It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Romney Blames Loss on Obama’s ‘Gifts’ to Minorities and Young Voters

A week after losing the presidential election to President Obama, Mitt Romney blamed his overwhelming electoral loss on what he said were big “gifts” that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies — including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics.

In a conference call on Wednesday afternoon with his national finance committee, Mr. Romney said that the president had followed the “old playbook” of wooing specific interest groups — “especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people,” Mr. Romney explained — with targeted gifts and initiatives.

“In each case they were very generous in what they gave to those groups,” Mr. Romney said. “With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest, was a big gift,” he said. “Free contraceptives were very big with young college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents’ plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008.”

Source: New York Times Political Blog

I am not one to usually partake in the political debates here on ATS. So my response and comment regarding this article will follow suit for the most part.

Really, my only response to this, is it seems like Romney is being a bit of a sore loser in so many words. I suppose it's his opinion on the matter but for all intent and purpose, he lost fair and square (without falling into the voting system is rigged & the like).

But then again I am admittedly a lay person when it comes to politics and all that it entails....or doesn't entail depending on your view. Nevertheless, I felt this article was worthy of discussion.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Romeny should have stopped after his concession speech. He actually would have gone out on a high note. Instead here is he is demonstrating exactly why the Republicans lost. I mean he's complaining about Obama trying to target the minority and youth vote. Sorry Romney, there's more than just middle aged white people voting.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Americans have woken up and realized they can vote themselves "stuff".

Election turned into American Idol and JZ and Beyonce were the celebrity judges.

Pathetic.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

My question is was what Romney said a lie? No it was not. Part of the reason I am against any politician from Chicago. Obama basically used his position to buy the vote the same as Chicago politicians do.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I think you missed the memo. You are supposed to blame old white men not middle aged white people or has the memo changed?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Anyone who doesn't think the election wasn't bought?

Wow.

Because it was free stuff won.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I am afraid, that the average 18 year old voter is probably innocently ignorant about most things in regards to politics and freedom.

:/

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Sorry Romney, there's more than just middle aged white people voting.

Was listening to the radio a few days ago and some speaker was explaining how, in their current state, the Republicans will never win another presidency.
Obama wins 93 percent of black vote (as expected)
Obama wins 71 percent of Hispanic vote
Obama wins 55 percent of women vote

So... the only thing Romney did well was win the white (and male) vote.
BUT this is a declining demographic in a country that is increasingly multicultural.

The reasoning goes that have already voted twice in one way, with the probability of a third time at the next election as Obama also supports the next candidate, the Black and Hispanic (and Women) voters are all now self declared Democrats.... for many years to come.

And this demographic is a growing percentage of the population.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There's a lot of evidence the election was stolen and if Romney won't acknowledge this then maybe he's in on the conspiracy to destroy this country. He's a weenie. He should be demanding an investigation into voter fraud not playing nice. He makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

And this demographic is a growing percentage of the population.

The conspiracy side of me wonders....is this by design?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So.... the "gifts" that Obama "gave" the young outweighed the "gifts" that Romney would have given to corporations? Sounds to me like the uber rich need to up their numbers so that they'll be capable of creating a strong, grass roots base.

How to accomplish that... How do you make more rich people??? Oh yeah! You create an environment where the middle class and poor can get an education so that they can earn enough to be rich! Wait....

~Heff

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Well, hes not to far from the truth? Some call him a sore loser but I think hes just stating the facts.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Perhaps, but the part I find hard to believe is that they seem surprised by this. Aren't these the type of things that are supposed to be recognized during campaigning and then targeted?

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Now I am really glad he lost if he made such a tasteless statement.
Not only can this man not help but be divisive, he is a sore loser that insults voters.

Maybe they just didn't want you, Mitt?
You ego should allow for that possibility....right?

- Lee

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Since 1935 have any social programs created any millionaires or billionaires?

Nope they don't the only thing social engineering has done is destroyed wealth,and opportunity, and self determination.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Social programs are not meant to create millionaires or billionaires. They exist to help the poorest members of society to have basic food and shelter. If these programs actually created any millionaires then the arguments of the right might have some traction.

Having said that - there are successful people who have come from a background of poverty and who received these benefits during their lifetimes.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Funny Heff. I thought it was against the law to BUY someone's vote. No matter WHO does it. Oh that is right I forgot. It is ok for Obama and his administration as they do not have to follow the law. By the way didn't I read a post from you about banning lobbyists? You know, those guys who BUY the votes of our Congressmen? That's right, Obama does it too that is how Obamacare got through. If it was not your post then I apoligise ahead of time.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
reply to post by Juggernog

Perhaps, but the part I find hard to believe is that they seem surprised by this. Aren't these the type of things that are supposed to be recognized during campaigning and then targeted?

Im surprised he didnt bring it up during the campaign, especially since Romney has a bad habit alienating half the country.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
Americans have woken up and realized they can vote themselves "stuff".

Election turned into American Idol and JZ and Beyonce were the celebrity judges.

Pathetic.

It does not matter if it was Romney that won, because it would also be the same thing where American's like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and all the others that donated to Romney campaign were voting for themselves "free stuff" like writing rules and regulations to benefit them at the expense of the rest of the nation.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Right they don't they create more people who are taking more out of a system than they ever return to it that only takes from the so called greedy to give to the needy.

If the goal was to create more mediocrity in this country they have accomplished that which is the problem only when people strive for exceptionalism instead of being rewarded for failure can the society truly be prosperous.

When a person makes more they return more to the system that "benefits" others, which is where the problem lies with social engineering, but it also has another benefit when a person makes more the less help they need.

That is the theory and here in lies the other problem people need help EVERYONE (except the evil rich) keep wanting more they need more stuff all paid for off the backs of a shrinking minority.

Hell if they were an animal they would have already been put in the endangered species list.

Go look at people who are making up to 100k a year get govenrment subsidies for healthcare btw.
edit on 14-11-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join