It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Comics' Green Lantern is now gay

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I bet Ryan Reynolds is tickled pink over this.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I for one would like to see comic book characters just fight bad guys. But I never read DC anyway, I couldn't care less about what they do. They are just trying to be more like Marvel, they have been making political statements through characters for years.

Maybe they use to be innocent, but these pics made laugh anyway.

edit on 1-6-2012 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

LOL not trying to prove anything at all

Conan just centered around drinking, fighting, and chasing skirt.............. wait a minute comics might just influence a kids decisions, wonder if I can sue somebody?

In all honesty I am glad to see heroes that appeal to alternate lifestyles (hope that isn't a bad term), as all kids need a hero that they can relate to. People are going to be what they are meant to be in life, regardless of what "norm" is forced onto them. What effect will this non-event have in the real world? I don't really know, but I do hope something positive can come from it in the longrun.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Ok so hal is from earth, "our" earth and alan is from earth2 an other world I guess.
So just one of the green lanterns is gay, not ours.
I guess you could say that DC has in effect thrown the gay community a bone?
No. The Green Lantern Alan Scott is not the same as the Green Lanterns of the Green Lantern Corps, which Hal Jordan is a part of.

Alan Scott is a separate entity. I'm going to hurt someone.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee
reply to post by IpsissimusMagus

Funny as that was, black and gay are different - you know that right?
The hypocrisy of you people disgusts me.
Then why same sex marriage is said to be equal to interracial one???
Why gay civil rights are put in the same pot of black civil rights???
Make up your mind for once.
I am fed up of hearing that ''gays are the new blacks''.
So you are gay and don't agree???
Why so much pick n choose???
Utterly disgusting.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I completely forgot about Justice League Dark. I'm not really a Deadman fan but John Constantine and Shade make everything much better.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by deepankarm

It is about civil rights.

Because discrimination is wrong, pure and simple.

How would you like it if a large group of people told you you couldn't get married because you weren't the right kind of person that deserve to get married?

I'm sorry, while there are some things I am critical of homosexuals for, and I do have some very unpopular views on the matter that will never be changed regardless of what they do to try to "normalize" it, I don't support discrimination and feel they should be allowed to have a civil union that has just as much rights and privileges as a marriage. And I'd love to get rid of the DOMA. The feds shouldn't have any power to say who gets married and who shouldn't. Marriage is a personal choice, and America was about life liberty and pursuit of happiness. That is to say, that we don't need a nanny states of America micromanaging every single aspect of our lives because some idiots feel that we have to do things their way.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Green Lantern? Lol. The Spectre is way cooler.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Citybig

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
reply to post by Carseller4

Kids don't even read comics anymore. I once read that over 50% of those who buy DC comics are between 13 and 35 and there's also quita a large percentage of people between 36 and 55 years old. So they're not a problem.

Besides, you don't 'become' gay and you certainly don't think "Oh, my favourite comic book hero is gay, so i will be gay too". Either you are bisexual, hetero or gay from the very beginning.

And i don't know what's the problem is. Just because ONE comic book hero is Gay now doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
I think it's great, that humanity starts to get more modern and more open to different lifeforms.

Sorry, but you are just completely wrong. Children DO see things on the television or in comics, and yes they DO think "Well X does this so I must do it as well so I can be cool like X", whether or not you become or are born gay is completely unimportant, the fact is, young people do not need to be exposed to that lifestyle.

What happens behind closed doors between two adults should stay there, especially homosexuality. There is no need for people to see that.

fully agreed with ye
kids must see propaganda of Science, but not B$ like that.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

As I said multiple times in this thread comics have always been socially progressive. If it weren't for that the X-Men would never exist. We have left the four color world of the Golden and Silver Age. The Modern Age has been more about reflecting the real world and appealing to older demographics and that is what sales have reflected.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Plus you have John Henry Steele who is pretty much the world's leading authority in robotics (if you discount Luthor).

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Why does every tv show, comic, radio show, etc that is getting any sort of impact in the world of media think that they have to have a gay character now?

I'm all for gay rights, but it's becoming a bit silly.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Psh. The Spectre has nothing on the Phantom Stranger. Although, if we count them, the Endless kick everyone's ass.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

Psh. The Spectre has nothing on the Phantom Stranger. Although, if we count them, the Endless kick everyone's ass.

Not too up on those characters to be honest! When it comes right down to it though I'm with Jack Frost from The Invisibles.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

If you don't know the Endless you should definitely read Sandman. It is hands down the best title in comic history. There's a reason Neil Gaiman is now one of the most renowned authors in the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines
Green Lantern? Lol. The Spectre is way cooler.

That was Hal Jordan after he died the first time he became The Spectre.

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

They are both about equal on powers.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
You know why they did this? To continue feeding the fuel that is dividing up everyone. As a group they couldn't take us so they have to break us up. That's where political correctness comes in. Break up the communication amongst the people. Have MSM talk about Racism, Violence, Hate Crimes, and other negative stories to cause fear and spread anger and hate so there is more people fighting with each other. Hate your brother & fight him instead of fighting the one who is putting the shackles around your neck.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I know but I've always thought the Phantom Stranger was a much better character. I also feel the Endless are more powerful since they're pretty much greater than gods.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ugh i sure hope Marvel does'nt think they have to follow suit. I'm trying to imagine a gay Wolverine or Captian America and it's just not working for me.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

This all started with Marvel. Northstar will be marrying his boyfriend this month. It's expected to be at least one of the top selling comics of the year.
edit on 6/1/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join