It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell On Earth - Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
A VERY BIG fire is going on right now at Funchal outskirts (main city of Madeira Island - Portugal)

Looks like hell on Earth !

Several houses have already been destructed by the flames, explosions heard and population is in panic.

Catastrophy has been declared by the local authorities.

More pictures HERE
edit on 19-7-2012 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Amazing!
Do you have an more informational data?Is this the work of arson?lightning?super dry conditions what?
Has tere been any casualties ?How arge is the blaze?
All this and more pops into mind.....i hope they have the means to bring this under control soon.......how much of the whole island is ablaze?.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Well the fire is still out of control. People are told to leave their houses. An old school has been destroyed as other buildings and businesses as well.

People are heading to the airport runing from the flames but there is a lot of smoke in the air so flights might be canceled at any time

Here are some videos:

edit on 19-7-2012 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I just want to bump your thread because these fires are no joke! This fire looks eerily similar to the fire in Colorado Springs that was out of control just a few weeks ago, and it has given me a whole new respect for wildfires. Keep up with the wind directions/speed and get out (obviously) if it comes your way, stay safe!

Edit: If you can, close your windows at night and use AC! (No AC here, so I had to either cook or deal with the smoke.. I chose the second option :/)
edit on 19-7-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Talk about a nightmare.

I could only imagine waking up to something like that.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Very scary stuff. I hope they get this under control and everyone is safe!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That's frightening! Obvious not good for the locals but I guess a lot of holidaymakers will be worried too, wishing they stayed in cold, damp Britain .....

Been a lot of bad fires around the world this summer - maybe us in Britain and NW Europe are luckier than we realise? Floods are very bad. But I'd rather them than a wildfire any day.

Thanks for starting the thread

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
That's bad and I hope they get it under control and that people don't get killed. That said I have to ask myself of the effects of all these wild fire around the globe, burning up oxygen from the atmosphere, burning the vegetation and plant life that regenerates our oxygen supply with the final kicker of the smoke going into the atmosphere.

Not Good, Not good at all...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If no one dies its gorgeous, if they did well then it all comes down to natural selection.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

That's a rather cold and callous attitude to adopt. If a wildfire sweeps through your house destroying everying you own it's gorgeous. And if you're unable to get out in time and die horribly, it's natural selection ..... ????

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

Second.

Natural selection applies to biological traits and the degree of their commonality through reproduction, not growing a thick asbestos skin.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Those fires look scary. As stated hell on earth.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
That's frightening! Obvious not good for the locals but I guess a lot of holidaymakers will be worried too, wishing they stayed in cold, damp Britain .....

Been a lot of bad fires around the world this summer - maybe us in Britain and NW Europe are luckier than we realise? Floods are very bad. But I'd rather them than a wildfire any day.

Thanks for starting the thread

Yes, I have a friend there at the moment, he's not the type to stay in communication, which leaves you to wonder a bit.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I can't believe another fire! Looks like the Colorado fires. I hope they get this under control quickly. Look at all those homes right in its path. I hope everyone gets to safety quickly.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wow! I hope the fires are put out immediately and nothing more gets destroyed. Portugal definitely doesn't need this right now. CR7 should donate some money. Don't they have a statue of him in the city anyway?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
If no one dies its gorgeous, if they did well then it all comes down to natural selection.

Natural selection is not the same as truly terrible luck.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Doesn't the Bible talk about this some where.. Maybe Revelations..?

"Earthquakes, Fires, Tsunamis, War, WAR WITH SYRYA" .... Ya, end is near! Not too near I hope (o.0)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SickeningTruths

All the way down at the 17th post, somebody whips out the biblical prophecy. Maybe theres some hope for humanity yet.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Can I question on how in the world did this fire start?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kapkalna

I sure hope everyone gets out safely, how sad. I can't imagine having to live through that.

Not a biblical reference, but with everything going on in the middle east, wouldn't an island off Portugal be a strategic plot of land into the Mediterranean Sea? I sure hope this wasn't intentionally set so that some country couldn't base a landing strip there. Just wondering.

God bless everyone there and to their safety.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join