It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland speeding ahead on its bid to join the EU. WHY???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Despite all the wonderful reports and various stories to come out of Iceland, credited or not, this move here really confuses me and makes me question all I have heard. Why would a country that the People have reportedly sacked their government, kicked out foreign banks, and wrote a new Constitution by the people speed ahead to join a very questionable union? Seriously, help me out fellow members. This makes no sense to me, what am I missing?

New York Times: Iceland Plans to Join European Bloc Despite Economic Turmoil

Bloomberg News: Iceland to Advance in EU Bid, Open Transport, Financial Areas:

Public Service Europe: Iceland takes 'significant step' on road to EU membership

Anyone got a good reason why this is the agenda?
edit on 23-6-2012 by Novaroc because: title change

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Blimey! That is rather strange.

I would've thought people would be running far far away from the Euro but here another one wants to join ...

There's gotta be some vicious thinking behind this, surely ... Something we don't know and will never know ... Here I was thinking the Euro may just end up breaking up but ... Oh well, strange things always happen these days ...
edit on 23/6/12 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
US puppets.

Why would Australia risk its future by allowing the US to use Australia as a home for its military shift to the pacific? because our leaders are puppets.

This whole thing is about maintaining the top spot in the world for the US and its many puppets.

The BRICS are coming. NAM is coming. They know it. The US is like a person that is drowning and they are panicing and pushing their rescuers under the water and drowning them. The US is the problem, not Europe. We need to strip the US of the reserve status and allow Europe to declare as bankrupt. The east is the future.Not europe. Not America.

Also, the whole Iceland thing has been highly exaggerated as far as I can tell.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

This has nothing to do with America, so troll elsewhere. As far asiceland, I'm shocked to hear they want in on the euro myself.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
reply to post by Germanicus

This has nothing to do with America, so troll elsewhere. As far asiceland, I'm shocked to hear they want in on the euro myself.

That is your opinion, so personal attack elsewhere.

This is about the US retaining the reserve status. That is what the whole europe thing is about.

Who throws in the most to the IMF? Who? I am sure you dont know. The US of course. Who is trying to destroy Europe? The IMF/US.

Just because you are ignorant does not mean I am a troll. So do not attack me.

edit- actaully, I remember I had to report you before. Please refrain from personal attacks. It is also against the rules to make constant personal attacks on a particular member. Please deal with your problems on your own. Do not take them out on me.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The current Icelandic government still has one of the political parties in it which
was in the active position of government here before the financial collapse.

This particular party has been actively pursuing their goal of making Iceland
a member of the EU ,no matter what might be going on here or in the EU.

Most Icelanders are actually very much against joining the EU right now ,
especially in light of the quarrels with some of the member states in it
over Icesave and more recently the fishing dispute over the Atlantic mackerel ,
in addition with what has transpired within the EU (like the financial meltdown).

Some go so far as to say that the Social Democrats are guilty of treasonous acts ,
letting Icelanders stay out in the cold while pursuing the unfair Icesave measures
and EU membership entry goals. It may have done more harm than good ,being
the only party that was in active government before and after the 2008 collapse.

In addition to this ,Johanna Sigurdardottir recently broke a law she herself wrote ,
which had to do with assigning offices to only properly honest & suitable personnel.

Latest news source link

Source Link - 2009 Elections Information - Check the background.
edit on 23/6/2012 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to fix

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

Thanks for the info. I got more out of your reply than an hour or so on the net, from an Icelander on top of it. I would like to ask you more about the situation if you don't mind. Private message or so as not to stray off topic if that's ok?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Novaroc

That's fine by me.

I've been following this whole thing very closely so if anyone has any more questions ,
feel free to ask. There is a lot to this which hasn't been discussed at length yet.

Like with the President of the Icelandic nation stepping in when the government
was making the Icesave parameters. That made a whole lot of a difference ,
because the president put the bill each time under a public vote.

Here's one vital piece of info ;

The Icelandic population will have to vote on whether or not to enter the EU.

That is absolutely key ,because most Icelanders are very much against it.
edit on 23/6/2012 by Mystic Technician because: Edit to fix

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

Either way the Icelandic people vote, at least it will be a choice for them to make for themselves. We should have more governments like that.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovarocAnyone got a good reason why this is the agenda?

If you play hardball with banksters you need someone else to pay your bills for you...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Novaroc

Yes, I am scratching my head over this one too. This deserves more flags because Iceland have been an enigma throughout this financial crisis and now they seem to just be falling back inline with the old ways!?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I agree. I find it way odd that any Nation would be pushing for membership in light of the unstable position the EU is in. However Mystic Technician gave a good bit of reason. Still...

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

I would've thought people would be running far far away from the Euro but here another one wants to join ...

Judging by the headlines it's just the EU, not the Euro, that is in view. EU doesn't equal Euro.

new topics

top topics

join