It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am an avatar stereotypist!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It's a rare thing for me to know the usernames of the people I reply to. Instead, I tend to judge them solely on their avatar. What I've recently discovered is it's hard for me to take anyone seriously if they have an anime avatar.

There's no denying how cute anime avatars are,

but aren't they for little kids? Seriously, maybe I've gotten too old to appreciate this type of art. At what age should people no longer connect with anime? For me, it's like a fifty year old ready Archie comics. People don't do that, do they?

Anyone can look at my avatar and equate it to my being a lovable old coot. Okay, okay, a grumpy old bastid. lol

If I see an avatar of someone holding a rifle I'm thinking hunter, country fella, or military.

A cuddly cute dog avatar must belong to a female. Right?

What do you read into the avatars of others? Or yours?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you think of my queen kitty avatar?

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

So what do you make of my avi?

I do always see you as an old guy in my head when i read your posts. I also equate guns with outdoorsmen, gun enthusiast or military.

I also always imagine the cute fairy avi's as belonging to a smoking hot woman. Kind of funny how that works now that you mention it.

I wander what the responses will be.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I also tend to slightly judge people based on their avatars. I have found myself actually ignoring you at times because I think you are a grumpy old man.

link   
I'm not much of a fan of anime art myself, Not sure why, it just doesn't appeal to me. Probably because I'm old! LOL

I do think of grumpy old men (with soft hearts) whenever I see yours!!!

Do you think my dog looks cute and cuddly?? He couldn't be farther from it!!!

link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The anime avatars make me think of my son's phases of Pokemon and the Digimon and then other anime cartoons. At least he got into the more artistic and interesting ones eventually, not just the super kitschy commercial animes he loved as a little kid.

Sleepy dog = female in my case.

I love BIAD's avatars, and many others on this site, too numerous to name off.

link   
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you read into the avatars of others? Or yours?

Yours: Cynical, sarcastic, little time for idiots "I pity da fool" comes to mind.
Others: A picture tells a thousand words!
Mamabeth: Love it - very cute with a hint of "catty"
Mine: Awesome - come at me!!

edit on 20-11-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yup, I think of OP as a crochety old guy. But I think there are some seriously devious people out there, like those who put cute dogs up pretending to be female!

Big mistake.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I dare you to read mine.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

After entertaining myself by going through a few threads in which many members posted pictures of themselves I have learned never to judge people by their avatars. It's like following the old adage about not judging a book by it's cover. All is not as it appears!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I shouldn't really speak on avatars given the one I carry is silly.
I have noticed that when I judge a book by its cover,I usually get humbled if I get to know the person.
I have shaken my head at people on here and than talked to them in a voice chat or a chat and was disappointed in myself for judging them as idiotic,only to find out they were very nice people who didn't deserve my scathing opinion of them.

There are certain avatars I shake my head at but to each their own I guess.

The avatars I usually can't stand are the ones of people trying to look enlightened like they know more than everyone else.

I have only changed mine for two reasons.
1.I lost a bet.
2.It was the Christmas season.

I try to stay consistent for the rest of the year.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by jiggerj

What do you think of my queen kitty avatar?

Love it! Especially juggling the wine cork, cats are so funny when they get going, playing with something like that.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

"Aliens made this little statue..."

Naw, just kidding. It brings to mind a game of "cat and mouse", being the power that controls the chess pieces and sacrifices all the little guys for the satisfaction of two beings who are bored out of their minds because they can do anything, so they decide to match wits and strength. The little levitation bit inspires the idea of absolute control over the subjects being ruled (the crown) and the curiosity displayed by the cat seems to imply a fascination with the flaws of the helpless piece it holds in thrall.

All of that together - well, that's my reading of your avatar. Of course, it could just be that you like cats wearing funny headpieces.

Edit: oh, that's a winecork?! Well, I think there's something subliminal in that, so I'm going to go with the chess game. It just seems to fit!

edit on 20-11-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't know, but I'm enjoying Beezzer's avatars lately.

Don't know what my avatar says about me. I like old movie stars with lots of "klaaas" (spoken with a New York accent).

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Everybody does that whether they think about it or not. I try not to look at the avatar when reading something. Sometimes it's useful to read when not logged in and don't even look to see who the post is written by.

Oh, by the way, your avatar always makes me feel good; kinda comfortable... I always loved those movies.
edit on 11/20/2012 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Yep, took me a while to disconnect the members from their avatar

As someone mentioned, theres are some devious peeps who realise people are influenced by them.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
But they are cute until they have a tantrum

Now that you mentioned i had to change mine to my other creation, im now from my normal sweet to rebellious.

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

I like your style
it´s amazing !

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

When someone uses a well known person as part of their avatar, I tend to connect them with that or a character the person has played in a movie. That said, it doesn't make me skip their post or have any opinions about their post until after i read it. It also makes it easier for me to recognise that poster again.

Cute fluffy animals in the avatar usually makes me think female poster, as well as fire and brimstone or guys with guns makes me think male. The more spiritual ones can be both genders for me, that depends on the posting style.

Anime has never really done anything for me, but i know plenty of people who have read comics all their lives and still do. These are people from 40 - 70 years of age. I think it's simply about hanging on to your inner child and i see nothing wrong with it.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of person people think I am simply from seeing my avatar.
edit on 20-11-2012 by Bronagh because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Clothes for the textual versions of ourselves.

Including all the good and bad nuances that clothes for the bodily versions of ourselves come with.

edit on 20-11-2012 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join