It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy of Gun Control Advocates

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

i was referring to 8 different school shootings in that time frame not just 8 fatalities

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by exponent

Oh, you're from the UK, well then, you're already a statistic then.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

again you missed my point these stabbings happen despite strict regulation on knives in your country thus implying that making something illegal does not just magically cause it to stop happening,and the united states will always have higher numbers and percentages of violence as there are a good deal more people in the united states the there are in the united kingdom

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas
reply to post by ANOK

i was referring to 8 different school shootings in that time frame not just 8 fatalities

Huh?

That link was 9 different school shooting since 1976 in California. If we were to go back to 1913...

Maybe you didn't read the whole post, hmmm?

edit on 12/14/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

again you missed my point these stabbings happen despite strict regulation on knives in your country thus implying that making something illegal does not just magically cause it to stop happening

Nobody is saying it does. What we're saying is that careful and intelligent regulation leads to less availability. Less people get stabbed in clubs because people are screened for knives, and being found with a knife is a serious offence. This helps reduce violence.

and the united states will always have higher numbers and percentages of violence as there are a good deal more people in the united states the there are in the united kingdom

This is why the statistics I gave are per capita. That is they are normalised for the difference in population. Despite this the UK is a very small country, we have 1/5th your population but only 1/10th your land and so dense, poor urban areas exist to breed crime just as they do in the USA. You should visit these estates and compare them to US projects. You'd be shocked.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Why don't you just come out and say that you don't have a good answer to my points? Certainly better than making a fool out of yourself by ignoring people who disagree with you.

What significant freedom have I lost with Gun Control in the UK? Do you really think that an organised militia can take on a modern army? Do you think that guns are essential for home defence?

At least try and make a point rather than just insulting me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

no i was referring to what you originally quoted me on the 8 different school shootings in Germany not trying to compare body count......did not even open your link as i know what kind of a violent hell hole ca can be as i escaped from there 3 years ago to a state with less draconian weapons laws

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I'm just ignoring you. I've been debating with the anti-gun club all day. Now I'm just having fun with you.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

again you missed my point these stabbings happen despite strict regulation on knives in your country thus implying that making something illegal does not just magically cause it to stop happening,and the united states will always have higher numbers and percentages of violence as there are a good deal more people in the united states the there are in the united kingdom

The thing is you can use numerous things to stab people with. Sharp objects are extremely easy to make. Not all stabbings are from illegal knives. You have to get up real close to stab someone.

Guns not so much, they make it much easier to kill someone.

If Brits were allowed to have guns it would be worse than the US. It would not be better for anyone. We used to beat each other almost to death back in the 80's, in fact some people were beaten to death, just because we rode different two wheeled transport and wore different clothes. Now kids stab each other over what I don't know anymore. If people had had guns I'd have been patching bullet holes in my leg-shields, instead of dents from brick ends lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
well im glad my country has the second amendment and don't see it going anywhere any time soon despite all the shootings but it does bring me some joy to know that rights i have offend others in places that don't have those rights

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

brits are allowed to own guns perhaps not to the level of the united states but in a few cases they have even more options then us in the united states as you guys can get shotgun silencers alot easier then we can in the states www.youtube.com... also i think you can own most of the same hang guns we can at least revolvers they just need to have a certain barrel length something like 10-12 inches or whatnot

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

well im glad my country has the second amendment and don't see it going anywhere any time soon despite all the shootings but it does bring me some joy to know that rights i have offend others in places that don't have those rights

I don't see anyone who's offended. I'm just sad that you have a much higher likelyhood of being shot to death than I do, all over an outdated right that is no longer relevant in today's society.

I don't have anything against guns and like I said would be more than happy to own one if it was legal. I'm just also aware that while I might feel particularly sane and rational, so does even the craziest murderer, and I don't expect people to trust me with firearms any more than I trust them.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You bet. There will be no ban on firearms. Guns in this country aren't going away. Besides, there is no mechanism in the United States to commence an undertaking to remove guns from the private citizen. The first step is for people to realize there will be no ban on guns, the next step is to keep and prevent firearms from getting into the wrong hands. Over 40% of states do not require background checks on firearm applications; it's the first best place to start. Background checks need to include medical and health screenings, including a full disclosure of mental health records, if applicable.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

no i was referring to what you originally quoted me on the 8 different school shootings in Germany not trying to compare body count......did not even open your link as i know what kind of a violent hell hole ca can be as i escaped from there 3 years ago to a state with less draconian weapons laws

What are you talking about?

I was not comparing body counts but actual events. Nine mass school shootings in Cali since 1976, compared to eight in wherever it was since 1913. The link lists the shootings and oldest one it lists is 1976. I could probably go back farther but what's the point?

I don't think you read my whole first reply and got confused by my tongue-in-cheek opening.

BTW three states in the south beat Cali on gun crime. I only used Cali 'cause I live there. Soooo the point is, no matter how you try to present the data America has the world beat hands down for mass school shootings.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

brits are allowed to own guns perhaps not to the level of the united states but in a few cases they have even more options then us in the united states as you guys can get shotgun silencers alot easier then we can in the states www.youtube.com... also i think you can own most of the same hang guns we can at least revolvers they just need to have a certain barrel length something like 10-12 inches or whatnot

But guns are not mass produced, are very expensive, and certification to own one very stringent. Most hand guns cannot be owned without "a stringent Home Office licence"...

Post 1997 rule changes

From 1997, firearm and shotgun certification became more stringent. Among the extra hurdles added, people who now apply for Firearms Certificates have to provide two referees, and the police are able to revoke a Firearms Certificate in cases where the holder no longer has a good reason to possess firearms or ammunition.

Certain types of firearm are hard to obtain in Britain without a stringent Home Office licence. These include automatic weapons and most handguns.

Rules on gunbuying and licencing in the UK

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Sir, you just stated what i tried to state in a different thread...But you made complete sense. S&F for you my friend.....S&F

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
Only Americans feel the need to own lots of guns. It's because your society is broken. Whether it's society or guns, YOU have a big problem. These mass shootings happen in other countries once decade (if that). In American it's every 3-4 months.

But sure, keep advocating for gun freedoms, keep living in a violent, broken society where you are free.....to die at the hands of a gunman.

This poster makes an interesting point. It makes me wonder if the need to be armed and hoard guns is a symptom of the larger problem.

Something should definitely change in our society from the ground up, but what? We always have perfect advice for our friends but one has trouble seeing ones self objectively. What would you suggest for a starting place for change? I'm sorry if you get flamed for answering, it surely won't be by me.
edit on 15-12-2012 by PrincessTofu because: (no reason given)

I actually sort of have a theory about the gun security blanket situation. I'll phrase it as carefully as possible because while it's a social history issue, it's also a very sensitive subject.

The major gun-huggers seem to be mostly good old southern boys that are a few generations down from the slave owners in our history. I think the fear the slave revolution and freedom caused their ancestors is still strong, like the anger of being held captive that is slowly dissipating from our african american community. It's ingrained into you by your parents, their parents, their parents.. and we have to let it go.

Who are these good old boys afraid will come into their home and rob them? Take a guess.

We have to let it all go. Don't hold onto your parents' prejudices. It bruises the soul.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
This is about those who are mentally deranged.

Those who "advocate" Gun Control, always fail to add the other "devices" that lead to the killing of people, everyday.

More then 42000 people die from second hand smoke, including 900 children a year.

Just saying.

Yes, this is the point.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by PrincessTofu

The major gun-huggers seem to be mostly good old southern boys that are a few generations down from the slave owners in our history. I think the fear the slave revolution and freedom caused their ancestors is still strong, like the anger of being held captive that is slowly dissipating from our african american community. It's ingrained into you by your parents, their parents, their parents.. and we have to let it go.

I would have to disagree with your stereotyping.

I am not a gun owner and I am not racist.

I'm a liberal democrat from California.

I'm a freedom hugger.
edit on 15-12-2012 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by PrincessTofu

I am not a gun owner and I am not racist.

I'm a liberal democrat from California.

I'm a freedom hugger.

How dare you grope freedom like that. I saw you

While you're making out with freedom, what would you advise to help the freedom of not being shot? How can the crazies be curbed?

It really isn't about pro or anti gun when it comes down to it, is it? It's about a broken society, mental disorders and people being harmed en masse.

Personally, I don't think gun control is the issue. I think it's a smoke-screen to divert from a larger social issue that REALLY needs to be addressed. Although, I agree too many idiots have guns. But also, too many idiots have kids, sports cars, power of attorney, tee-times, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join