It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Ahh, the thing is where I live, we don't have the illegal immigrant issue. There is little undercutting for labour services. Our minimum wage is like $11.00 and hour and climbing. Very difficult to find people to work. If you are willing to do grunt labour you can easily get $20.00 an hour with no skills.

Our area is continually bringing out of Province/State contractors because of the shortage of labour.

So maybe our situation is a little different than areas with illegal immigration problems.
edit on 19-5-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2012 by Goldcurrent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
No, there was only one. Where is the logic in spending years and thousands of dollars to train in a field, only to have that career ripped away from you

Nothing was ripped away from you unless you felt you had a right to it to begin with, which is wrong
I realize the issue you are bringing up sure
But that's life, every career decision you make is a gamble
Doesn't mean every gamble you make Govt.(other people) have to bail you out

Originally posted by captaintyinknots and then turning around, spending more years and more thousands of dollars to train in a NEW field, with the mindset that it wont happen again?

It's called life
People way more poor than anyone you know in third world countries will work as masons without govt. assistance to pay for their lives
You are way better off then them

1)BS. I got my education. Paid my dues. Was very successful in my job. had it RIPPED AWAY based on nothing but budget cuts.

2)No one is asking the government to bail me out. YOU are saying that I ought to invest in the same education structure that left me in this position to begin with. Whats that old saying...oh, right: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

3)Comparing to other countries is silly, as in THIS country, we have laws that make it so I cant just go out and decide to become a mason, or an electrician. We are FORCED to go through government channels to get there, yet you sit and talk about how the government shouldnt be involved in helping us. So basically, you advocate government regulations, but not government help.

Try again.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I'm not playing that stupid game mate, sorry.

If you create a thread then ignore half the posts then don't expect others to do the work for you.

Then do not expect a same hour response to those questions
I have other stuff to do
I'm cooking while running to my computer to respond

Give it a day and i'll respond to everything

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I'd also like to take a moment to point out that over 75% of ALL NEW CONTRACTORS fail in the first year. Starting a business is not then end-all be-all.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

1)BS. I got my education. Paid my dues. Was very successful in my job. had it RIPPED AWAY based on nothing but budget cuts.

I grew out of hard times not starting with prosperity and then cuts
btw, who did you vote for and who will you be voting for?
YESSSS... This is VERY relevant!

2)No one is asking the government to bail me out.

In order to get bailed out you have to fill out forms
That's documented "asking"

3)Comparing to other countries is silly, as in THIS country, we have laws that make it so I cant just go out and decide to become a mason, or an electrician. We are FORCED to go through government channels to get there, yet you sit and talk about how the government shouldnt be involved in helping us. So basically, you advocate government regulations, but not government help.

I support neither regulations nor govt. help
Govt. help comes OUT OF regulations

And no the analogy is not silly
Landscaping, programming, web desing, interior decorating etc... does not require certifications

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
this is true, I literally just got a job a few days ago at a wedding decor company.
it will probably suck a lot, 9-5 possible and clean up as late as 3 A.M depending on the party

but I won't care when my pockets are lined with fake paper currency I can waste

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree. There is work if people want to apply themelves.

I mean, lets just imagine if government wasn't there to povide foodstamps, uneployment.

What would anyone do?

*Be careful when you answer. . . . .

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I mean, lets just imagine if government wasn't there to povide foodstamps, uneployment.

What would anyone do?

If they didn't provide these social services people would do what my OP suggests and perhaps the currency would have more value therefore food and clothing would cost less

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

This is what bothers me about social services.

It provides a safety net. But it is also supplying a narcotic. A cure from responsibility. Initiative. Drive.

We are losing the freedom to fail. Without that, failure, we'll never appreciate success. We won't appreciate what we have. What is required to succeed.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

2)No one is asking the government to bail me out. YOU are saying that I ought to invest in the same education structure that left me in this position to begin with. Whats that old saying...oh, right: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Forgive me if you have answered this in an earlier post.

So...what is the plan? How will you get back on track?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

This is what bothers me about social services.

It provides a safety net. But it is also supplying a narcotic. A cure from responsibility. Initiative. Drive.

We are losing the freedom to fail. Without that, failure, we'll never appreciate success. We won't appreciate what we have. What is required to succeed.

I completely agree

Starred post!

Excellent response!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Goldcurrent

Hmm, very interesting, do you mind telling us what area where you live in?

You might be in an area that is currently booming, so there will be a shortage of skilled workers for a period.

I have to say, $20 an hour where I work will not get you anyone of any skill. 20 an hour will only get you an unskilled labor working under the table. You will most likely have to supervise this person, and take other risks. Then you have to take into consideration costs of overheard. For a worker to bring home 20 an hour, they will have to charge $60 an hour. First you need someone to give you a bid, who doesn't get paid to make a bid, only when the bid is accepted, and that person has to get paid for all those bids that were not accepted. If you bid five jobs, taking half a day per job to make the bid, which is an underestimate of the time involved, considering time involved to meet up, travel to and from the job, as well as completing the paperwork, it is expensive time lost.

Every job means taking on risk for the contractor, because there is no guarantee that they will get paid once the job is complete. If the contractor gets a bad vibe from the potential customer, wanting the contractor to take short cuts, unable to make up their minds on what they want, they may decide not to take the risk.

Then there are a lot of corrupt contractors out there. They will take your up front money, and then good luck on getting the job done. This makes it very difficult for someone breaking in to the business. People are very reluctant to give money up front to a guy working out of his truck to buy the materials to get the job. Sadly, just because the guy has a nice truck and an office, doesn't mean they are honest.

A skilled worker should be pulling down as good as money as someone with a four year degree, and a contractor should make what someone with a masters degree from a university should make. A good contractor will charge upwards of over a hundred per hour for good reasons.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I grew out of hard times not starting with prosperity and then cuts
btw, who did you vote for and who will you be voting for?
YESSSS... This is VERY relevant!

2)No one is asking the government to bail me out.

In order to get bailed out you have to fill out forms
That's documented "asking"

I support neither regulations nor govt. help
Govt. help comes OUT OF regulations

And no the analogy is not silly
Landscaping, programming, web desing, interior decorating etc... does not require certifications

1)What does this have to do with the thread, or what I said? Seems like you are trying to deflect from what was said.

2)Again, what is your point, and how does this have anything to do with what I said?

3)So you say, yet you advocate people going back into the system and paying into the very same institution that failed them the first time.

4)No they dont, but they do require things such as company insurance, training, legal startup capital, etc.
edit on 19-5-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Laid off twice, once in 2005 (1 year after finishing engineering school BSEE).

And then again in 2009.

Had to move from MI to So. CA. They found me, because I keep my resume updated on line.

Now working as a tech (not an engineer), but, the headhunters are calling. And I could get back into engineering next month if I chose to.

It has been a little over two years, promoted from worker bee, to shop sup, now shift sup.

GO WHERE THE WORK IS.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale

Forgive me if you have answered this in an earlier post.

So...what is the plan? How will you get back on track?

Ive been lucky enough to have some success in art. I am far luckier than most.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Deregulation is what created all these problems in the first place.

All these big corporations these days survive on government welfare, so why shouldn't everyone else.

You have bought into a lot of populous nonsense.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Laid off twice, once in 2005 (1 year after finishing engineering school BSEE).

And then again in 2009.

Had to move from MI to So. CA. They found me, because I keep my resume updated on line.

Now working as a tech (not an engineer), but, the headhunters are calling. And I could get back into engineering next month if I chose to.

It has been a little over two years, promoted from worker bee, to shop sup, now shift sup.

GO WHERE THE WORK IS.

Congrats!

Sometimes the winding path to success, ends up being the most direct one...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

And that is why corporations these days act the way they do, with no sense of responsibility, because they know that as long as they keep getting free market politicians into office, they will be able to collect their corporate welfare check.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

What would anyone do?

If they didn't provide these social services people would do what my OP suggests and perhaps the currency would have more value therefore food and clothing would cost less

To both the above posters: Let's see...if the simple costs of having housing (a basic human need, even a moth larvae has a need for a cocoon), having food to eat, education for our minds and clothing to put on our backs wasn't so ridiculous, and if work wasn't consistently outsourced where companies can screw, uh, I mean pay the workers a lower wage to benefit their pockets, maybe we wouldn't be seeing so much of this desperation. I don't judge people on welfare, because I know what despair can do to you. Bottom line, the system is beyond broken. You have a tiny portion of humanity living off the cream, a moderate portion of society fighting like wild dogs over a slab of deer for the largest spill of that cream, and the skim milk is what trickles down to the rest of us. I know I oversimplified the politics of capitalistic society, but nevertheless, it is a truth. Tell me, do you see a viable, humane future for a populace when the cream lapping top dogs have no intention of parting with even a drop? They may share with their own puppies, but not us.

How do you make cream out of skim milk, sirs? The reverse can be done, truly. How do you expect the people with the least to attain $$$$?? And please, spare me tales of the one in a million rags to riches mess. You know what, be careful how YOU answer that question, because I am sure it's going to be some skewed, nonsensical bull malarkey based in fiction. I deal in reality, and my reality is a bleak world for the average citizen unconnected to Big Money types. Are you guys in so much denial or smug comfort that you cannot see that this system was set up this way for a few to have, and the masses to have not? Before you lecture me on how life is not fair, check yourself. Just as every non-human animal has the right to live, so does every human (animal). If a deer has the right to live unmolested in the forest, doesn't man have the right to till the soil and make a small dwelling for himself and his family? Apparently, no according to our administrators with their pointless laws and regulations designed to bleed the average man dry and benefit the rich.

If we were allowed to create our own homes within a reasonable lawful standard, and have room to grow our own food and have land that we didn't have to sign a death pledge and pay 30+ years to truly own...only a lazy fool would go without then. Then, it would be fair to label a person lazy if they didn't have anything to show for 10 years or more. But as the system stands, land is out of reach for so many (by design) and so people either slave their lives away, or the truly down and out get assistance. It's a design of the system that you vehemently support. Why do you complain about it so? Would you rather the USA look like Somalia with starving babies and emaciated mothers lining the streets begging people like you for a few crumbs of rice?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

And that is exactly what Newt's deregulation, contract on America, did to everyone everywhere, except the insider political players willing to do anything, no matter how immoral to get ahead.

Banking deregulation allowed all these big corporations to buy up all these innovative start ups with phony baloney money. These innovative small companies were efficient and making decent money, but the whole Wall Street scam game made even more money. Once they got control of these efficient hard working companies, they tore them apart for their patents and markets, eliminating competition, and raking in large short term gains, which is all they wanted.

The people who worked their butts off building these smaller innovative companies were laid off in droves, and most of the work was contracted out to third world slave labor, and young hungry people willing to earn income, not realizing that there jobs came at the sacrifice of the people before them to make it all happen in the first place.

Free market economics is really, screwu economics, and they expect the U.S. public to be on the hook for the massive debt created by corporate welfare.

Meantime, everything you buy these days is just pure garbage and getting worse. Everyone is a scam artist, and good luck getting anything done with any quality.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join