It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic surgery boom as Asians seek western look

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...
This article focuses on the specific story of Lee Min, a 12 year old, get reconstructive surgery to look get ahead and look pretty. Her mother is pushing her to do this, although Lee Min agrees. This article is part of a bigger story that many Asians are having plastic surgery to look more western.

Her mother, Jang Hyu-hee, says her daughter didn't ask for the surgery. "I'm having her do it," says Jang, "because I think it'll help her. This is a society where you have to be pretty to get ahead. She's my only daughter."

I think this is absolutely horrible. I'm going to stay away from the cultural aspect of this issue. I don't want this to turn into a race issue. I do not think ANY 12 year old should be having plastic surgery unless what they are changing is affecting their life. Their bodies are still maturing along with their mind. They have no idea what they want. At my age, I'm not even sure what I want. I know at 12 I was wearing obnoxious glitter eyeliners and big hair scrunchies because I thought it was pretty.

The fact that her mother is making her have the surgery is even more disgusting to me. It is as if her mother is telling her she is not pretty enough. This is how young people develop self confidence problems and eating disorders. It is bad enough that Hollywood puts these pressures on individual, but having your family put this pressure on your is even more devastating.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A bunch of "western" people get plastic surgery to look more like the "western" ideal of beautiful.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A few years ago I remember there was a huge rise in either India or Pakistan women using skin whitening products to look more Western.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm not hating on plastic surgery. I don't think it would be something I would do, but if you have the money to spend, most procedures are low risk. It is your body to do what you want. But 12 year olds ??

The only reason I highlighted Asians is because it is the title of the article.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
sounds great to use these articles to fit into "white envy" or even "white man's burden" agenda

the problem is... the existence of tanning salons galore and plethoria of boob/butt implants would mean Westerners are 'trying to look' like the dark-skinned caucasian Indians and/or voluptuous Africans.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
A few years ago I remember there was a huge rise in either India or Pakistan women using skin whitening products to look more Western.

It's a problem still in those countries as well as Britain, the Caribbean, and many Latin countries. So much of a problem women are faced with serious skin conditions which could lead to future cases of melanomas. We'll know in a few years just how bad the problem is when the cancer rate goes sky high for melanated peoples. I saw a documentary called Skin in which the women were literally addicted to the bleaching cream.

Here you have Western society, a society with the poorest self image setting beauty standards for the world, how pathetic and dangerous.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is utter ridiculousness! I find Asian women very very attractive and I don't understand this. This is like women starving themselves to the point of anorexia to look like a model.

Give me a voluptuous Asian anyday!

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
This is utter ridiculousness! I find Asian women very very attractive and I don't understand this. This is like women starving themselves to the point of anorexia to look like a model.

Give me a voluptuous Asian anyday!

In this kid's case, I don't think it's a bad thing. It's only a subtle change, and all it has really done is widen her face a little, and give it some more clarity. She looked a bit like she had a lazy eye in the earlier image. It doesn't make her look less Asian; it just makes her more attractive.
edit on 15-5-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by headorheart

Ya this is repellent. She should not be allowed to force this on the child.

Really.

Humans are weird (yes i am saying I am weird too).

top topics

join