It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy of Gun Control Advocates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+155 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
First, I want to offer deepest sympathy, prayers and condolences to the victims, the families and their friends of those who were killed in today's tragedy and the other tragedies previous to this one. I am not a gun owner and I do not actively promote the right to bare arms.

That being said, I do feel I can be somewhat impartial when it comes to the issue of gun control. After the events of this morning and a long day of reviewing comments and also involving myself in this debate. I have come to a few personal conclusions about some of the gun control advocates who are so vocal about their beliefs.

They really seem like a bunch of hypocrites. Blinded by their emotions and looking for a scapegoat to vent their frustrations, which are based on fear, and the false perception that more gun control would solve the problem of angry or psychotic people from carrying out their acts of violence against innocent civilians.

Why are people so quick to blame guns? Why not society as a whole? Is it because they do not want to accept any personal responsibility for the problem? They will say, "We need to ban guns". Yet they will say, "support our troops". They will buy themselves and their children the latest "Call of Duty" or other FPS video game and the most violent and vulgar music CD's. They

Why isn't it a violent society to blame? Why isn't it a war mongering government to blame? Why isn't it the fault of violent video games? Or violent music? Why not the bullies in school? Abusive parents, relatives or neighbors? Why just guns? Why aren't all the other factors being considered as the cause of these tragedies?

These people are either crazy, violent, angry, emotionally disturbed or all of the above. Their problems didn't begin the moment they acquired a gun. In fact, I would guess that their problems began long before the day they snapped and went on their deadly rampages. Shouldn't we place the blame on all the factors that led up to these senseless tragedies and not just gun control?

Okay, moving on to my next point. Drunk driving is illegal. Yet it is responsible for the deaths of more people in the USA than gun violence does. How come those same anti-gun people aren't out there trying to get stricter alcohol control or trying to ban alcohol all together? Why are bartenders and liquor stores required to run a background check on people to see if they have prior convictions for DUI's and alcohol related crimes?

Drugs are illegal but that doesn't stop people from getting the drugs they want. Why would more gun control stop criminals and crazy people from getting guns? It wouldn't, in fact I think they would either find a gun on the black market or they would devise a different method to carry out their disturbing and evil acts of violence.

Personally, in my own life, I have been affected more by people's use and abuse of drugs and alcohol rather than guns. I would feel a lot safer if there were less drunk people out there roaming the streets and driving on the highways. But, I'm not out there trying to take away anyone's right to drink. I'm not out there trying to get stricter laws concerning the sale of alcohol.

I wonder what would happen to all those anti-gun advocates if the government decided to take away their right to drink alcohol. Would they be in an uproar demanding their right to buy, drink and sell alcohol? Probably. Would they be upset enough that they would take up arms to fight for those rights? I bet that some would.

It all comes down to the individuals personal responsibility. That is why even though I don't own a gun myself. I support the right of others to own a gun. I don't drink and people who abuse alcohol bother me deeply. But I support their right to drink whatever they want. I would like to see more freedom restored to the people of this country and not less.

Bartenders and liquor stores have no control over the actions of their customers once they leave their place of business. Neither do the gun stores. Some people like to drink alcohol and others like to own guns and hunt. Dick Cheney likes to do both.

I just don't think that more gun control is the solution to this problem. At the very least I would like all the contributing factors to the problem be acknowledged and not just blame it on guns. Why aren't we also blaming the failures of society? I'll tell you why. Because it's a lot easier to find a scapegoat, move on and shove the real problem under the rug.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Nothing more to say.

Star and flag for you.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Well said. Let me be the first to congratulate you and your common sense. I'm a veteran and a patriot and a believer in the 2nd amendment, however, I also fully support reasonable gun control legislation. Over 40% of states do not check backgrounds before issuing a pistol permit. That seems stupid to me and a good place to start. I am not a criminal nor do I have any deep psychological issues, therefore I had no problem answering a 7 page questionaire regarding my criminal or medical background.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Arent the people that own guns for protection the ones living in fear?

Any country in Europe or UK has lower gun crime than America. Lower deaths from guns. Way lower. People in Europe and the UK are not so very afraid of criminals I guess.

Do American's really think they can overthrow a government that has the largest military in the world? Thats stupid.

Isnt the American Government already tyrannical?

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner
Arent the people that own guns for protection the ones living in fear?

Any country in Europe or UK has lower gun crime than America. Lower deaths from guns. Way lower. People in Europe and the UK are not so very afraid of criminals I guess.

Do American's really think they can overthrow a government that has the largest military in the world? Thats stupid.

Isnt the American Government already tyrannical?

I am a gun owner and I wouldn't say I'm living in fear. I don't really spend time worrying about what is going to happen. But it is good to be prepared.

I like knowing if I am out somewhere and some psychopath comes in shooting people, I at least have a chance to try and do something about it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Anti gun fearmongers are not blind by tears they are driven by opportunity, they don't cry because they are sorry the salivate about the chance to crap on the constitution and scrape away the right to bear arms.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I agree. I support background checks.

But that doesn't stop criminals or crazies from getting guns if they want them.

My rant is more directed at the people who want to ban guns all together.

And those that think that guns are to blame when some nut job goes on a killing spree.

This guy could have used a knife and bat and still caused as much mayhem.

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Only Americans feel the need to own lots of guns. It's because your society is broken. Whether it's society or guns, YOU have a big problem. These mass shootings happen in other countries once decade (if that). In American it's every 3-4 months.

But sure, keep advocating for gun freedoms, keep living in a violent, broken society where you are free.....to die at the hands of a gunman.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

This was posted on another thread Here

14,000 knife victims a year

Knife violence in Britain is far worse than official statistics suggest, with almost 14,000 people taken to hospital for injuries caused by knives and other sharp weapons last year.

Why aren't people banning knives in the UK?

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Logman

But sure, keep advocating for gun freedoms, keep living in a violent, broken society where you are free.....to die at the hands of a gunman.

I agree we live in a violent society. It's also an equally, loving and caring society too though.

I am more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than a by a crazy gunman.

But go ahead and place the blame where you see fit.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
Only Americans feel the need to own lots of guns. It's because your society is broken. Whether it's society or guns, YOU have a big problem. These mass shootings happen in other countries once decade (if that). In American it's every 3-4 months.

I'm seriously getting tired of people who haven't lived in America talking negatively about the country and it's citizens as if they have first hand knowledge on the subject. Unless you have spent quite a bit of time here, I don't think you have any right to talk like that, I don't think it's justified. I give a lot more credence to statements like these when they're made from someone who's lived here and has experiences to back up their viewpoint. I do think our government is seriously messed up at this point but I'm just getting tired of all this America bashing going on from people who have no inside experience with the country and what's going on inside it. Your comment probably wasn't the worst that I've seen but I'm really getting fed up with this. I imagine this is a similar viewpoint to what non-critical thinking Americans have of people from Afghanistan or Iraq.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by Cosmic911

I agree. I support background checks.

But that doesn't stop criminals or crazies from getting guns if they want them.

And those that think that guns are to blame when some nut job goes on a killing spree.

Yeah, I try not to discuss anything with them because it's like talking to the wall. We need to face it that guns are here to stay; the government has no mechanism in place to remove our guns in the numbers that they are. So we need to move forward with legislation that makes sense and affords real change.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67

Could you list some comparable killing sprees carried out with a knife or a bat? You seem to be pretty convinced this is possible.

I am in favour of heavy gun regulation. You can never stop criminals possessing firearms, but you can make them so hard to get that they are used rarely. Yes, society and other violent influences (video games actually serve to calm emotions by providing a cathartic outlet) can be responsible to some extent, but we must also look at the tools used to commit such a crime.

Lets say there's a spate of knife attacks in clubs. What's the proper response to this? Banning knives outright is pointless and essentially impossible, but we can increase penalties for public possession, take action against knives designed to be undetectable etc.

This is the job of a responsible society, to protect its members from the more unhinged out there, and part of that protection is reducing access to weaponry. The "right to bear arms" is several hundred years out of date in most of the western world and the idea that an organised militia would be any match for modern mechanized forces died in the first world war.

Strong gun regulation is essential to a civilised society. The USA kills 2-3x more people with guns per capita than the UK does overall. I'm not claiming it's caused by guns, but the easy access to a weapon designed soley for efficient killing at a distance is surely a mitigating factor.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by exponent

Right, we should enforce penalties on people who carry certain objects and make those objects harder to legally obtain rather than focusing on why these people may want to do harm to other people with certain objects and helping them to not feel this way.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org... to the people saying school shootings are only an american thing....

en.wikipedia.org... 11 from canada since 1902

8 from germany since 1913

sweeden has one

uk has this one en.wikipedia.org... which if i rember correctly guns were pretty hard to get at this time too

3 from Finland i could go on but all of these countries also had guncontrol that makes ours look like we just hand them out like candy and that was still not enough to do anything to stop them so i fail to see how more gun control laws would help things when countries with lots of gun control still have them any ways

en.wikipedia.org... to be fair the united states has its own wiki page on the matter but this stuff has been going on if wiki is to be believed since 1764(indian attack) so its not a new phenomenon(just the body count it seems) like every one seems to claim it is.

Nor is the talk of arming teachers and even students as the new york times posted in 1886 and it said the following(from above wiki source)

An April 30, 1866 editorial in the New York Times argued against students carrying pistols, citing "...pistols being dropped on the floor at balls or being exploded in very inconvenient ways. A boy of 12 has his pantaloons made with a pistol pocket; and this at a boarding-school filled with boys, who, we suppose, do or wish to do the same thing. We would advise parents to look into it, and learn whether shooting is to be a part of the scholastic course which may be practiced on their boys; or else we advise them to see that their own boys are properly armed with the most approved and deadly-pistol, and that there may be an equal chance at least of their shooting as of being shot."[3]
so even back then were talking about kids bringing guns to school,yet even happening in the time when the founding fathers if not still being around would at least be strongly rembered did any one try to take guns away from the general populace

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I personally don't believe the issue is about guns.

The real issue is about the technologies they are keeping secret. Getting guns banned is not what their real motivation is if the powers that be are creating these events - say with mind controlled operatives.

Getting guns banned is a means of preventing these other technologies from being allowed to see the light of day. The powers that be feel that if guns are too dangerous for people to have then surely these super technologies that are far more dangerous HAVE to be kept from us as well. This is the real issue. This is their real goal.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Could you list some comparable killing sprees carried out with a knife or a bat? You seem to be pretty convinced this is possible.

Not that I actually believe the official story.

But how about those terrorists with a few box cutters.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
nvm....not worth the banning.
edit on 14-12-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
This is about those who are mentally deranged.

Those who "advocate" Gun Control, always fail to add the other "devices" that lead to the killing of people, everyday.

More then 42000 people die from second hand smoke, including 900 children a year.

Just saying.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org... knife attacks

en.wikipedia.org...

www.foxnews.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.foxnews.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org... from the UK

www.foxnews.com... baseball bat spree killing

en.wikipedia.org... arsonist 147 killed btw

en.wikipedia.org... 8 dead 15 injured with a KITCHEN knife

its not the object its the person who uses it

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org... here is a whole section devoted to people who only used cars to kill up to 18 people.... ANYTHING can be a weapon and if crazy wants to hurt people it seems crazy will find a way hell this bastard used a FLAME thrower en.wikipedia.org... and im pretty sure those were illegal as all hell for people to own in germany

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join