It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats drop 'GOD' and 'Jerusalem' from Party Platform

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wujotvowujotvowujotvo
Democrats change platform to add God, Jerusalem
By JULIE PACE and STEVE PEOPLES
Associated Press
Posted: Wednesday, Sep. 05, 2012

www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/09/05/3506408/democrats-change-platform-to-add.html

CHARLOTTE, N.C. Democrats have changed their convention platform to add a mention of God and declare that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.

The move came after criticism from Republicans.

Many in the audience booed after the convention chairman, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, ruled that the amendments had been approved despite the fact that a large group of delegates objected.

He called for a vote three times before ruling.

The party reinstated language from the 2008 platform that said "we need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential."

The platform also now includes what advisers said was Obama's personal views on Jerusalem.

Peoples reported from Utah.

Did anyone watch this vote on TV?

The Nay's had it. There was no 2/3 majority vote. The Speaker then looks confused and does not know what to do. Some lady comes up to him and the mic picks her up saying, "Just keep going, they are gonna do what they are gonna do". He then does the vote a second time, and gives it to the "Yays" to a chorus of boos.

I am looking for the video now, so far no one is posting it, just article like this one saying it was "controversial".
Democrats amend platform

But delegates were split on the changes. Convention chairman Antonio Villaraigosa took three roll call votes before declaring that the amendments had passed and was booed when he did so.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Video at link. Sounded evenly split so I don't blame the "nay's" for being angry it was no 2/3rds majority.

www.weeklystandard.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by Destinyone
This is just one step closer to editing the word God from all books. In this attempt at political correctness, another foundations stone of what our once great nation used as a moral compass, has been eroded. It makes sense, I guess, to those who prefer a society using as it's foundation the concept of no accountability.

jmoho...

Des

Not like we didn't know this was coming, they've been working on it for years, slowly eroding God out of America. There will always be a remnant, they can't change or stop that.

No one in either party wants to erode God out of America just put it in its place. In the church where it belongs not in congress and not in the white house. Separation of church and state should be made into law. That way we won't have to worry about a president taking orders from the Vatican, Tel Aviv (the real capital of Israel) or Mecca.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mads1987
Religion is a touchy subject - and a politician evading simple questions doesn't sound like anything new to me.

Nothing new... but anytime a politician avoids a question, it should result in a landslide of follow-ups.

"You, sir, are not allowed to hide things."

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

we should compare what the republicans and democrats have done here... if voting made a difference they would make it illegal

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

They made their point...and then they retracted it. Disappointing beyond belief. I take issue with this on so many levels... Now who's being wishy-washy?

Repeat of last week at the RNC, which horrified me as well. Just...wow.

edit on 5-9-2012 by otherpotato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
reply to post by Annee

They made their point...and then they retracted it. Disappointing beyond belief. I take issue with this on so many levels... Now who's being wishy-washy?

Repeat of last week at the RNC, which horrified me as well. Just...wow.

Yes - - to me it sucks.

But - - politics must represent all involved. If majority of Dems voted to re-instate it - - - then it must be I guess.

The major problem with Dems is their diversity. Which is a good thing IMO - - - but also creates a problem in cohesiveness.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

GOOD, there is no room for God in politics. There is a reason why the repbulican party gets called the Taliban nowadays. It's nice to see the democrats going in the opposite direction. Religion is dying in this country. They shall prevail.

edit on 5-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well I just watched, twice, and I didn't hear the "ayes" have it. If anything it was evenly divided but in my opinion the "no's" had it. After three votes. But at least they didn't completely ignore the dissent, like they did...somewhere else...

This is what third parties are made of.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't know the authenticity of this, nor do I actually care...its a bit like dropping skittles and puppies from their platform.

show me on a map of the US where Jerusalem is. Its not there. I want a politician whom is focused on this country first, not another.

and

anyone whom looks to a politician for religious guidance is doing neither right. I want my preacher to guide my soul, and a politician to guide the economy. if your confused about the two, then don't vote, and don't pray..because your made of fail.. start again, read a book, and find the differences between religion and government..and more importantly, find out the dangers of when they are the same. Some good examples are seen in the middle east.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

This is just one step closer to editing the word God from all books. In this attempt at political correctness, another foundations stone of what our once great nation used as a moral compass, has been eroded. It makes sense, I guess, to those who prefer a society using as it's foundation the concept of no accountability.

jmoho...

Des

No, this is one step closer to common sense. This God nonsense has been nothing more than a political whip for corrupt politicians to crack at each other in the hope of swaying people who vote on non-issues, mistaking the political forum for some kind of religious Bingo game.

Religion is an obstacle to democracy. Deference to a deity over your fellow man is not democratic.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Well I just watched, twice, and I didn't hear the "ayes" have it. If anything it was evenly divided but in my opinion the "no's" had it. After three votes. But at least they didn't completely ignore the dissent, like they did...somewhere else...

This is what third parties are made of.

I don't know.

I still think its a strong message/statement - - - - that God is on the back burner.

And not the focal point.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
There is a nun speaking right now at the DNC so..........clearly God is still in their platform.

She's dissing Ryan because he wants to cut foodstamps because it's un jesus-like.

Sister Simone Campbell, the outspoken Executive Director of NETWORK, A Catholic Social Justice Lobby, and the driving force behind this summer's successful "Nuns on the Bus" campaign, spent a few minutes talking to Welton about the place social justice deserves in the campaign and at the convention, and what it means to her to be addressing the Democratic National Convention on Thursday night.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

jmoho...

Des

I'm responding to an early post because it bothers me - sorry if this was already addressed:

I have an issue with the word "GOD" being used as an automatic synonym for the "creator" or the "deity" or the "life force" or the "moral compass." GOD, to me, is a Christian term, and I don't think I'm alone here. I don't call my deity "GOD." A person can embody morality and faith and belief without calling it GOD. I have faith, and religion, and spirituality. But I do not subscribe to GOD.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

jmoho...

Des

I'm responding to an early post because it bothers me - sorry if this was already addressed:

I have an issue with the word "GOD" being used as an automatic synonym for the "creator" or the "deity" or the "life force" or the "moral compass." GOD, to me, is a Christian term, and I don't think I'm alone here. I don't call my deity "GOD." A person can embody morality and faith and belief without calling it GOD. I have faith, and religion, and spirituality. But I do not subscribe to GOD.

I understand what you are saying. To me God, is just a word that represents that higher power, spirituality , universal oneness. It's easier to convey those feelings with the word God, instead of, oh say...a grunt. God means many things to many people. God, and what it represents was around a lot longer than man and his writings,attempting to pigeon hole God into a narrow definition.

But it is important to remember, that God, and all that the word reflects in people, is based on a very personal concept, and relationship that people have with their God. Many times used as a moral compass in societies. Cultures, have been founded on spirituality/God. God is not just a christian term. To many, it is a moral compass, in that it's the personal checks and balances by which a person makes choices. Good or bad choices.

Remove the checks and balances...chaos reigns. Accountability is no longer accepted as the norm. Very much like where I think, our society is headed now. The fact that a political party so vehemently espoused to imply I have no right to bring my spirituality into every aspect of my life, was ill thought out, on their part. I'm sure it made other people feel as strongly, as it made me feel. It makes me feel that, those people, running for office, are not planning my future with a moral compass on board.

Des

edit on 5-9-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
What would be interesting would be if they put fiscal responsibility into their platform.

It appears (at least to me) that the DNC is acting more divisive than inclusive.

But that's just the norm for them.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by beezzer

Well, for you, everything is apparently black and white, how nice to know such certainty.

A quote from anon.

"Stand up for something, even if it means standing alone. Because often times, the one who flys solo has the strongest wings."

So are you standing or flying?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy

When people are asked direct, simple questions and they get all defensive and start evading the question it's quite clear that they are either A) uncomfortable with the question B) Uncomfortable with the answer C) Both

It sounds like you guys are running around in circles here, so let me help ya out a bit ...

He doesn't agree with the party, so he evades the question so that he will not be put in the position where he may cross the line of party politics.

Now, that wasn't that difficult ... now was it?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
To be clear, the final decision was to put God and Jerusalem back into the platform.

In my opinion, this is a simple strategy to combat the public's general uncertainty on where Obama stands with God, at least on a political level. The way they have cleverly played it looks like this: the DNC sort of "made a mistake" by removing God from the platform, and out of nowhere Obama swoops in to save the day, correct the mistake, and prove to the public his position with God.

Politicians are a tricky species

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join