It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of Scent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
As I'm sitting here peeling an orange, I have to admit my mood is elevated by the simple scent of oranges. It has always been a favorite scent of mine, and it makes me aware that aromatherapy is indeed a very viable solution to elevate feelings of depression.

I also love the scent of cinnamon and cloves, and often throw cloves and cinnamon into water and simmer it in my home, to experience the wonderful scent.

Smelling a nice orange brandy does the same thing, and I'm sure there are many of us who have favorite scents that actually bolster our moods, and help us to feel better.

I am aware there are those who are very sensitive to scent, and it causes allergic reactions, and I do feel bad for these people.

It was very disheartening for me to have to work in a scent free environment for some time, and though I feel bad for those who can't tolerate it, I love the clean smell of soap on others, and even a very nice perfume, cologne or after shave (not overly done),and it has a very positive effect on me.

For those with severe scent allergies , I really do feel for you..but for those with severe scent allergies, that come to work stinking of BO, bad breath, and are constantly letting nauseous gas emissions fly around, please understand when someone really needs to spray some nicely scented air freshener around you. It prevents us from gaggiing, and is important for our mental well being as well.

Just curious as to what scents others enjoy, and why, and would love to hear some feedback on aromatherapy by those who may know more about it.

edit on 21-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The first time I grew my own tomatoes as an adult, when I started harvesting them, the scent sent me back to my childhood immediately and I remembered being in the garden with my mother, hanging onto her dress. I must have been under two, so that was my earliest memory.

I love lemongrass. I mix it with rubbing alcohol and distilled water to use as a mosquito repellent. Love the smell!

Eucalyptus is one of my favorite scents! My favorite candle is black cherry.

I could go on and on!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I love the smell of grass and of dirt after a downpour (lucky for me we get a lot of rain where I live lol) I also love the smell of apples mixed with cinnamon. I love, love, love when the orange trees blossom - that might be my favorite of all.

I don't really like perfumes/colognes and what not. I think because they always make me sneeze lol.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

I make hand made aromatherapy soaps lotions etc....I'm always pleasantly surprised at what particular scents my clients are attracted to, and what emotions those scents evoke in them. The ones you mentioned above are some of my personal favorites. They bring back memories of cold winter nights in front of the fireplace, and bright summer days, depending on my mood. Now that we are leading into winter in my area, I'm stocking up on star anise essential oil, menthol crystals, and camphor oil.....aromatherapy chest rubs are very popular in winter.

Nice thread.....

Des

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

I make hand made aromatherapy soaps lotions etc....I'm always pleasantly surprised at what particular scents my clients are attracted to, and what emotions those scents evoke in them. The ones you mentioned above are some of my personal favorites. They bring back memories of cold winter nights in front of the fireplace, and bright summer days, depending on my mood. Now that we are leading into winter in my area, I'm stocking up on star anise essential oil, menthol crystals, and camphor oil.....aromatherapy chest rubs are very popular in winter.

Nice thread.....

Des

You must have so much enjoyment, and get great satisfaction out of making these products.

Scents are seasonal, and it is wise to be aware of this, if you sell scented products.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Fresh mowed grass is my all time favorite. And the scent of homemade vegetable soup sends me back in time, to my grandma's place, every time !

On the other hand, the scent of smoked herring will send me running out the door in a flash.. can't stand that smell !

Scents do create emotional responses. Cool thread and very original topic !!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
The first time I grew my own tomatoes as an adult, when I started harvesting them, the scent sent me back to my childhood immediately and I remembered being in the garden with my mother, hanging onto her dress. I must have been under two, so that was my earliest memory.

I love lemongrass. I mix it with rubbing alcohol and distilled water to use as a mosquito repellent. Love the smell!

Eucalyptus is one of my favorite scents! My favorite candle is black cherry.

I could go on and on!

As Destiny1 said in her post, they do evoke powerful memories.

They can be a great comfort and even healing for many.

On the flip side , they can also evoke some not so great memories or emotions. There is one brand of mens cologne, though as nice as it may smell, that brings back negative emotions of a disappointing relationship.

I find it quite intriguing that the mere scent of something can so quickly evoke deep emotion, whether it be good or bad.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun

Fresh mowed grass is my all time favorite. And the scent of homemade vegetable soup sends me back in time, to my grandma's place, every time !

On the other hand, the scent of smoked herring will send me running out the door in a flash.. can't stand that smell !

Scents do create emotional responses. Cool thread and very original topic !!

Its amazing how many people enjoy the smell of fresh cut grass.

It is one of my daughters favorites.

They even make scents in cologne and perfume to mimic it.

www.scent.net...

www.saveonscents.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The smell of fresh brewed coffee Is quite possibly my favorite.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Im a perfume-a-holic. I have a scent library and a wine fridge that I keep my good stuff in. Yeah.. I lost my mind a LONG time ago.
I worked in an ER for yrs and one day my daughter commented on my smell on my clothes when I came home. That freaked me out so I found I wanted to make sure I didnt smell like a gut wagon plus cavicide when I wasnt at work. Anyway, one thing that has always been interesting to me is the response.. or I guess how Im treated more.. with certain scents. I never bathe in the stuff.. for as much as I pay for a few of them I cant afford to wear much or every day in any case. Just a quick but interesting few observations:

Demeter Whiskey and Tobacco : Men LOOOVE this scent. I do too. Quite possibly one of my faves.
Demeter Holy Smoke : I feel a hell of a lot less rageful when wearing it, so I wear it at or during certain events.
Demeter Funeral Home : forget the name.. this perfume makes EVERYONE who smells it happy.
Frederic Malle’s Carnal Flower : bottled sex appeal.
Fracas by Robt Piguet: Makes ME feel sexy
Narciso rodriguez for her : I do not know one man who doesnt love this.. including my husband.
Boudior by Viv Westwood : I cant stand the smell, but others seem to love it when I wear it.
Theirry Mugler Alien : Another one that drives the husband crazy.

Just one I love is called Green Tomato by Demeter. It helps that demeter is el cheapo

Another thing I have gotten into is the perfume oils. My faves are made by a place called
Black Phoenix Alchemy
I have about 40 of their scents.. but above ALL the best is : Ultraviolet.
Ever have worn a scent that you get a whif of in the middle of the night and you are just happy in your soul? Yeah, me either until I discovered Ultraviolet and scented my hair with it ( in my coconut oil) . I think of all of the scents.. from pure and expensive to cheap single notes.. THIS scent is the real me.
Unfortunately you get addicted to this site AND the scents.

Candle? You can NOT beat a specialty candle called Dia De Los Muertos by Modern Alchemy.
www.modernalchemyco.com...
And its worth every penny.

There.. I have bared my obsession to ATS after all of these years of keeping my insanity undercover.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Wow, you really do like your scents..and seem to have an array of favorites.

I bet you smell wonderful .

Thanks for the tips on so many great scents and I want to check some of them out...as you have made them sound very alluring.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Wow, you really do like your scents..and seem to have an array of favorites.

I bet you smell wonderful .

Thanks for the tips on so many great scents and I want to check some of them out...as you have made them sound very alluring.

Oh youre welcome
Basically anything Demeter puts out is cheap and good. They dont have much lasting power... but they also arent strong enough to overpower anyone if you refresh the scent with a little purse size or whatever. Your mind will be blown by the Black Phoenix site. HEHE!!

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Interesting topic! S&F!

I love the smell of baking cornbread, reminds me of childhood. And freshly mowed grass does as well. I was really surprised to see others mentioning grass.

In winter, I love cinnamon with apples, and the smell of peppermint. In fall, it's pumpkins and spice. In the spring and summer, I enjoy the smell after a gentle rain.

Here's a weird one, though. Have you ever smelled a papermil? They have a very unique, unpleasant, and strong smell.

Well, I actually love that smell. Every summer, when my family would head to the beach, we'd drive through Canton, NC and smell that scent. So now I associate that aroma with happy memories with my family.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Violet, I love love love. Right now, I'm packaging up my Violet Cassis hand made soaps, and labeling the Violet Cassis lotions....should be a good winter seller. Very heady....with smokey musk bottom notes....

I think you'd like it too....

Des

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Violet, I love love love. Right now, I'm packaging up my Violet Cassis hand made soaps, and labeling the Violet Cassis lotions....should be a good winter seller. Very heady....with smokey musk bottom notes....

I think you'd like it too....

Des

Destiny.. youre a devil temptress.
Im a sucker for anything smokey. I douse the husband in Demeters "Fireplace".. it smells exactly like your clothes do after youve been sitting around a bonfire!

Did you go to BPL and check out the scent combo in Ultraviolet? Its a WEIRD combo and only reacts when its on the skin for a while. Many people dont seem to like it at first. Their description is :" Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint". Somehow.. it really smells like that!
www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com... Scroll down.

Erm... Des.. I have paypal and you can PM me.

edit on 21-9-2012 by Advantage because: Cuz Im a sucker.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Just the other day I was commenting to a coworker how I can remember the smell of school. Way back in the late '70s. The waxed floors, chalk, desks, books, papers, cleaning supplies, etc.

It's interesting to me to think that most schools probably smell the same. I have weird thoughts like that a lot.

Some of my favorite scents are coffee, baking bread, cinnamon rolls, etc. I have a cockatiel and I've always loved the way she smells. Really! She has some kind of powdery, clean smell which I enjoy sniffing.

I know exactly what scent I loathe: seafood. Anything that comes from the water grosses me out. I have to hold my breath while walking past the seafood section in the grocery store.

And woe to the person who brings fish to work.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

First, I will relate some of my favourite smells, and then I will tell you a truth about smell.
Bacon frying in a skillet
Fresh Coffee
Vanilla
A certain unnamed herb
Lilacs

Here is something I learned from a forensic tech. When you "smell" a thing, what really happens is microscopic molecules from the thing itself drift up and are drawn into your nasal passages. Your brain interpret this as a smell, when actually it is something quite different. Remember that next time you go into a public rest room, friends.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thank you all for replying to this thread.

I find your replies interesting, especially regarding smells bringing back emotions and why.

It amazes me that smell can so quickly evoke an emotion associated with it , even if it is way back from childhood.

I found this article on hospitals giving babies a gown worn by their mother to appease their crying.

Children between the ages of 18 months and 24 months are especially susceptible to separation anxiety , so wearing a shirt for a few hours , and wrapping it around a pillow, or just giving it to the child to hold, when mother is gone, may relieve some of that anxiety.

I Thought mothers or fathers who are dealing with very distraught kids when they are planning to leave for work, or going out on occasion, may find that tip useful.

www.psychologytoday.com...

edit on 23-9-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
After reading your thread I am reminded of this rather intense movie. It's about a young man with a perfect sense of smell, He begins to make perfume then runs amok. Extremely well produced and with a ending that was fun and surprising.

s&f
edit on 23-9-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2012 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

wow..
...that trailer looks amazing....and scary.

I vaguely recall hearing about that movie , but now I must go and rent it.

Thank you for posting it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join