It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to formally garrison disputed South China Sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

China to formally garrison disputed South China Sea

www.reuters.com

China's powerful Central Military Commission has approved the formal establishment of a military garrison for the disputed South China Sea, state media said on Sunday, in a move which could further boost tensions in already fractious region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
You just know it's about to hit the fan over there. China has been building it's military up for years to rival ours. That new carrier China launched last summer is unlike any military ship I've seen before. From a christian point of view, I'm eager to see how Russia will respond to it. They seem to have gotten rather chummy with China over the last few years.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Its the south china sea. we have no ownership of that sea its not our territory why are we trying to steal it at the cost of possible war? Fools games if you ask me

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
Its the south china sea. we have no ownership of that sea its not our territory why are we trying to steal it at the cost of possible war? Fools games if you ask me

the ignorance is strong in this one!

How about the Philipines think they have better right to it because it is right off their coast vs hundreds of Km from China??

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

the ignorance is strong in this one!

How about the Philipines think they have better right to it because it is right off their coast vs hundreds of Km from China??

Who do Malaysia think they are? They draw a line in the middle of the ocean which does not connect to any country and expect they have the right to that part of the South sea

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
That new carrier China launched last summer is unlike any military ship I've seen before.

It's a carrier in the sense that it can carry aircraft. There are currently only 12 full deck, nuclear carriers in the world, and 11 are in the US. If I remember correctly those are the only ones that use a catapult launch system. All the small deck carriers, that are used by the other countries, including the Chinese one, use a ski jump system.

But regardless, the Chinese are years away from even starting training flights from their carrier, and a long time away from having a "book" on how to fully utilize it.

As for the whole South China Sea thing, China and Vietnam have actually traded fire in recent years over the Spratley Islands. They are an incredibly mineral rich location, and every country in the region has a claim to them, and is laying claim to them. Dale Brown wrote a book years ago where we got roped into a fight over the islands with China, the Philippines, and some others involved. It looks like it's going to come true the way that things are going now.

edit on 7/22/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I was speaking in regards to the US presence over there. Does it make you feel like you're cool to blindly call people ignorant? If so you should probably get off the internet and go get a life.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

The US involvement in the south china sea dispute is supporting its allies diplomatically, exactly as you would expect a good ally to do, maintaining the right of free passage in international waters, and insisting that copeting claims be settled peacably.

www.cfr.org...

Yes, it makes me feel good to deny ignorance yet again.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Who do Malaysia think they are? They draw a line in the middle of the ocean which does not connect to any country and expect they have the right to that part of the South sea

they probably think they are china!

Of course Malaysia includes a big chunk of Borneo which borders the SCS - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Probably doing this before the 2020 planed date for the US to greatly increase its present in the Pacific .

Might as well grab it now ?

I am guessing this move will also be good for US arms sales to the Philippines ?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Certainly - an increased US presence in the Pacific that is able to resist any overt military grab by the PRC will make it much harder for them to simply "shoot it out" with the less powerful local states that have better claims but cannot resist the PRC's military might.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I was speaking in regards to the US presence over there. Does it make you feel like you're cool to blindly call people ignorant? If so you should probably get off the internet and go get a life.

Now now, sour grapes, if the USA wasn't in the waters the seas would be a rough place for sure. Also consider we're there for the purpose of Taiwan and the Philippians as they are both partners economically and we sell em stuff like planes and guns...so the US does have an interest there as far as trade treaties go.

If there was nothing there that we wanted or sold to we would not be there. That and piracy still exists in that part of the world. The US keeps the crooks in check, If I was in distress in the middle of the ocean I'd rather see a Navy ship than a pirate one.

All this really is? China trying to reestablish old boundaries when their country was more of a dynasty to include Taiwan.

You should read up on Asian history and then you will understand China's motives for doing such. But the US has just as much right to be there than anyone else considering.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
That new carrier China launched last summer is unlike any military ship I've seen before.

Oh, behave. The Varyag (don't know what the Chinese call it) is an almost 30 year old ex-soviet carrier that the Chinese have given a lick of paint and some more modern systems put inside. You make it sound like it is some sort of uber-weapon, it ain't.

The Chinese are years away from fielding a carrier of the same size and scale as the worlds number 1 carrier operator, the USN. Even France or the UK outdo the Chinese on the carrier front. Let's also not forget they don't know how to use them, how to protect them and, generally speaking, are years behind any Western nation in terms of tech.

Their singular, ancient carrier wouldn't last 5 minutes if they put it to Sea in anger. It is purely in the PLAN (Chinese Navy) as a learning ship for years down the line, when in maybe the mid 2020's they will finally build their own, by which time they will be largely useless anyway as modern Navies switch to UCAV's and smaller (and cheaper) launch craft.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
imageshack.us...
think thats how you imbed....but for any one that was interested here is a list of all the worlds carriers with scale model representations so you can see the differences between nato carriers and china russia respectively

www.globalasia.org...&_Toshi_Yoshihara.html relevant info and explnation of naval strength
edit on 22-7-2012 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Tis a bit out of date, as HMS Ark Royal and HMS Invincible have been decommissioned and RFA Argus isn't really a carrier, plus HMS Ocean and Illustrious are helo carriers with Illustrious being decommissioned in 2014, but it is an interesting picture none the less.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
according to this site.

globalfirepower.com/

which compares total military strength, excluding nuclear capability.
you can click on each country's flag and see it's assets and ratings.
and under the header you can click the compare countries button and see a side by side.
and other than manpower, you can see that the U.S. has china fairly well beat in equipment.
here is just one of the views you can see from the site

Total Navy Ship Strength by Country

pretty neat site.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

That presentation is deceptive if you do not include that China claims the islands that would come with the territorial claim over the sea area that you point as being far from shore...

In any case the USA should keep its fingers out of that pie. I wouldn't mind the USA selling arms to Vietnam or the Philippines (especially the Philippines) but coming out of the blue yonder and attempt to put China in check is just acting attempting to act like a cop that no one has elected to the job. No nation acts on other motivation than self interest. It is plain what the interest of the US is here...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

The only "dog" that the US has in this fight is to have an oil company mapping the deposits at the request of several of the countries involved. They have had no military involvement of any kind in this battle.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panic2k11

That presentation is deceptive if you do not include that China claims the islands that would come with the territorial claim over the sea area that you point as being far from shore...

huh??

In any case the USA should keep its fingers out of that pie. I wouldn't mind the USA selling arms to Vietnam or the Philippines (especially the Philippines) but coming out of the blue yonder and attempt to put China in check is just acting attempting to act like a cop that no one has elected to the job. No nation acts on other motivation than self interest. It is plain what the interest of the US is here...

1/ the US is not coming in "out of het blue"
2/ yes it is - as it is for China and everyone esle. so what?

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They have a strategic interest in keeping China contained. They have an historic obligation to help the Philippines.
There are many "dogs" on this fight. Access to the resources is just one of them...

Have you seen how the US diplomatic channels have responded to the huge expansion China has been having in Africa. One thing that seems strange to me is that they attempt to contain China on one hand (spending even large sums of money) on the other hand the technological advances China has been making have in great part been fostered by the US. Even the premature and damaging to the previous model of the world economy entry of China in the WTO (they rarely play by the same rules, and have a social and ecological advantage no one can face in the West, even India can't match it). The expansion of China also extends to sea ports control (I'm still waiting to see what that one will lead to, strategically it is a nightmare. If I was China I had at least some great plans to leverage that, being China as it is I guarantee that they have even supplanted my wildest plans).

It is an amazing thing to see, how long term China plans its moves, and what they have learned and how they play the game now that they are a player.

edit on 22-7-2012 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join