It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Guantanamo Detainees Return to Fighting **UPDATED**

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
As new news comes in ...

New legal opinion by Bush admin concluded for first time some non-Iraqi prisoners captured by US forces in Iraq not entitled to protections of Geneva Conventions, NYT set to lead in Tuesday editions, newsroom sources tell DRUDGE... Developing...

www.drudgereport.com...

I would agree with this policy.....Lets hope.

The question I have is should we be releasing these people? I mean if they havent been charged, then how can we hold them? If we let them go, then some go back and kill US soldiers. Man this is tough, what should we do and are they POW's or not?

This is like letting death row inmates go and then knowing that some will go out and commit murder again...

Ugg........this sucks.

7 ex-detainees return to fighting

Guantanamo release process called imperfect
WASHINGTON -- Despite gaining their freedom by signing pledges to renounce violence, at least seven former prisoners of the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have returned to terrorism, at times with deadly consequences.

At least two are thought to have died in fighting in Afghanistan, and a third was recaptured during a raid of a suspected training camp in Afghanistan, Lieutenant Commander Flex Plexico, a Pentagon spokesman, said last week. Others are at large.

Additional former detainees have expressed a desire to rejoin the fight, be it against UN peacekeepers in Afghanistan, Americans in Iraq, or Russian soldiers in Chechnya.

www.boston.com...

[edit on 25-10-2004 by edsinger]

[edit on 30-10-2004 by edsinger]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I am amazed by your post.
Put an innocent person in prison and see the result of your actions.
If Guantanamo innocent people become suicide bombers or worse, kill US soldiers or civilians, I guess that's the minimum you can expect.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomMaster
If Guantanamo innocent people become suicide bombers or worse, kill US soldiers or civilians, I guess that's the minimum you can expect.

And you believe this? ok your choice.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

Originally posted by WisdomMaster

And you believe this? ok your choice.

And you're actually surprised by this? Yeah sure, they should be thankful for finally being set free and having their nation liberated, huh? I mean, seriously...

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
You know ed singer, what will you do, if you have been taken from your land, and brought to a foreign country, with no communication and various years later they allow you" to return to your country because you are an Afghanistani national after all.

You go to your country to find that is destroyed your village reduce to rubble your family death and your friend has joined the resistance, what will you do?

I know what I Would do, I will darn well join my friends and die for my country

And perhaps I just submit myself to the new way of life and become a poppet of the government.

By the way it seems that they did returned to their country in afghanistan.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You know ed singer, what will you do, if you have been taken from your land, and brought to a foreign country, with no communication and various years later they allow you" to return to your country because you are an Afghanistani national after all.

And why were you captured? The problem is that they are not POW's so what are they?

Originally posted by marg6043You go to your country to find that is destroyed your village reduce to rubble your family death and your friend has joined the resistance, what will you do?

Well you see powerplants , roads, kids going to school and your friend joining the army to allow your land to become free. They are not all terrorists, most are not. 50 Iraqi's died today AFTER they had trained to fight FOR their country.

Originally posted by marg6043I know what I Would do, I will darn well join my friends and die for my country

Depends on which friends.........Always the Pessemist?

Originally posted by marg6043And perhaps I just submit myself to the new way of life and become a poppet of the government.

A puppet? Is that what you call it? Freedom is a puppet? You really need to look at the whole picture there, not just the headlines.

Originally posted by marg6043By the way it seems that they did returned to their country in afghanistan.

Well I guess they should go home and vote huh?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durden

And you're actually surprised by this? Yeah sure, they should be thankful for finally being set free and having their nation liberated, huh? I mean, seriously...

No actually I am not, if they were sent to Cuba then they had done something blatent.....if not they would have stayed in country.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

No actually I am not, if they were sent to Cuba then they had done something blatent.....

Why are you making these ignorant claims? I mean do you really claim to know this?

Actually, the Guantanamo detainees have yet to be proven guilty. And what do you call someone who hasn't been proven guilty....?

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Durden]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Durden

Why are you making these ignorant claims? I mean do you really claim to know this?

Actually, the Guantanamo detainees have yet to be proven guilty. And what do you call someone who hasn't been proven guilty....?

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Durden]

Well of the thousands they captured, only 100's were sent to Cuba. What do you think?

dh

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well, these were always shoemakers and shepherds
They should all be let go
The threat to people is always from the Bush-led agencies
Never from the small people
The threat is always from the top pretending to be bottom

[edit on 24-10-2004 by dh]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Unbelievable. The first thing you people assume is that the evil U.S. is wrong and the enemy is the poor, hapless victim.

They have gone back to fighting because they were the enemy, they were released before rthe end of the war and they are now doing what the enemy does - they are fighting.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
How do you like it now Amnesty International? The people you helped get lawyers to get out have gone back to killing. How do you like it now? Perhaps AI is snickering at the success of their plan.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Unbelievable. The first thing you people assume is that the evil U.S. is wrong and the enemy is the poor, hapless victim.

Yeah, Thomas. That's what this is about.

They have gone back to fighting because they were the enemy, they were released before rthe end of the war and they are now doing what the enemy does - they are fighting.

So are you claiming there is actual proof of their guilt? Well, by all means - share this new bit of information.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Durden]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Well of the thousands they captured, only 100's were sent to Cuba. What do you think?

This isn't about what I think, edsinger. This is about the lack of evidence to prove actual guilt of the detainees. Now, you tell me - if guilt isn't proven, what is there left?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   

The question I have is should we be releasing these people? I mean if they havent been charged, then how can we hold them? If we let them go, then some go back and kill US soldiers. Man this is tough, what should we do and are they POW's or not?

The idea of not releasing anyone bothers me because there are those who are not hostile after release a few out of the multitude have returned to fighting and yes there should have been a better containment so that if they were a threat they should not been released or if released monitored and maintained with in our immediate grasp so they could be detained immediately after showing the first sign of hostile intent .....the ones I have seen released should not have been because they were an open threat who never changed their views and where released by mistake

This is like letting death row inmates go and then knowing that some will go out and commit murder again...

The only problem here is even though murder suspects are on death row and are later found to be innocent we should not release them .....I think not that person proven innocient should be released and the same holds true for those non-combatants and outright unjustly held.....the system is not perfect their shall be problems but that is the nature of man ......but dont punish the reformed or innocent for the fears you have in making errors in judgement......perhaps thats why God said he is the only Judge of man......because we are not all knowing and all seeing.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
These guys have been held illegaly for a couple of years... many of them just fighting against an invasion force in their country... they were held under questionable conditions, and had no contact to the outside world.

They get back to their country and find that the people who had been holding them have come in and installed a puppet government, and basically desimated their country...

What would you do...

Many of these people werent guilty of anything other than defending their country from a foreign invader. Many of them had no knowledge of internatioal politics, and even less knowledge of why they were being attacked.

Then they are taken hostage and kept in conditions that many there have described as humiliating...

Maybe if the US didnt hold them illegally they wouldnt go back to fighting

I know for a fact if the Us invaded Australia and took me hostage then let me go, i would be #1 in the destroy the infidel club

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
These guys have been held illegaly for a couple of years... many of them just fighting against an invasion force in their country... they were held under questionable conditions, and had no contact to the outside world.

They get back to their country and find that the people who had been holding them have come in and installed a puppet government, and basically desimated their country...

see I agree with you but they account for only a percentage of the total prisoner population so I still think releasing those who within reason should be released should not stop despite of a few errors releasing the wrong people.......mistakes yes that are deadly ........but would we sleep better if an innocient died in this prison never having done anything ....from what I understand the latest prisoner to get world coverage was a teenager who while his views of us where not very good never harmed anyone and would probably just go home and bi*ch alot but do nothing out right against us ......I couldnt live with the fact an innocent died in prion exspecially kids.....they can be released with a reasonable amount of security we are all over that country we can monitor these people as proven by the coverage where in people released where seen fighting so if we can see that we cant watch them and when they look out of line take them back into custody till such point they are not a threat...

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
These guys have been held illegaly for a couple of years...Maybe if the US didnt hold them illegally they wouldnt go back to fighting

Maybe this is the question, what makes it illegal? Are they POW's or not? Can we shoot them if they try and escape? See the way I see it is these are a 'new' type of legal question, not in an armed force yet fighting, no country , yet fighting and KILLING Americans. I think they got better treatment than a lot deserve. IF these SOB's can behead folks, then why should we bend over to give them Martha Stewart treatment? If they have food, water, and clothes.....thats all they need. Some maybe dont deserve it, but in these times, do we take the chance?

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Maybe this is the question, what makes it illegal? Are they POW's or not? Can we shoot them if they try and escape? See the way I see it is these are a 'new' type of legal question, not in an armed force yet fighting, no country , yet fighting and KILLING Americans. I think they got better treatment than a lot deserve. IF these SOB's can behead folks, then why should we bend over to give them Martha Stewart treatment? If they have food, water, and clothes.....thats all they need. Some maybe dont deserve it, but in these times, do we take the chance?

I think legality is being stretched to its limit under international law they should have been charged or released by now.....If you believe them to be terrorists, insurgents or what ever then charge them....Atleast that way they can get an attorney and defend themselves.... These people are quote being held under suspicion not quote being held as criminals......Even the POW issue has questionable applications in this issue.

I would go with Illegal if not decided one way or another to charge or release by the end of November, 30 plus days is long enough for the Goverment to make up their minds

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I know a way to solve everything. Give them a trial. If they are innocent, let them go home. Guilty? Stay in jail. See? Easy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join