It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
What if this life we live is just that, here for the blink of an eye and then gone? What if what we do in this life bears no meaning and doesn't make a difference after we are gone? what if there is no evil and no good? as a human race could we handle it if we found out that there was no purpose, no test, no before and no after? What would happen to us if we found out that we are completely insignificant? Is it possible that we would be put here for no reason, would you be angry if you found out you were?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

IF life has no point...

Then it doesn't matter...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
What if this life we live is just that, here for the blink of an eye and then gone? What if what we do in this life bears no meaning and doesn't make a difference after we are gone? what if there is no evil and no good? as a human race could we handle it if we found out that there was no purpose, no test, no before and no after? What would happen to us if we found out that we are completely insignificant? Is it possible that we would be put here for no reason, would you be angry if you found out you were?

Not sure how you would find out that we were put here for no reason, but there's a whole school of philosophy for those who do and don't take it very well: Existential Nihilism

Good luck with that.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

What would happen to us if we found out that we are completely insignificant?

We would not be worth the trouble of being given that information by an "important" authority so would naturally never believe that this idea could be true, that we were insignificant.

ETA: from adjensen

Not sure how you would find out that we were put here for no reason . . .

That is basically the same idea I was trying to put across but you got yours in while I was writing my version.
edit on 10-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It has just dawned on me that this struggle is meaningless and nothing is to come of it. I feel empty.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Then don't struggle with it... just accept it...

Life has meaning my friend... you just need to open your eyes

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Nothing in nature is without reason, and nothing is wasted. As for our importance:

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan

When you look at it: life is not "here for the blink of an eye," because it is an ongoing thing. It never ends. People seeking an end won't find one, and people seeking a beginning won't find one. It always was and always will be.

So... even if everything I said were wrong, and we're here for no reason whatsoever, I still wouldn't be angry at all. Besides, it'd be a complete waste to be mad, because nothing matters.
But don't you think it's amazing to be? You can ask and you can ponder. You can discover or you can bury your head away. You can believe whatever you want or be forced to believe something.

Find what agrees with your very being, that something that resonates within you, and you'll know life. Nihilism is boring. I'd rather be a bad guy than nothing at all. At least then I'd serve as the contrast of life, so that that people would understand the gravity of what it means to be "good." You see, even that is better than "nothing," but even nothing is something.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There is no meaning, there is no before life, there is no after life, there is no test and there is no absolute goal. Life is empty and I wish that I was never given it and that somebody else could have taken it instead.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

It has just dawned on me that this struggle is meaningless and nothing is to come of it. I feel empty.

I think that if you spend some time thinking it through, you will see that there is meaning in life, though sometimes it is difficult to see. Walk in a garden, watch kids at a playground, listen to a symphony... beauty and meaning is all around us. If you truly can find no hope and only emptiness, I would strongly urge you to talk to someone, a friend, spiritual advisor, or a psychiatric professional.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Who's to say that we can't make a point of life? Who's to say that we can't give it our own meaning? Just because we might not have been put here for a reason, doesn't mean we can't come up with one.

Your life is what you make of it. If you choose to let it be meaningless, that's your problem.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

what if there is no evil and no good? as a human race could we handle it if we found out that there was no purpose, no test, no before and no after? What would happen to us if we found out that we are completely insignificant? Is it possible that we would be put here for no reason, would you be angry if you found out you were?

I don't think you were "put here".
You are here, and there is a reason for it, you put yourself in this universe, or rather whatever existed before the universe that you came from. You just can't remember because you did not yet exist in the form that you are in now.
edit on 10-7-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I would say a temporary solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

How is that?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

This is something I've found myself thinking about lately. Being raised in a pentecostal preachers home the magnitude of this question rings loud with me. As I've come to live differently than I was brought in my adult life I sometimes think about the reprocussions that should follow my actions according to how I was raised, and then also about the fact that even though it is engrained so deep inside me I still go about my life the way I have found is best. Then I ask myself what I really believe, and I've heard so much and seen so much that I'm not sure I even know anymore.

What I think is that organized religion is nothing but a mix of social groups containing like minded people. Nothing necesarrily wrong with it until they get wrapped up in their own bs and destroy each other emotionally from the inside out.

God - Our Creator - Jesus - WHATEVER "IT" IS - is in my opinion much bigger than any box religion or people can put him into. I might be a complete nut or brainwashed because of my upbringing, but I swear I still feel SOMETHING. Thing about it is I feel it at times and in places that would make every christian I know cringe.

So yeah. That's my two cents.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

IF you don't "believe" life exists after the body dies... it doesn't matter...

Some things are true regardless of "belief"

Suicide only garentees your return... likely in a worse position then you left...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by stonedogdiary

Hehe...times and places to be ashamed of... *nods knowingly*

But in all seriousness, I know what you mean. It's very difficult to know exactly what the Source is..."source" is actually the closest I myself can come to beginning to describe it. And you will feel it in those times when you are inspired by something positive. That's what it is...positivity. But for positive to thrive, you must have negative as well.

If you can grasp this, you are well on your way to understanding the consciousness behind our universe.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

. . . and that somebody else could have taken it instead.

I would say "No" to this idea, that somehow there are limited "lives" and you having one is somehow denying someone else having one.
We are in some way responsible for there being a universe and it may have a mind as a living organism but it does not care about you having or not having an afterlife. What you have to keep in mind is who created that physical thing, the universe and that mind, the one who wants to see good things eventually for everyone.
At the end of the day, no matter how heartless the material universe is, it beats the alternative, which is the void, the one we desired to greatly to get out of that we decided to make this beast to live in, regardless of hardships involved in the impossibility of making a perfect material world.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

There is no meaning, there is no before life, there is no after life, there is no test and there is no absolute goal. Life is empty and I wish that I was never given it and that somebody else could have taken it instead.

You must be dealing with some pretty rough sh!t right now
Believe me brother, we've all been there. I've had a friend die in my arms, my little brother was shot 5 times in his face by his best friend, I was held at gunpoint and pissed on while a woman was being raped in the bathroom, and I could go on and on.... I'm sure many people here could as well.

For some people, the worst thing they ever experience in life is being dumped by their high school sweetheart, and I used to envy these people. But what life has taught me is that pain is pain no matter how you serve it up, and everything happens for a reason. The girl who lost her boyfriend cried just as hard as I did when I lost my brother. Life isn't a test my friend, it is a conditioning. The suffering is just as necessary as the joy, otherwise how would you know the difference?

I've managed to survive in this world because of one simple principle that I learned at an early age...
Find the good in everything.

I know this is easier said than done, but I promise you the good is there, and it will comfort you. Keep your head up!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

I would say a temporary solution to a problem that doesn't exist...

I would say that, to a despondent person, assuring them that their problems are real, but temporary, is likely more supportive than telling them that their problems are imaginary.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
We are just a smart animal – that is all that we are & we are completely insignificant.

The meaning of life for all animals (lifeforms) is to live and then reproduce.

However, we have an added bonus of being smart enough to realise to make the most of our life while we live it.

Because after our life is over, there is nothing more…… and life is short.

Unless you have a child, which is partly made from your DNA - they carry who you were and if you’re a good parent, they will remember you and will pass that down to their children – so on and so forth. That's the only way you can 'live forever'.....

I’m not angry that we have been put here to live, learn, love and reproduce before we die – why would you be?

Mickierocksman

<<   2  3 >>

join