It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant sonic boom felt and heard in Indianapolis Indiana(meteor? mass devastation Info blocade

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Natural gas makes the most sense at this point. I would think with an airliner or other airborne object crashing there would be reports of an object coming down before the explosion, or someone reporting hearing what sounded like jet engines before it impacts. Airlines are pretty loud distinct sounds, even when they are coming down.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Any updates from those listening to the live radios? I'm far outside the area, and I don't know if my connection will be able to handle the live stream at this time.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx

Natural gas makes the most sense at this point. I would think with an airliner or other airborne object crashing there would be reports of an object coming down before the explosion, or someone reporting hearing what sounded like jet engines before it impacts. Airlines are pretty loud distinct sounds, even when they are coming down.
here;s a video of some kids walking down the street, you can hear the explosion

the shockwave was massive, it sounded like something slamming not exploding. any input?
edit on 11-11-2012 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

What about the two different poster that said they felt the ground shack before the explosion
it on a few page back ( was also on a few Facebook post too)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Trillium

Ground shaking before the explosion??? That's definately something interesting. Do you or anyone else have any facebook status screen shots mentioning this?

The only reason I could think this would be the case is if, the reverberations in the ground traveled faster than the sound/shockwave in the air. This usually is not the case, but I suppose it could be plausible depending on their location...

As well, if an airliner crashed you would have to be mighty close to feel the ground shake from the impact, and for you not to feel the ground shake from the following explosion.

I would think it's likely, the shaking that was felt was a direct result of the explosion. I'm currently listening to the explosion vid over and over with headphones full blast. The audio in the video sounds like a loud firecracker, but I don't know how far they are from the explosion. No reverberation/echoing. The devistation looks much larger than the explosion sounds, but that should not be taken into account it could be the device it was recorded on or location.

A good way to check this out is go to USGS, if the ground shook significantly a station will have picked it up. Otherwise it's likely those that felt the shake were relatively close to ground zero, and it was a result of a large explosion.

I also want to mention, ground shaking before an explosion is out of place, but I do not think it means something crashing. An airliner makes noise from it's engines even going down. A meteor makes an ENORMOUS amount of noise while traveling through the atmosphere. Something with enough size and energy to create the damage shown in those photos would have made a sonic boom all the way until it hit the ground, not to mention a lovely brilliant tail of burning, smoking material. A satellite as well would have had a brilliant tail all the way until at the very least over the impact site, but it would have still had a smokey tail due to re-entry.

Natural gas makes the most sense given the area. It seems unlikely someone would place a bomb in the area, but it could very well happen just not in the terrorist sense. I would think a bomb in an area like this would be targeting an individual or household not the neighbourhood. Dirty bomb falls under same criteria for me. It would make more sense to place a device like that or a bomb in a busy area, like downtown or a mall where the most people could be harmed/affected.

Please, if you disagree continue discussing. I am not there, I can not say for sure. How ever I do think it very likely it was a natural gas explosion. It looks very much like one, and they can vary from a small fire to an entire neighbourhood when they go off. It's an exact science fuel/air mixture for detonation so the odds seem slim, but it's entirely possible. Intentional or not.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Ground shaking before the explosion??? That's definately something interesting. Do you or anyone else have any facebook status screen shots mentioning this?

The only reason I could think this would be the case is if, the reverberations in the ground traveled faster than the sound/shockwave in the air. This usually is not the case, but I suppose it could be plausible depending on their location...

As well, if an airliner crashed you would have to be mighty close to feel the ground shake from the impact, and for you not to feel the ground shake from the following explosion.

I would think it's likely, the shaking that was felt was a direct result of the explosion. I'm currently listening to the explosion vid over and over with headphones full blast. The audio in the video sounds like a loud firecracker, but I don't know how far they are from the explosion. No reverberation/echoing. The devistation looks much larger than the explosion sounds, but that should not be taken into account it could be the device it was recorded on or location.

A good way to check this out is go to USGS, if the ground shook significantly a station will have picked it up. Otherwise it's likely those that felt the shake were relatively close to ground zero, and it was a result of a large explosion.
according to google maps I was 5.2 mi away from the explosion, I definitely did feel the shaking first, as I was like wtf is going on, then the shockwave hit and really messed with my mind. the video with the sound, to me sounds about 10 miles away, as what I heard was the most inhuman crashing noise you could imagine, it was probably 2x as loud as that video.

The USGS site is broken for me
edit on 11-11-2012 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

in an occupied dwelling though, occupants should have detected/smelled a build up that big, long before the point of explosion.

and for some odd reason, my gutt is telling me the end result is going to be declared a suicide.

If you go by that analogy then it may possible they didn't smell it because they might have been already dead either by murder, or passing out from the fumes, or suicide.

That seems to be a pretty expensive place to live, and I know those houses sell in the 1/2 mils just about.

Could be whoever lived in those houses are major players of some organization or in some witsec program.

Or, could just be a natural accident.

Too many possibilities.

Be nice if they narrow it down a bit.
edit on 11-11-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maskander

Wow, that's a little different. Okay, I will look up USGS, can anyone help me narrow down the area? I don't live in the states. Can you give me a recount of as much detail as you can? Like any noise before the shaking, explosion? so by google maps 5.2miles?? we will use 5 as a round number, so shaking first then explosion/crashing noise?

Another poster mentioned this is a wealthy neighbourhood? So this may lessen the likeliness of it being a drug lab.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I read one confirmed dead. With 2 houses totally leveled and a few others on fire just one seems really lucky.

Like too lucky. I wanna know who the dead person is/was. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but could it have been one of the drones I keep reading about taking out 1 target when it had the opportunity to do so without killing others???

It's late my imagination tends to go a 'lil wild when it is late. lol

Just a crazy idea I wanted to throw out there.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Smells like sabotage to me, guess we'll never know since it's a blasted ruin now.
edit on 11-11-2012 by slayer420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If the residents were asleep, it is highly likely they did not smell the gas or could have succumbed to the gas.

This is why many homes with gas appliances are supposed to have carbon monoxide and gas alarms in the home.

You don't necessarily need a large volume of gas for an explosion to occur, as well if it's a slow leak it's possible the residents didn't even notice the smell. Many of us are unaware of our homes smell, we just grow accustomed to it. Ever been to a household with a few cats? Those of us who don't live with cats smell the litter box immediately, where as those who do may not.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I believe the posters of that video were a mile from the explosion, if that helps at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I see no seismic activity for the area. I'm completely stumped as to why the, shaking would have been felt before the sound got there. I mean, unless you happen to be on the same piece of bedrock and it literally rang like a bell, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A shock wave travels pretty damn fast, as well as the sound. It would make more sense the ground would absorb the shock, and it would travel more slowly losing strength rapidly as it traveled outward. I'm very curious to hear what they say is the reason for the explosion. I'm leaning towards natural gas, but I can't say I will be surprised if it isn't.

Could have been a hit, given it's a wealthy neighbourhood. Rather loud, ballsy one if it is.

Another poster brought up drone strike. I can't say I'd be surprised with the way the US gov is goin, but I'd be more likely to accept it was a homegrown terrorist vat of explosives gone wrong before accepting it was a drone strike.

There probably wouldn't be as much fire if it was a missile. Conventional explosives don't burn like they do on TV. Big cloud of debris yeah, and I could see a house next door getting buggered as collateral, but I'm still putting my money on Natural Gas.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Have I been adopted to discern the events? Ha ha, Hijinx...PI.... I like the sounds of that.

Thanks, at this point I have no idea what to say. It is very likely this was a natural gas explosion, given the area, the damage and after math. Whether it was set off intentionally, or accidentally we will literally have to wait and see.

From the evidence presented, and witness reports I just don't see this being an airliner, meteorite, or anything falling from the sky. It definitely sounds like an explosion. In the video of the explosion, I could not hear anything before the boom. It was silent, then a few seconds later Boom then what sounds like rustling of the individual running back to their house. If it was recorded a mile away that should be close enough to hear an airliners engine, and we don't so it's not a plane guys. No reports of streaks, fireballs, smoke trails, it's not a missile, meteor or satellite.. I'm curious as to why they were recording black right before the boom though. Seemed strange to me, but the video could have been cut down for the meat and potatoes so to speak.

Please, make of this what you will. I'm just applying my experience and logic to what has been presented. I will have to admit the ATS in me thinks a lot of what the others have said but it doesn't add up fortunately.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
welp
i'm saying it's a meth lab explosion

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

That would be a pretty big meth lab to level two homes, and blow out the windows and doors of surrounding homes, as well as be heard out to ten miles.

I still stand it was a gas leak in a home that lead to an explosion. The average size of a home, with the right fuel air mixture is a massive bomb waiting to go kaput, and in this case it looks like that's the case.

Heart goes out to those affected by this blast, a gas leak explosion took the lives of a family and a chunk out of the neighbouring home not far from where I live a few years ago.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I wonder if this was a drone strike on some prepper. Not many details... Would a missile create a blast/sonic boom sound heard 30 miles out?

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Frettin

Yes, it would. How ever I doubt they would send out a drone to strike a prepper when they could just use the swat team, and recover their supplies. Ammo is ammo, and the department would need it more than the prepper. As well, a whole lot of homes were damaged by this blast so I sincerely doubt they would launch a drone(costs money to operate), shoot a missile(cost up to hundreds of thousands,), and destroy not only the target but the homes around it. As well, there are too many mouths involved in launching a drone on a homeland target to keep it quiet.

Not to mention, there was no noise to indicate a missile came in, no trail or light in the sky. Rocket motors produce smoke and light.

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I took a vote...you won.

PI Hijynx.....

posted on Nov, 11 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I also want to mention, ground shaking before an explosion is out of place, but I do not think it means something crashing. An airliner makes noise from it's engines even going down. A meteor makes an ENORMOUS amount of noise while traveling through the atmosphere. Something with enough size and energy to create the damage shown in those photos would have made a sonic boom all the way until it hit the ground, not to mention a lovely brilliant tail of burning, smoking material. A satellite as well would have had a brilliant tail all the way until at the very least over the impact site, but it would have still had a smokey tail due to re-entry.

Natural gas makes the most sense given the area. It seems unlikely someone would place a bomb in the area, but it could very well happen just not in the terrorist sense. I would think a bomb in an area like this would be targeting an individual or household not the neighbourhood. Dirty bomb falls under same criteria for me. It would make more sense to place a device like that or a bomb in a busy area, like downtown or a mall where the most people could be harmed/affected.

Please, if you disagree continue discussing. I am not there, I can not say for sure. How ever I do think it very likely it was a natural gas explosion. It looks very much like one, and they can vary from a small fire to an entire neighbourhood when they go off. It's an exact science fuel/air mixture for detonation so the odds seem slim, but it's entirely possible. Intentional or not.

Ok had trouble finding it but here

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join