It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Next Major Human Advancement. HUGE.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

No. Compassion should NOT be unconditional, because being compassionate with a person who consistently gets into stupid situations is unhealthy for both parties. It will drain you of energy and resources, and rob that person of the lessons they need to stop getting into trouble.

That's why the 6th Density is Compassionate Wisdom...either without the other is ultimately unhealthy, and we must learn to balance the two effectively.
edit on CFridaypm272749f49America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Compassion is knowing that no matter what you are ok, in any situation that arises. So if someone is playing up it does not set up a reaction in you. If you do not react to the life situation that is compassion. It allows space for life to be and then you can be and when all things are allowed to be there is peace and compassion and love.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by samureyed

OP, the more I think about the subject of compassion I realize that although I fully agree the idea of compassion, I dissagree with the idea that it is our next major human advancement.

Simply because it is not new. Compassion is as old as we are. We didn't advance to it, we have always had it, but are only more aware what it is, how we use it, how others are affected from it and so on. We are more aware through knowledge.

So in that regard, we can become more compassionate, but it can never really be our next big advancement. Regardless, good thread, totally got sucked in haha.

There is the average, every day compassion exhibited by our species (well, SUPPOSED to be exhibited, anyway) and then there is the compassion that is instilled by ESP...you are a lot more compassionate when you look at a beggar on the street and FEEL his hunger, FEEL his pain...It is a lot harder to look down on something when, if only for a moment, you actually stand in their shoes and see through their eyes.

It brings a whole new level of understanding, of the sort very rarely experienced by Homo Sapiens. Is this what you are disagreeing with? Because this is what I hope to be the next big step in evolution...imagine how the world would improve when every soldier on the battle field, and every renegade opposing them, feels every gunshot they inflict, feels the searing heat of burning flesh in their own body, and feel the agony of one of their enemies watching a comrade die, and actually REALIZES, in their heart, that they are not killing dogs. They are destroying human lives. And when they realize this, it will occur to them that nothing is worth this level of pain and sacrifice...no one with any kind of heart is going to continue with such destruction when they can feel exactly what they are doing.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

You don't really know what compassion is, do you? My god, to think you might understand the concept and then see what you THINK it means...ugh. It makes me shudder.

Compassion is the state of understanding someone else's pain, of having a sort of sympathy for them. When you have compassion for a wounded dog, you know that it hurts, and you are sorry that it does. You want to help, and you do help, because you hate the thought of that dog being in pain.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Do you have no compassion for stupid people? What do you think is the opposite of compassion?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

No. Compassion should NOT be unconditional, because being compassionate with a person who consistently gets into stupid situations is unhealthy for both parties. It will drain you of energy and resources, and rob that person of the lessons they need to stop getting into trouble.

Compassion means you should recognize the common intelligence within a being and then wonder how and why the being is behaving like it is, from its perspective. When you come across someone you think is behaving ignorantly, compassion is the act that leads to understanding. Compassion is the act you do to say, "Hmm, this person might not be ignorant, lets try to examine what they are doing in the context of their perspective." Compassion is the neutralizing effort. Understanding is the examination of the object from a neutral perspective.

See? In order to have compassion, you have to throw your own ego out the window. Once you do that, then you can understand them. And you should make an effort to understand what you believe to be a fool. Have compassion first. Then make your determination.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I enjoy your post. It echos what I have felt and believed for a long time.

Empathy, compassion, whatever you wish to call it, is the key to a better world. A favorite author of mine once speculated that if you could truly know someone, inside and out, start to finish, everything that's happened to them, every emotion, every failing, every triumph, you woud be incapable of hating them. Even if they became something of a monster, the most you would achieve is a great sadness at their lost potential and lost way.

I have done some things in my life I'm not proud of (haven't we all?), and based on how far down the pit of despair it took me, it's given me a special uniquie perspective on the posibility for people to turn their life around and shake of their ghosts of the past.

So when I see someone strugging with life, I feel a compassion to them, a empathy with their plight. And as such, I offer my help willingly, because I know how good it was to recieve help when I needed it, and how cold it was without help. Taking the time to see people and their struggles and see all of them as important and worth my time, makes it easier for me to forget my own ails and loose myself in helping others. It's a lesson I had forgotten over the past few days, and already I can feel myself getting happier just by sharing this.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Do you have no compassion for stupid people? What do you think is the opposite of compassion?

The opposite of compassion is ego action.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

You know, I agree with that. Sometimes the greater compassion comes from letting others fail and learn from that failure.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Vaykun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Compassion isn't about saving others. Compassion is about allowing 'others' or things to evolve at their own pace without enforcing your way upon them.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

No. Compassion is about sympathy...concern for the pain of whomever you are aware of.

com·pas·sion/kəmˈpaSHən/
Noun:
Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others:

Nothing about allowing whatever.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Nope. Which explains my response to you.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I completely concur with all you have said. All around the World, millions are coming to the same conclusion, Love & Light shines into the darkest corner. Compassion is the only alternative, we are ONE experiencing the many but never the less all ONE still. Peace, Love & Light to all of my other selves. Let us remember that as we do onto others...planets, animals, plants, rocks and soil, we literally do to our selves- so there is no good/bad, right/wrong it is all experience for the ONE. The latter being said, if you then in turn realize that ALL is a reflection of yourself who is really the ONE, the ALL, would you hurt yourself or Love yourself? Loving ALL is Loving Yourself. This is the greatest post, for this explains it all.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Compassion isn't about saving others. Compassion is about allowing 'others' or things to evolve at their own pace without enforcing your way upon them.

Actually.. This is deep and I think you are right.

To others saying no... Think about it for a second. Knowing that everyone evolves spiritually/soufully at a different pace, thus learning different experiences than oneself, this resonates with me.

What a great way to think of it!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I think we can all agree that Earth is a tough school to attend. We are courageous souls to decide it was a good idea for us to come here. Forgetting who we are and being forced to remember through the veil... man that is a really tough trick.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by omarm1984
Hundreds of posts approving of the OP's message. But how many of you are actually going to practice this? One big reason why I stopped telling about spirituality and its concepts is that, even thought they aprove of what I tell 100%, they forget everything I said after 30 seconds.

The best way to spread a message is by practicing it.

Totally Agree ..Practice it ! and your whole being an world will change.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

No. Compassion is about sympathy...concern for the pain of whomever you are aware of.

com·pas·sion/kəmˈpaSHən/
Noun:
Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others:

Nothing about allowing whatever.

This may be how dictionary.com defines compassion, but we here, of much deeper philosophical understanding of the term than the fine folks at dictionary.com, have a different definition.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Yes, if you wish to inflict your will upon another to "save" them, then you are limiting the free expression of that individual to coordinate with your will. By doing so, you can't understand the actions and behavior of the individual demonstrated as an expression of the one creator because now the actions and behavior of the individual are demonstrating the expression of your own will.

Compassion is an ego-dissolving action to gain access to understanding of the one observer which is freely expressing itself in all life forms. If you don't allow the freedom of expression, then how are you going to gain the understanding which compassion is supposed to bring?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal

Actually.. This is deep and I think you are right.

To others saying no... Think about it for a second. Knowing that everyone evolves spiritually/soufully at a different pace, thus learning different experiences than oneself, this resonates with me.

What a great way to think of it!

Precisely. This is the heart of what compassion is about. Gaining an understanding of things beyond the individual self.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Compassion is about allowing 'others' or things to evolve at their own pace

My problem with this is that if, in my earlier example, you let that wounded dog die, you just allowed that spcies of dog to evolve at its own pace. You didn't interfere with malice or benevolence.

It's a flawed definition that makes me sick at heart. It reminds me of people who don't do anything because they don't feel like it...they force people to find their own solutions, whether or not they are actually capable, and that's why I'm saying scrap it.
edit on CFridaypm232320f20America/Chicago04 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join