It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Icelandic Revolution Has Paid Off

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
With half of Iceland's debt paid ,the country is now recovering from the depression.

After the successful overthrow of government in 2009 and the subsequent popular
votes on parameters of debt payments ,Landsbanki has used its assets to pay
off about half of the Icesave debt. The government has also repaid its assistance
from the IMF by half. Thanks to the President of the Icelandic nation ,the people
were able to vote no on preposterous parameters which would have otherwise
enslaved the nation in debt. More than one vote was held until reasonable deals
were reached ,enabling the nations debt to be reduced now by half of its amount already.

The Icelandic Government refunded the amount over 60 billion to the IMF on Friday. According to a report from the Fund.

Source Link - Ruv.is (Translated)
Source link - Ruv.is

Source Link - Visir.is (Translated)
Source Link - Visir.is

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

Well done Iceland-I know you got scammed by my government/banks (UK)a while back.
Good job digging your way out of a hole that was never you fault to start with.

And was it Iceland who recently cancelled the peoples mortgage debts?
A brave decision at the time.
But it has worked.

I wish our mortgage debts got cancelled...

Well played Iceland I say.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Good job Iceland! Now get back to work!!!

That is, making complete awesome offroad toys.....

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I was there when the revolution was taking place ,it was very loud and in the end ,
the government had no choice but to step down as they could hardly do their job.

[color=palegreen]January 19th 2009 ;

reply to post by Silcone Synapse

And was it Iceland who recently cancelled the peoples mortgage debts?

Yes they did. I've also seen numerous news of foreclosures being cancelled ,
both because of a specialized homeowner guard made up of citizens and
also later on as a result of the verdicts from court cases. You can look it up.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The tiny beat the mighty

Well done Iceland.

Can the rest of us do it?

Why not?

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Iceland is the most free country on the planet right now.

They are the only ones who kicked out the international banks. Claimed the debt odious, forgave the mortage debt on the basis that the banks who gave them out were being fraudulent.

All these things in Iceland, from their referendum democracy to the various rule changes going on, are going to change the world.

We need to start exporting Icelandic politics to our nations.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is hope to me. I don't know. I would move there to just live with people like that. Titans. nothing less.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Iceland...a nation of heroes. That is what happens when you love your country more than you love power and money.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

i think im gonna look into moving to iceland.

wonder how hard it is to remain there and become a citizen, considering the rest of the world hates americans

i wish the US did the same

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wow bravo and kudos to Iceland now hopefully the rest of us out here in the void can do the same. Now I'm just wondering does anyone have a link to one of the main media sources and what they are saying about all of this
? Tried searching but found nothing really and am quite curious as to what they might say about this whole ordeal.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Something does not feel right here as Iceland is a very small country with a population of about 320 000 people. We have country towns bigger than that here in Australia. Why does such a small nation need so much money $60 Billion paid off and that is only half? How are they generating so much cash and why such a large debt? This debt that has been paid is about $180 000 per person. Anyone else think there is something wrong with these numbers?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
Something does not feel right here as Iceland is a very small country with a population of about 320 000 people. We have country towns bigger than that here in Australia. Why does such a small nation need so much money $60 Billion paid off and that is only half? How are they generating so much cash and why such a large debt? This debt that has been paid is about $180 000 per person. Anyone else think there is something wrong with these numbers?

That would be because the IMF and international banks are a bunch of crooks and want small nations to be in perpetual debt that they cannot repay, so that those banks can make outrageous demands of those nations in order to not foreclose on their debt or default.

Trust me, Iceland is doing exactly what any nation who wants to be free of the globalist's boot on their neck need to do.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by soon2beaher

i think im gonna look into moving to iceland.

wonder how hard it is to remain there and become a citizen, considering the rest of the world hates americans

i wish the US did the same

It varies ,depending on how determined you are to move to Iceland.
Staying and taking a stand would be the better option ,for which you could
potentially limit the "hate" for Americans by taking positive action and limit
the overgrown corporate and corrupt political status quo that has oppressed
this world for so long. It will be very exciting to see the Americans rise again.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

That would be because the IMF and international banks are a bunch of crooks and want small nations to be in perpetual debt that they cannot repay, so that those banks can make outrageous demands of those nations in order to not foreclose on their debt or default.

Trust me, Iceland is doing exactly what any nation who wants to be free of the globalist's boot on their neck need to do.

~Tenth

That's exactly it. Even if the fraudsters weren't directly related to the bunch of crooks ,
then they'd certainly be acting out on a "Monkey see ,monkey do" principle.

Some of the "higher ups" here certainly had a way with manipulating the
system to get their will done ,like gaining certain positions ,perpetrating fraud
and placing their closest friends in the more important positions around them.

Luckily most of the public here is very well aware and keeps tabs on these things.
edit on 23/6/2012 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to fix

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

It seems that the information circling around about Iceland is not quite true, below is written from an Icelander;

You my friends have been misinformed.

I live in Iceland born and raised, and i was there the whole time of the so called “revolution”. let me inform you of some facts from one who is local and has studied economics and is informed of what is going on and has been in touch with the members of parliament and the locals.

There is no news from iceland because there is nothing to tell about, except that the EU joined the ESA in a legal proceedings case against Iceland in the Icesave case and the icelanders are considering to stop the proceeding to join the EU. But to the facts.

Only one primary bank was nationalized, the other primary banks are in holds of leverage traders, it was not decided not to pay the debt it was decided not to pay the debt in full. Now with the sale of some assets from the former private bank Landsbankinn they have gained enough cash to pay back the senior debt of Icesave in full the case against the Icesave is about the the rest of the debt and the interests. You can get clearer picture on this by watching the President of Iceland talk about icesave here. www.youtube.com...

The currency of Iceland did devaluate and the people are paying for it, the local companies that are selling of the national resources for example fish are taking control also those who own the banks now have gained over 40% of all private owned houses because of the devaluation of the local currency.

The stock market did not stop.

There was a new election, there were two parties who governed and one of those are still in power while the one who had to resign are getting near 40% votes according to todays poll.

There has been no arrest on high level bankers or executives. Interpol have never dictated an order to make the implicated parties leave the country. Interpol has no authority in Iceland.

The was a assembly to elect to rewrite a new Constitution but it was decreed unlawful by the supreme court that the assembly was conducted illegally and it is in stasis of today.

So in summary of the Icelandic “revolution”:- There were resignation but the other half stayed in power
only some banks were nationalized
there is no referendum for the people to decide over the economic decisions.
there has been no incarceration of responsible parties
the rewriting of the constitution is in stasis.what has happened is that Iceland is in stasis right now.the current currency has defaulted and the people who had any money do not have it right now. The banks and the government have taken most of it.
The party that had to resign after the crisis will get near majority of votes next year.
Those who live here in iceland who has any education are starting to flee for better jobs in Norway.
With much love

www.youtube.com...

s6.zetaboards.com.......post
by allegience to truth, 2 or 3 posts down.

It is so difficult to know what to believe these days...
The way it is designed, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Iceland is the most free country on the planet right now.

They are the only ones who kicked out the international banks. Claimed the debt odious, forgave the mortage debt on the basis that the banks who gave them out were being fraudulent.

All these things in Iceland, from their referendum democracy to the various rule changes going on, are going to change the world.

We need to start exporting Icelandic politics to our nations.

~Tenth

star
not much more to say other than i agree

xploder

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OutonaLimb

There is no news from iceland because there is nothing to tell about

Wrong. I just told you some news. Did you read through the thread?

I posted links to two of the main Icelandic news feeds in my first post of this thread.

The currency of Iceland did devaluate and the people are paying for it, the local companies that are selling of the national resources for example fish are taking control also those who own the banks now have gained over 40% of all private owned houses because of the devaluation of the local currency.

This is true ,but things are getting better ,in part due to the news I shared here today.

The stock market did not stop.

Also true but most of the population don't put much stock into that.

There has been no arrest on high level bankers or executives. Interpol have never dictated an order to make the implicated parties leave the country. Interpol has no authority in Iceland.

This is blatant disinformation or old news. Bankers have been interrogated and incarcerated.

The was a assembly to elect to rewrite a new Constitution but it was decreed unlawful by the supreme court that the assembly was conducted illegally and it is in stasis of today.

This is also true to an extent at least. Basically the truth of this matter is ,
that these proceedings were orchestrated very poorly. It might be redone.
I'm not exactly sure what the status is on that matter as of right now.

For further information refer to these links ;

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Tell me then why the Icelanders are hell bent on throwing it all away by joining the Euro for goodness sake.

Here are we all trying desperately to get away and the Icelandic people who are so much better off now are hell bent on committing economic suicide. Why?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Until now things have been really tough ,mainly because of the economic collapse of '08.

I watched the isk plummet below the Japanese yen. Lots of people lost hope in ever
making the currency worth something proper again. So they looked outward instead
of dealing with the issue at hand. It didn't help that the Social Democrats here were
hell bent on joining the EU no matter what went on. It was like some sort of dementia.
It was very clear from the start what their agenda was. Then some people started to
believe the propaganda they spun up and eventually most people were like ;
"Hey now we need some other currency" and naturally the Social Democrats kept
waving the Euro as the main replacement currency.

But most people here are not at all interested in joining the EU so its out of the question.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Tell me then why the Icelanders are hell bent on throwing it all away by joining the Euro for goodness sake.

Here are we all trying desperately to get away and the Icelandic people who are so much better off now are hell bent on committing economic suicide. Why?

A most pertinent question and I see from your avatar area that you are from Ireland. I remember hearing a statistic about Irish citizens, possibly back in the early days of the euro. I was like

The average Irish citizen had something like 80,000 euros as cash or property or other assets, a figure way higher than any other EU country, sometimes as much as double or triple. 10 years or less down the line I am hearing that the houses there have lost something like two thirds of their value. Obviously for the owners paying a mortgage based on the old market value that's not a good deal any more and quite possibly a statement about the economy there in general now.

Do you, like me, see the euro currency as the largest contributor to this corrupt financial mess the banks have created in the European countries that took part in it?
edit on 23/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Id move to iceland if they were allowed to have the meansto defend themselves over there. Im sick of the bank here in the usa

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join