It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween To Fall on a Sunday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Some christians are having problems with the fact that Halloween falls on a Sunday this year. They are planning on turning kids away who are trick or treating and some aren't letting their kids go out trick or treating on that day. I don't understand, it's just a fun holiday for kids, what is the harm in it?

cnn.com
NEWNAN, Georgia (AP) -- Across the Bible Belt this Halloween, some little ghosts and goblins might get shooed away by the neighbors -- and some youngsters will not be allowed to go trick-or-treating at all -- because the holiday falls on a Sunday this year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Alot of Churches and families are planning on celebrating Halloween on Saturday. I am a christian and I don't see any reason why the kids can't celebrate their "candy day" on Sunday.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the link deeprivergal,

Taking in consideration that is nothing more than a day for the littler ones to get candy and "dress up" I find it so ridiculous that religious movements want to show their "power"

Now what is more ridiculous is that actually the day of the lord is the Sabbath not Sunday, Sunday became a "choice" due to "convenience"

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Jeez.

I remember that happening when I was growing up - in a Christian family. Damn thing is, the school we went to, a Christian one, every year had a Halloween party, dress up as Witches and ghouls and all.

A bit hypocrytical.

I am "damned to hell" because I now observe, quite literally, the Samhein rituals - yet every year I see the Christian parents, that would damn me if they knew, bringing their kids to the house for treats. If they only knew the ppl dressed up here as Witches, arn't just dressing up, heh.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
You know, for the past milennia or so (and before that), Halloween has fallen on a Sunday at least once every 14 years or so. It hasn't, in the past 1,000 years or more, incited any more evil than any other holiday.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal
Alot of Churches and families are planning on celebrating Halloween on Saturday. I am a christian and I don't see any reason why the kids can't celebrate their "candy day" on Sunday.

Really? then read the following post [innapropriate name calling removed]!

Originally posted by Misfit
I am "damned to hell" because I now observe, quite literally, the Samhein rituals - yet every year I see the Christian parents, that would damn me if they knew, bringing their kids to the house for treats. If they only knew the ppl dressed up here as Witches, arn't just dressing up, heh.

your kids will most probably come across a few houses like this guys, full of evil weirdos who perform evil spells and rituals on the candy they give kids. also there is bound to be a few pedophiles among the hundreds of doors being knocked. it would take very little to kidnap children on halloween.

here in australia, halloween is not celebrated. thank god.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I understood it that Halloween was a Pagan event. Bit starnge that Christians take part in Halloween, no?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashlar

Really? then read the following post, you brainless lemming!

your kids will most probably come across a few houses like this guys, full of evil weirdos who perform evil spells and rituals on the candy they give kids. also there is bound to be a few pedophiles among the hundreds of doors being knocked. it would take very little to kidnap children on halloween.

here in australia, halloween is not celebrated. thank god.

I beg your pardon here....Misfit is my husband and we are Wiccan not evil weirdoes! You need to do some serious study! Just where did you get that we put "evil Spells" on their candy!? Where did he say that!? You have no idea what your talking about! Our rituals on Samhain are to honor loved ones that have passed over to the Summerland.....I take that as a direct personal attack on someone and I don't like it! You are saying that because we practice the rituals we are evil....most of the Catholic ritual is the same thing....you are a typical Christian....mouthing off what you know nothing of....to find real evil in the world, you have to look at the deeds done by "organized religion" not ours!:

Edite: Just looked at your name and the message under it, "israel must fall"

[edit on 10/17/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Here in australia, halloween is not celebrated. thank god.

Seems someone already beat me to the punch commenting on the "evil weirdoes" comment you made. But um, Australia doesn't celebrate halloween?

There are usually heaps of halloween parties aroud Australia. Big fancy dress parties at universities, the local nightclub here throws a halloween night, as does (or at least did when i was younger) the skating rink and ten pin bowls place. There's also numerous house parties. It's the aussie way. Any excuse to get drunk, dres up stupid & have fun hehe. If that isn't celebrating halloween then i don't know what is.

And btw, it's just as likely your kid could be abducted on their way to/from school or some other event as it is someone will abduct them on halloween.....

As for the evil weirdoes comment, sorry but it annoys me too much to not say anything about it, try having abit more of an open / accepting mind. If you're a god fearing person, then I believe the instruction(s) you were given by Jesus were "love your neighbour as you love yourself"? and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? You're kinda failing on those instructions by labelling people "evil wierdoes"...

If I apply those instructions ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you") to you, does that mean I should assume you want people to label you and make you feel alienated and not worthy or breathing the same air the rest of us?

Oh actually, sorry. I just realised. I'm an evil weirdo because I don't have exactly the same belief system and attitude as you....I'll go hide in a small dark corner now and await the fiery pits of hell like the evil scumsucker I am...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I beg your pardon here....Misfit is my husband and we are Wiccan not evil weirdoes! You need to do some serious study! Just where did you get that we put "evil Spells" on their candy!? Where did he say that!? You have no idea what your talking about! Our rituals on Samhain are to honor loved ones that have passed over to the Summerland.....I take that as a direct personal attack on someone and I don't like it! You are saying that because we practice the rituals we are evil....most of the Catholic ritual is the same thing....you are a typical Christian....mouthing off what you know nothing of....to find real evil in the world, you have to look at the deeds done by "organized religion" not ours!:

I agree LadyV, why is it that people whom do not take the time to research anything they are talking about are the first one's to jump all over something? It really makes others doubt their true intelligence.

My fiance' is a Wiccan as well, and would be disgusted with what Ashlar said. I guess he also fails to realize that nearly every Christian holiday was borrowed from Pagan religions, quite noteably that of the early British and German religions and the Celts and Gauls. When Christianity became widespread they knew they would need a way to convert the "pagan hoards" to their religion, so what did they do? They simply took Pagan festivals and holidays and reworked them in order to show that Christianity was the "true" religion, and that what they believed was inspired by Satan. It was typical Christian practice, and was an easy way for them to convert the people instead of forcing the people to change everything. In a way, they adapted to Paganism, and Paganism adapted into Christianity. However, it seems even though we live in the 21st Century people like Ashlar are still trying to hold on to the last vestiges of an incorrect belief (in that Pagan's are associated with the Devil, etc.).

Samhain was originally a belief practiced by ancient people's of particularly the British Isles. They believed it was a time when the spirits could come back to earth and take what they wanted from family members and others. If someone wanted to be protected from the spirits they would dress up in costumes like the spirits so that when approached by one the spirit would think that the person was a spirit as well, thereby diverting their presence.

Also, the practice of "trick or treat" can be related to this ancient custom. The spirit would come to the door, and if the family was not properly protected would demand a "treat". If the family did not offer the spirit a treat to please it and make it go away they would be "tricked"; meaning the spirit may do something bad to them if it so desired. The act of putting pumpkins around the house was also a warning for the spirits to stay away from a particular house, as it meant protection.

I'm sure some of you knew this information, but for others...like Ashlar...you can clearly see...no "evil" here.

Wicca is a religion based on nature, and the preservation of it. For someone to even derive an evil meaning out of this religion they have to be totally uninformed, and have not done any research on it...other than what the local Bible thumpers tell them.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ya know....what annoys me most, is that these people can't seem to understand why so many young people, as well as those older, are turning away from organized religion! Look at the way many that follow organized religion portray, themselves!? Who wants to be a part of something that is closed minded, narrow, rigid, judgmental and uninformed, usually not only of other's faith & beliefs, but of their own teachings as well! Doesn't make their faith look particularly inviting does it!?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Ya know....what annoys me most, is that these people can't seem to understand why so many young people, as well as those older, are turning away from organized religion! Look at the way many that follow organized religion portray, themselves!? Who wants to be a part of something that is closed minded, narrow, rigid, judgmental and uninformed, usually not only of other's faith & beliefs, but of their own teachings as well! Doesn't make their faith look particularly inviting does it!?

That is one of the reasons why I cannot say that I am jewish. I was raised a jew but as an adult I feel that the true religion has been slandered. It has been torn apart. Like most religion. Rewritten to suit the current leaders.

Both me and my wife have looked into other religions and although I have great respect for all I have chosen to not follow any. I tell people when I worship G-D, I go out into the woods or even better I clean nature. I try to pick up the trash that is put there by man. I do not need a man made temple. I feel closer to G-D when sitting under a tree than when in a congragation reading a book.

LadyV, my wife is actually very interested in Wicca, but I think with her religious history she has chosen to stay away from religions at the current. I do not know nearely as much as her but from what I do know it does sound like a buetifull(sp) religion. Please do not let the un-informed and ill-informed get to you. I know you already do not, but it is just sad to see that this country is still breeding ignorance just as strong as it did 50 years ago.

I am sorry if I was off topic. To get back on I think it is appaling to not let your child trick or treat just becouse it is sunday. Like another poster said, saturday is the true day of sabbath. But like organised religions, convience is what matters.

**As a leader of anything, to any religious scholar, change line X from sectionn X in the book of X to better suit me.**

[edit on 17-10-2004 by jmilici]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't know weather to be fuming, or in hysterics.

You, Ashlar, are EXACTLY the reason I refute the Christian principles in whole.
You have tags of scripture, implying your faith, yet yourself are denouncing that faith by the hatred you blatantly cast.
Hell man, your mood is even "Wrath" - that is your Gods' job? At least that is what his book says.
I don't need to say to much here, my wife did a fine job of defending our faith.
Just wanted to voice my thought on your ignorance. This boards motto is "deny ignorance" - seems you don't fit in to well do you.
You are quite obviously one of those "do what the preacher says" Chrisitians, never questioning, NOT LEARNING FOR YOURSELF, what your own religion is about.

To (possibly) better your understanding of us, read the "Wiccan Rede", it is what we (and other Pagan faiths outside Wicca) guide our lives by. You will NOT find anything of what you spewed in your post within it.

www.wicca.com...

Bright Blessings

Misfit

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I finally found my halloween costume!! I'm going to dress up as Ashlar's post. Now THAT is scarry

..or should I be Jesus since it's Sunday? Perhaps I should dress up as Saturday? Maybe I will just cast spells on all the candy I give out to make people just *think* it's Saturday so no one will be upset. I will fill my squirt bottle with holy water and spritz children that come to my door. *tssst tssst*

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

....to find real evil in the world, you have to look at the deeds done by "organized religion" not ours!

and deeds done by atheists or non religion, deeds done by "unorganized religion" etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I don't know weather to be fuming, or in hysterics.

You, Ashlar, are EXACTLY the reason I refute the Christian principles in whole.
You have tags of scripture, implying your faith, yet yourself are denouncing that faith by the hatred you blatantly cast.
Hell man, your mood is even "Wrath" - that is your Gods' job? At least that is what his book says.
I don't need to say to much here, my wife did a fine job of defending our faith.
Just wanted to voice my thought on your ignorance. This boards motto is "deny ignorance" - seems you don't fit in to well do you.
You are quite obviously one of those "do what the preacher says" Chrisitians, never questioning, NOT LEARNING FOR YOURSELF, what your own religion is about.

To (possibly) better your understanding of us, read the "Wiccan Rede", it is what we (and other Pagan faiths outside Wicca) guide our lives by. You will NOT find anything of what you spewed in your post within it.

www.wicca.com...

Bright Blessings

Misfit

dont judge a whole religion by the act of one suppose follower. in this case judge christianity by Jesus alone.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

They simply took Pagan festivals and holidays and reworked them in order to show that Christianity was the "true" religion, and that what they believed was inspired by Satan.

and not just the festivals and holidays, in many cases they changed the names
of the dieties and made them "saints", sometimes not even changing the names
Notre Dame comes to mind.

Before they could attribute them to Satan they had to create satan, as i recall
Pan was the God they used as a base and model.

jmilici
you might find there is less " organisation " involved with Wicca than you
think. you will also find that many who practice Wicca are Solitaries, who do not belong to organized groups.

We also when seeking choose the forest,mountains and lakes when seeking
He who watches over us all. I have tried to tell missionaries for years but they
cant seem to grasp that we prefer when seeking the Creator to seek in the
places that S/He created rather that in those places created by man.

LL1

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
There's a saying somewhere around here, that when you break
it down it means:
If you don't like what a member has stated or you agree, just keep it movin'... without insults...
I saw nowhere where you were first personally attacked.
There was no need for the name calling insult.
What will people now think of Christians, are you Christian?
To each their own Ashlar...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
dont judge a whole religion by the act of one suppose follower. in this case judge christianity by Jesus alone.

That's just it tho, when 99% of the "Christians" you meet/know have just this attitude, what else are you to think of that religion in whole?

Add to that concept, when you (me) yourself were raised in the Christian environment, and KNOW the above concept to be true, it only strengthens the negative perception of the religion.

Misfit

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Misfit]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think I might know why Christians are celebrating it on Saturday and not sunday. Its because to them, Sunday is a holy day and thats a day of like, salvation or something. See, I don't really get religion, and I don't go to church, and for me, Halloween on a Sunday is torture because of SCHOOL! DIE! DIE! DIE CALANDER DIE!

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
People don't get angry to the "ones" that still think Halloween is evil.

Remember they are behind the veil of ignorance.

While we believers of the Halloween celebration are having fun they are scare and angry behind their ignorance I will be more cautious about them that the witches and goblins in the neighborhood.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join