It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Shooting at Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:
JAK

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
One last time:

Please note

due to the tragically emotive nature of this story any and all pro/anti gun posts from here on will be removed immediately.

Please respect the request being made here and refrain from all such related posts and comments

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealdemoboy
1) About metal detectors. You're right. The metal detectors would have stopped these bastards. No wait, that's actually a pretty ignorant idea. Maybe the "no weapons on school grounds" sign should have been bigger. Maybe if the shooters knew that guns weren't allowed, they wouldn't have brought the guns in the first place. Please.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

But yes, the metal detectors would have at least added two levels of prevention:

1. The shooter would have known they were there, and maybe would have had second thoughts
2. If the shooter was detected, the school could have gone on lockdown

Either way, while not 100% foolproof, it would have been a deterrent either way.

I know that where my kids are right now, the front doors to the school are undefended.

ANYBODY can walk in.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I feel for all the victims of this tragedy, I also hope for a speedy recovery to all those injured and being helped at this time. Its pretty crazy to see these things repeat themselves over and over again. But at the same time if you take a look at the social issues we have in North America you can almost say that you should see it coming and not getting better

CDC report on Pharma usage USA

Other relevant stats

Page 5 of the first link goes on to show drugs by age and type

age 0 - 11 you can see that the only pharma for the most part or majority is for just keeping your kids healthy

(asthma, penicillin and such)

yet at the age of 12 - 19 puberty you see that the cocktail changes and that and that as a childs body changes as opposed to accepting them children 4.8 % are givin anti-depressants and 6.1% are on A.D.D drugs these are mainly givin to children who maybe tap a foot or fidget in class some extreme cases act out.

Now I bring this up because we see more and more people who in the early 20's seem to make the change, from daily life to shooting up schools

on to the next demographic

20 - 59 kinda broad but thats what the info I have to work with is

At this age out of the indoctrination we call the public school system and you see that the puberty problem of A.D.D is now replaced with just anti-depressants to the tune of 10.8% so basically I find it fair to assume that all the A.D.D kids well there now adults so now there just depressed instead of hyper and fidgety, so on to the next soup to keep you normal

What i'm getting at is this pharma re-writing of the mind starts young and only gets worse as we age, the concoction changes yet the effects seem to only progress. There are so many north americans that are on big pharmas daily bread. Our children from a young age are said to be badly wired according to doctors. So give em pills, the pills will make em better and when they don't well use these it will get rid of the new symptom the last one created while we try to fix the wires we just fried.

So many people around there 20's now are acting out and so many people in there teens are slowly ween'ed onto the soup then ween'ed on to the next soup as they grow and age, and in my mind this is where the problem lies we are in my mind creating these instabilitys in our society.

I'm no doctor this is obvious but perscription drug use is going up the rate doctors pawn a youth off to pharma are going up the percentages only rising. I feel we need to stop poisening the minds of the young and do some tests to see if we can reverse what seems like an alarming trend of our youth losing it.

Once again my heart goes out to all involved something needs to change, and I don't think we should start with in-animate objects, but what cause the people to grab such objects and carry out such atrocities.

SaneThinking

link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Being good at school doesn't make one a good or bad person, or make one immune to insanity. Look at me, I am pretty nuts myself in my own ways, and was taking 10th grade level math in 6th grade

link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Not surprising. A lot of these massacres are done by extremely intelligent young men.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Confirmed that shooter is Ryan Lanza. Most current information says he is 24 years old rather than the 20 that they reported earlier.

Corrected information: shooter's mother was shot, and she worked at the school that this all took place at. Not known what her name is. But it appears as if he shot his mother at the school rather than the house, she is one of the victims.

link   
Seems like they are keeping a tight lid on the identity of the shooter, maybe to keep his family safe, maybe to keep us from investigating any conspiratorial angles, maybe to change information?

link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
CBS News confirms CT gunman's mother was a teacher at the elementary school, she is among those dead

How tragic! So very sad. I am in shock.

link   
This is another truly awful incident. The loss of innocent life is always a tragedy. Unfortunately, incidents such as this play right into the hands of those who wish to remove our 2nd amendment rights enumerated in the Constitution. (rights inherited by our creator, whether stated or not). I am in my early 40's and when I went to school, there were no shooting, knifing, or other violent acts carried out with weapons. Yes, there was the occasional fight and the occasional two on one, but we had something which seems to have been lost in the more recent generations of today; respect for life, the knowledge of 'right & wrong'.

Now this can be attributed, IMHO to the lack of proper character traits and emotional upbringing of our children by parents, and the desensitization of children to acts of violence through the MSM, movies and music, our educational system and government oversight of 'our liberties'.

I was raised in a broken home since birth, lived in several halfway houses before the age of 14, moved to many different cities and states, was bullied almost daily because my last name rhymes with the word 'gay', got into drugs by the age of 8, lived with a drug dealer in my early teens, witnessed a suicide in my bedroom at the age of 16 and have an alcoholic mother, who is now severely disabled. Yet, I did have people around me, my mother included, who had the sense of mind to instill core values into me. Teachers, family and most of those around me tried very hard to raise me, influence me and teach me 'right from wrong'. They succeeded, as I am married with twin girls and am not a violent miscreant. Yes, I do have marital issues which need tending to, but as a whole my core values and moral compass points north. It does this simply because there were adults around me who treated me with love and respect, taught me about honor and the value of life.

Those teachers seemed to care about the students they taught, and provided an environment where the child's natural inquisitiveness and individualism was encouraged. Today, our school system is much different, in the sense that those same teachers are valued more for their ability to 'keep the line moving to make room for the next wave', instead of trying to instill proper morals and character. Now, I certainly am not stating that teachers have no care about those in their classrooms, as I know some wonderful teachers personally, but the vast majority of our educational instructors seem to be more concerned with looking good on paper evaluations for their next pay raise than ensuring the youth of today is guided properly. This is only a small part of the problem in my opinion.

Government oversight of our school system partially to blame for this as well, for without their regulations into the education of our youth, teachers might be a bit more free to take part in our children's character development. More so, the legality of things have changed drastically from my youth as I recall some teachers having the ability to have more control over the children in their class. In my prekindergarten class, the teacher was very strict and would reprimand me by twisting and pulling on my ear. Abuse? maybe, effective, very. I recall myself acting out and being 'naughty' which caused her to take action. Right or wrong on her part, she only needed to do this twice before my attitude changed to be more pleasant and respectful to her and the class. My mother also knew of this occurring as 'she', the teacher, informed my mother of my behavior and also how she handled it. Was my mother pleased to hear that I was physically handled/mishandled? No, but she knew I was not beaten or harmed unjustly, and that a lesson had been conveyed which altered my behavior to a more positive pattern. Today, if a teacher even makes a wrong move, a student is able to accuse them of improper action or abuse, whether it is warranted or not and that teacher is reprimanded and investigated.

Our current generation is forced to work harder to just keep afloat, week to week, month to month and so on. The time available for a parent to spend with their child(ren) has been diminished immensely. The main stream media therefore picks up the pieces with tv shows, cartoons and sitcoms which our children watch without parental guidance, which can be a serious detriment to their formation of morals and character. Music is also partially to blame as it froths at the mouth with a lyrical theme about guns, violence, murder, gangs, womanizing and most other things which society used to find appalling, but now has become accepting of these things from desensitization.

Stories of youths violence is not covered by our media. In some counties, police even refuse to make reports or make arrests because it has become so commonplace. Is this because of the high racial tensions between blacks and whites, or it this because TPTB know the more something happens without recourse the more it is accepted as the norm?

link   

Originally posted by JAK
One last time:

Please note

due to the tragically emotive nature of this story any and all pro/anti gun posts from here on will be removed immediately.

Please respect the request being made here and refrain from all such related posts and comments

Mod, Please do not lock the thread, Just boot the offenders. The majority of us are posting by the rules, some may be posting as they just got on and did not read the entire thread so they may have missed the warning.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
FOX news is saying the 20 yr old report was false and in fact the guy was 24 years old. That would put him about the right age to have a student there.

My heart breaks for the parents and children that were there today. Many prayers being sent up for them.

~OkieDokie

ETA: I see flyswatter beat me to it above. Thanks for the update. This thread is moving superfast.
edit on
edit on 14-12-2012 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

link   
I can't even imagine going through anything like this my thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved, I've seen a lot of F***ed up things working in the ER but never something like this absolutely horrific...... I can't even wrap my head around this

link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Any word on the rest of your family?

link   
police scanner just said "someone that may cause harm" at st. rose church in newtown

doesn't sound like this is finished.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Not much on his facebook

link   

link   
If that's him, judging by his Facebook activity, this is a very strange case. His 'likes' include a couple theatre pages. The game Mass effect. And that's about it. No red flags there.

Very odd.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by n00bUK
America this is just getting stupid and a line needs to be drawn somwhere, either theres a real problem with the people of America or the gun laws are too loose. Something needs to give, this is just madness now. .

We don't hear about this kind of stuff in any other country, its every other week in America. You can say all you want about guns not killing people, I understand that - but its something to do with the general attitude towards firearms that Americans have that must be something to do with the problem.

Liek I said, somethign needs to give, somethign needs to be tackled and stopped and right now you guys are doing nothing about it and this crap is just constant..

So upsetting. . a #ing elementary school. . wtf is wrong with these people.
edit on 14-12-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

Can we take the gun-control conversation to another thread and say it is off topic? This is about an actual breaking event. If you want to theorize about whether the Soviet Union and China have been historically safer than the United States do it elsewhere.

[edit]
Mod: Sorry, I know I shouldn't say the above but I don't want to page through 10 pages of the same conversation we've had 100 times on here while trying to figure out what the latest news is.
edit on 12/14/2012 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

I just seen red whilst reading it. I apologize, buddy.

"I don't want to page through 10 pages of the same conversation we've had 100 times on here while trying to figure out what the latest news is"

I get it, I feel the same

link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Shooter Ryan J Lanza

1313 Grand St, Apt 202 Hoboken, NJ

His father dead at address above. Peter J Lanza

His mother taught at the school. Nancy J Lanza

Ahh, so maybe both reports are correct. Parent dead at house, parent dead at school. I had not heard anything specifically stating father yet, only mother.

link   

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join