It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Guantanamo Detainees Return to Fighting **UPDATED**

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I know a way to solve everything. Give them a trial. If they are innocent, let them go home. Guilty? Stay in jail. See? Easy!

Exceptionally obvious sarcasim but its just that simple.....

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 10:34 PM
link   
As new news comes in ...

New legal opinion by Bush admin concluded for first time some non-Iraqi prisoners captured by US forces in Iraq not entitled to protections of Geneva Conventions, NYT set to lead in Tuesday editions, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE... Developing...

www.drudgereport.com...

I would agree with this policy.....Lets hope.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So bush and his cronies get to decide who is covered by the geneva convention and who isnt... which basically means they can be tortured and abused as the USA see fit... Disgusting... regardless of whether they are fighting for their own country or not, people should be treated like people. Put yourself in their shoes for one second edsinger and realise that they are people who are obviously desperate and have nothing to lose.

I dont agree with terrorism, but the way to fight it isnt dropping bombs and shooting civilians... its aid programs and ensuring these countries arent left behind in the global economic booms...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
DRUDGE... Developing...

Just out of curiosity, how many stories from Drudge actually "Develop"? Ok, Monica, but is that how he reports things? Just throw stuff against a wall and see what sticks?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   

As new news comes in ...

New legal opinion by Bush admin concluded for first time some non-Iraqi prisoners captured by US forces in Iraq not entitled to protections of Geneva Conventions, NYT set to lead in Tuesday editions, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE... Developing...

www.drudgereport.com...

By geneva convention do they mean soon release or denial of red cross goodie packages

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It means that the geneva convention does not apply. Not that we treat em like # but no need for the martha stewart method either.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It means that the geneva convention does not apply. Not that we treat em like # but no need for the martha stewart method either.

So essentially violating their human rights guilty or not ......got it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
US under bush does pretty much what ever it feels like when it comes to other people's rights, international laws does not apply and only US citizens have the law in their favor, if you are from another country you are # out of luck.

What it bothers me is how this present president can get away with so much and the rest of the world just sit there and do nothing, I guess US is really a big bully and every body else is realy afraid of our country, funny.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Unbelievable. The first thing you people assume is that the evil U.S. is wrong and the enemy is the poor, hapless victim.

They have gone back to fighting because they were the enemy, they were released before rthe end of the war and they are now doing what the enemy does - they are fighting.

They are doing what free people do, protect their land and defend their freedom from us, the invasor! Surprised?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
we shouldnt waste money feeding them for that long. the solution is simple, tag them & let them go. tracking devices are small enough to be implanted and inexpensive enough to be a practical alternative. this way we can kill the ones who find their way to training camps, along with their buddies. just a thought...

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalmessiah
we shouldnt waste money feeding them for that long. the solution is simple, tag them & let them go. tracking devices are small enough to be implanted and inexpensive enough to be a practical alternative. this way we can kill the ones who find their way to training camps, along with their buddies. just a thought...

man I love it! Hehe Great Idea!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
edsinger:

See the way I see it is these are a 'new' type of legal question, not in an armed force yet fighting, no country , yet fighting and KILLING Americans.

Ok, first off, they were mostly defending their country. If, say, Russia invades the USA and you are not part of an organized militia and you defend your own home with your own weapon, if you are captured you can just be stripped of all legal rights and shipped off to a concentration camp for years at a time? Wha? None of these people have been found guilty. None of them. How long does it take to figure out someone is not a terrorist?

I think they got better treatment than a lot deserve. IF these SOB's can behead folks, then why should we bend over to give them Martha Stewart treatment? If they have food, water, and clothes.....thats all they need. Some maybe dont deserve it, but in these times, do we take the chance?

Ouch. These were not beheaders. Mostly (gasp) innocent people swept up in a wartime invasion. People who were turned in by neighbors for the reward. How do I know they are mostly innocents? Nobody's been found guilty. Sure, some have been beaten to death, and some have been released, but no guilty verdicts.

The US army is hurting itself in treating the POW's like this. Why in the world would an enemy who captures a US soldier feel in any way beholden to the Geneva Convention in their treatment of said soldier if they know that if they themselves were captured, their rights would totally disappear?
You reap what you sew, and unfortunately it's not the policymakers that end up suffering, it's the soldiers who are just trying to stay alive.

jako

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join