It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism to Defeat Religion By 2038

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What is the definition of God ?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
A short explaination fo the title - I originally posted this to a "breaking news" forum where teh rules are you have to copy the original headline. A mod then moved it here.

If I had posted it here originally I would have titled it something along the lines of "Atheists expected to outnumber theists by 2038"

Personaly I do not see atheism as "defeating" anyone - atheism is not an entity, nor a monolithis bloc of any kind. It has no organisation, not "central office", no dogma (other than the definition), etc.

Therefore it is, IMO, incapable of "defeating" anyone or anything & I think the original headline is needlessly provocative.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by iIuminaIi
What is the definition of God ?

That depends on who you ask.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Annee

Lol, yes, I'm very familiar with what he said. Atheist s a position that's intellectually dishonest to hold author t the attributes of God Himself. Agnostic is infinitely easier a position to defend.

Uh huh.

Yes - - I'm fully aware of your "selective" quoting.

So should I quote his entire speech? There is only a 5000 character limit..

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
But it only takes 1 simple bit of evidence to believe in God and the attributes of God Himself to have faith in the negative position... that's the monumental difference.

Says you.

But you are not being honest.

You say a theist can believe god exists based on 1 piece of evidence, but you deny an atheist the ability to believe that god does not exist based upon lack of evidence.

In fact what you say requires the atttributes of god is KNOWLEDGE that does not exist - not belief.

I'm pretty sure being dishonest in this manner is considered a sin - so perhaps you should seek forgiveness and enlightenment!!

edit on 11-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

That's because absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. (Carl Sagan) It's not that God cannot be found, it's that He does not want to be found with minimal amount of effort. He rewards all those who diligently seek Him.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Right - so not only is he all those things that Epicurus said he was, he's also playing hide and seek with us.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Neither, another straw man.

edit on 12-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I don't know that I believe Atheism will ever take over God believers - - unless real off-planet beings arrive and give us the full history of how they created and evolved this planet and its inhabitants.

I do believe Personal Spirituality will diminish organized religions.

What I would like to see is interactive living spiritual centers - - set up kind of like the interactive museums - - similar to the natural history museum.

I would like to see every religious belief represented - - no matter how small. With outdoor/indoor nature settings for all the earth beliefs. With seating areas and/or rugs to kneel on. And displays/writings of each one's history and belief.

An Atheist/Philosophy area should also be included. And speaking areas. Not for preaching - - - as I would like to eliminate "man" telling people what to believe.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I went on a many year quest to make it fit - - to find proof of the Jesus story. There isn't any. The real historical facts don't match up with the myth.

So Yes! I do know there is something beyond what we know as the physical world. But - what is it?

For me science makes sense. Energy evolved into consciousness makes sense. The Creator a natural phenomenon of evolution which began with already existing natural elements.

The label God is man made - - also tainted and corrupted by man. It is a label I will not recognize.

So - there you have it. "God" would actually corrupt my original experiences - - that came before mortal man's intrusion.

Science makes sense for you, but the idea that people can lack a belief in God after they've been exposed to the idea makes no sense. I'm not sure why you contend that people can have a non-position, sometimes I feel like you're just egging me on. Even if you admit that you "believe that God doesn't exist", you're still an atheist. If you want to be an atheist, consider yourself what it actually means to be one.

If you don't recognize the God label, you are guilty of willful ignorance, because the label exists.

I feel like all this is your emotional response to a something that corrupted a part of your world-view. It just about has to be because it doesn't make sense. But beliefs don't have to make sense, but what doesn't makes sense in your case is that you even deny that your lack of a belief isn't a belief itself. And even if you did, it's redundant.

"I believe that I believe that I believe that I believe"

It's what it would sound like.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

What straw man - you are hte one said god can be found if we look hard enough - how is that not hide and seek??

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

What straw man - you are hte one said god can be found if we look hard enough - how is that not hide and seek??

I never said God was "playing hide and seek". When you attribute to someone else statements they didnt say that you yourself invent thats a "straw man".

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

And I didn't say you said god was playing hide and seek - sheesh!

Clearly what I said was my own comment in response to you saying "He does not want to be found with minimal amount of effort. He rewards all those who diligently seek Him. "

now, like I said - in what way is that not hide and seek?

Perhaps you should stop trying to hide (sic) behind weasel word adhominem attacks and see if you can actually answer the question!!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I haven't attacked you. And I already gave the reaaon why God wants to be found by seekers. And I didn't say it was "hard" to find Him, I said one needs to DILIGENTLY seek Him, meaning He doesnt want to be found by people who give up easily.

I'm just going to have a conversation with myself I think.

edit on 12-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

And I didn't say you said god was playing hide and seek - sheesh!

Clearly what I said was my own comment in response to you saying "He does not want to be found with minimal amount of effort. He rewards all those who diligently seek Him. "

now, like I said - in what way is that not hide and seek?

Perhaps you should stop trying to hide (sic) behind weasel word adhominem attacks and see if you can actually answer the question!!

Book of Ephesians. God does hide from those He hasnt called.
Book of Romans, God hardens some peoples hearts so they dont conform.
If you are not on the list then God wont reveal Jesus to you.

Its not hide and seek, its You are not welcome.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Really - so god does not actually welcome anyone with open arms at all - he actively seeks to hide from some people?

Gotta say that's a new twist on me - but hey - if it's true (and let's face it you don't actually know - you are just guessing) then god & I have a common aim!!

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
No the sharpest knife in the draw are you???
I gave you some bible verses to back up my statement, and its not my statement, its written in the bible.
So go get an edge and read what the Christian instruction book states instead of making assumptions based on what you want to believe.

You know why Jesus spoke in parables...what NO. Course you dont because you dont know anything, your a follower.
Why not search.... Why Jesus spoke in parables .... You might have to use your own brain and from here that is not going to help you much.

edit on 13-6-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

bible verses to back up your statement??? Really??
oh so predictable using the bible to prove god exists because it is the word of god.

Perhaps I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer...but at least I recognise a circle when I see one!!

And as for following - well I did almost 20 years of that in the RCC, pentecostal and charismatic movements. then I stopped - so yeah - I have done plenty of following but now I prefer to think for myself and reach justifiable conclusions.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
EnochwasRight has tried despite your indifference to what he's telling you. But it's moot anyway because regardless of your beliefs, or lack of beliefs, it will still come to pass. You are unbending in your stand. Well at the least, you are consistent. Which will be your undoing. It doesn't matter that you won't believe in God, and it does not matter if you disregard the Word of God, it's not going to have any affect on the final outcome..... or Judgment. It will happen and you will participate regardless of your beliefs. It's a dire path you choose to be your direction in life. Life is fleeting and it is your only chance to get it right. It will determine your place in eternity. And after you have deceived others as well....... It would be better that you were never born. But as long as you have breath, the choice is yet available to you. It's complex for scoffers, yet so simple for believers, may you enjoy and make the best of this life......... just a little curiosity....... remember the last thing Steve Jobs said? Look it up...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Plotus

Who says I won't believe in god?

My view is not unbending - if there is good evidence for the existence of god I will happily believe in it.

That is called ratinoalism - having rational reasons to beleive things - including god if appropriate.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by HumanCondition

Well its ok for you to believe it but don't tell others its true when you know its just a fairy tale.

Fairy tales do not come true. What was prophecied in the bible 2500-3000 years ago is coming to pass today. The tombs of the apostles are being discovered. Mt Sinai and Mt. Horeb have been discovered with archaological proof what was written of did happen. The only delusion is the one you're under that was also prophecied of and no matter how hard we try to warn you people you won't believe, this too was also prophecied to happen.

Enjoy your denial.
Rightttt.......

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join