-1-2013 by Mamatus because: gwammer and speeeeling

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I knew it. I loved how people were bashing me over arguing registration is unjust tax now they are taxing people for fuel efficient vehicles. Did you know that if you own an exotic car you pay 3k a year in "gas guzzler tax" now they have "fuel efficient tax" damned if you do damned if you don't when will we demand that this stop.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Source

c'mon...even electric vehicles use the road, and it costs money to maintain roads, the tires, with the weight of an electric vehicle on them, can wear down a road. would you like to drive your electric vehicle over a road that has potholes, gravel, and dirt as the surface?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Source

No the moral of the story is politicians are thieves and liars who will go to any length to continue to increase the revenues they extort from us...
edit on 5-1-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So where is the 2 wheel bike tax, and the Walking down the block tax, And then steeping out of your house Tax.

What it next in tax me if you can world that they live in.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

You forgot the skateboard tax. Those little decks scuff up the roads, chip curbs and do a ton of damage. Oh and you also forgot the hitch-hiker tax. While they don't have cars there is a ton of additional wear and tear on the shoulders of on ramps.

(sarcasm off)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

So when the goverment offers tax incentives to buy a fuel efficient vehicle (cash for clunkers and the like) then turn around and tax you for your environmental friendly purchase this is not hypocritical?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This story and many like them just show how useless and obsolete governments really are.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
before you know it they will be taxing the air we breath, saying that every time we exhale we are polluting the atmosphere with co2.

I agree we need to pay for road repair but people need to be encouraged to switch to better more fuel efficient transport at the same time. I would personally love to buy an all electric/hydrogen car if they could make them affordable and also extend the mileage to something decent in the 150 mile+ range per charge/fill

it's a carrot and stick situation, and at the minute the carrots too small and being held too far away for us to get a taste......

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Taxes aren't punishment.

Fuel efficient vehicles or those that use no fuel at all use the road just as much, if not more, than standard vehicles and yet...they're expected to pay less than everyone else?

Isn't this an argument that fiscal conservatives continually have? The 'moocher' class taking more than they're putting in?

With new federal regulations nearly doubling gas mileage requirements in the next decade what do you propose we do to maintain our roads and highways? Borrow more money?

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Cut pay checks, cut black project spending, cut new cars for DHS, cut tax breaks for big corps.

Welcome to America if you love the Earth it's gonna cost you.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
this is really dumb

takes away the incentive

thus the benefit

typical

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Our government is not only rogue, it is also broke. I'm not sure if this is news to you and don't want to seem condescending but they have already resorted to taxing the air you breath in the form of Obamacare. Uh, until there is a drastic change in current American politics, you will need to get used to not only this but things much worse in the very, very near future.

Say no and mean it soon because it is always easier to resist at the beginning than at the end....

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Resist is not in the modern Amerikans dictionary only "when is honey boo boo on and when will my food stamps card be here"

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

State taxes average nearly double the amount of federal fuel taxes. Cutting federal spending isn't going to do a whole helluva lot for the intrastate roads and highways.

Cutting every penny from the government would do more harm than good. Don't believe me? Go move to Somalia and tell me how good life is without government.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Source

edit on Sat Jan 5 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative researpch on your subject.

State roads should be paid for by the vehicles that do the most damage - commercial trucks. Weight of the vehicle more than miles traveled is what matters. A light car can travel a long ways without doing any damage to a road where a heavy truck does do a great deal more and a semi even more than that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join