It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do many states ban the sales of rifles, but

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
allow the sales of pistols? Isnt that backwards? Shouldnt it be the other way around seen as pistols are more likely to be chosen for crime, because they are conceivable, whereas rifles is what is being used to keep the peace and order or to fend off an invasion, or overthrow a tyrannical government?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
And which states ban rifle sales?
edit on 8/8/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Good question....they must be focusing on the relative high power of (centerfire) rifles vs pistols (ie, range of a fired bullet) but you are right a handgun is more easily concealable and thus more apt to be used in the commission of a crime. Can you cite some examples?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

You probably mean "cities" not "states" dont you as I dont know of any state that has banned rifles outright against the Second Amendment. Please post which states have such a ban,

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
allow the sales of pistols? Isnt that backwards? Shouldnt it be the other way around seen as pistols are more likely to be chosen for crime, because they are conceivable, whereas rifles is what is being used to keep the peace and order or to fend off an invasion, or overthrow a tyrannical government?

In the ramp up to the '94 AWB public opinion was shaped with handgun crime stats and statistically if you are going to label any firearm type as a "criminal" type handguns would be the type.

www.fbi.gov...

Handguns were used in 6,009 cases of murder while rifles were used in 358 cases in 2010.

The numbers have always been so lopsided.

So in '94, when handgun paranoia is at its highest, the AWB goes after cosmetic features of rifles such as bayonet lugs, barrel shrouds and adjustable stocks.

Makes sense to me.

If it's one thing government is consistent on it's being inconsistent.

If handguns had such features as bayo lugs and barrel shrouds AWB states like CA, MA, CT, NJ, NY would certainly ban them as they do the rifles but they dont so they cant. Instead they institute capacity restrictions. Just as pointless.

Even today politicians and the gun-ignorant rail against nonsense like "assault rifles" as though rifle use is crime is epidemic. Stupid is as stupid does.
edit on 8-8-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'm not usually one to comment negatively to an OP - but SERIOUSLY where is the list of states that ban rifles? Where is the list of cities that ban rifles. Where is the list of "banned" rifles"? Wher is even one reference? Maybe the OP is referring to the now defunct "assault rifle ban"? I call B.S. or Hoax on this one. Good day.

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
I'm not usually one to comment negatively to an OP - but SERIOUSLY where is the list of states that ban rifles? Where is the list of cities that ban rifles. Where is the list of "banned" rifles"? Wher is even one reference? Maybe the OP is referring to the now defunct "assault rifle ban"? I call B.S. or Hoax on this one. Good day.

ganjoa

I would like to see that list also, but I can tell you it doesn't exist. There are NO states that have a ban on rifles/long arms. There are states with restrictions on rifles and shotguns w/short barrels under 16" and semi-autos. No all out long arms bans though. The OP and thread title is bad information.

top topics

join