It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Way to ignore the words from Jesus

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
He is not an antibullying crusader that he claims to be. Seems he only wishes to protect one group from bullying, that makes him as much of a biggot as those that he is bashing. What a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

In a civil society all are free to have their own ideas and live their own lives without having to put up with other people getting in their face about it. It goes both ways and should be what we all aspire to. Why the need to always win and be right? Why not agree that you do not agree and just leave each other alone?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

I'd like to hear your plan on how we stop prejudice against gays. We cannot deny that it exists - so how would you stop it?

Well a very good start would be to have amongst other things all the gay hate in scriptures like the bibles.

How would you successfully convince children to stop bullying other gay children?

It is not a matter of convincing them not to, it is all about not introducing it as a sickness or evidence to begin with.

How would you successfully convince people to vote for equality for gays?

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still, as the saying goes so there is not much point in trying to educate pork. However, people do understand what equality for all means and that is the only vote that should ever be promoted. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the US constitution say something about all being equal ? If this is not being applied to all then there is something seriously wrong.

How would you successfully convince people to treat all gays with respect and dignity?

We teach our children to treat "All" people with respect and dignity, it is quite simple really. If you hand a child a bible then your asking for trouble from the word go.

How would you convince people to allow two gays to walk down the street, hand in hand, without fear of being heckled, taunted, or laughed at?

It's not a matter of convincing people to "allow" it is a matter of upholding their absolute right to walk hand in hand no different to anyone else. If a society need convincing to allow this then quite clearly that society is severely broken, although it may kick and scream to the contrary.

People get heckled and laughed at every minute of every day, this doesn't make it acceptable but we have to look at things in perspective. People are no longer allowed to say the anagram of ginger but it goes on in some of their heads none the less. It is not really that productive trying to police everyone's thoughts or intent, but surely we would live in a far happier place if we gave our children one piece of advice very young ==

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE OFFENSE

If they learn this they would be far less likely to dish it out to begin with.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ChristianJihad

He clearly thought that by bashing the bible and pointing out what he thought were discrepancies in theological ideas he would get sympathy from the crowd. To me, he just came off crude and pathetic.

Not to mention that he used the bible in his rant, and hmmm what happened to all that liberal not wanting to inject religion into education...oh that's right you can bash religion in schools.
edit on 28-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: fix typo

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

You mean we need to go back to gays hiding in the closets, too afraid to be who they are. Sorry - that's not going to happen.

Absolutely NOT, and nowhere in my post did I suggest that. Shame on you.

I'd like to hear your plan on how we stop prejudice against gays. We cannot deny that it exists - so how would you stop it? How would you successfully convince children to stop bullying other gay children? How would you successfully convince people to vote for equality for gays? How would you successfully convince people to treat all gays with respect and dignity? How would you convince people to allow two gays to walk down the street, hand in hand, without fear of being heckled, taunted, or laughed at?

Fighting for human rights is a difficult, painful, messy process. It may not feel good when someone is in your face, demanding - but sometimes that's what it takes to get people to hear it. The civil rights movement was difficult, painful and messy. But, it worked. There are books in schools talking about blacks being treated inhumanely. The history of slavery is taught in schools. There was a time when this was fought by many in the white community. They didn't want this black rights stuff shoved down their (and their children's) throats. But there is a new generation that is more tolerant of blacks than the older generation was. That didn't just happen magically by itself. It was hard work by individuals dedicated to fighting prejudice and intolerance. Those individuals are on the road to heaven, not the road to hell.
edit on 28-4-2012 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

First off Christians are human too. I am totally sure some of them are gay as well.
You seem to speak from a limited perspective. I won't even try to go there.
Now since you have brought up civil rights and deferred to the RACIAL dependency of this topic.
I then would surmise that you can produce evidence that there has never been a black person that had issues with gay rights???? And more over a black Christian??

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

As a Christian, it is difficult to hear this attack against my faith from someone who has zero understanding of anything he cited - no less from someone that has his OWN moral code to enforce on society.

The reality is, most Atheists, Agnostics, and "worldly Christians" probably know more about the Christian faith than the average "christian" especially the "right wing flavour". The teachings of the bible when fully understood by some are what turn some "christians" into Atheists and what not, and not necessarily for the teachings themselves, but because of the pollution and selective use of the bible by many modern "religions" and "christians"

He speaks of slavery, yet has no understanding that God makes it perfectly clearly that the entire world is already in slavery.

This would require again, the unquestioning, blind faith of all to subscribe to this belief, yet again, another example of "everyone must subscribe to what I believe or they are wrong"

"Tolerance" is the buzz word that forces people into submission. I applaud those young people for swimming upstream in a society fast being forced to accept any and all personal behaviour as 'normal and healthy' because of TOLERANCE. Tolerance isn't love, tolerance is a blinding tool to the destruction of civilisation.

Funny you mention tolerance as being evil:

Ephesians 4:2 ESV
With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,

John 8:7 ESV
And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Acts 10:28 ESV
And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a Jew to associate with or to visit anyone of another nation, but God has shown me that I should not call any person common or unclean.

Romans 14:1-4 ESV
As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Matthew 7:1 ESV
Judge not, that you be not judged.

Helpful Not Helpful Matthew 18:1-35 ESV
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, ...

1 Peter 3:8-11 ESV
Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it.

1 Peter 3:15 ESV
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

The Bible teaches us to be tolerant, not evil, tolerant. Maybe you missed those parts? Innocent enough mistake I guess.

Gay advocates for years denied the warnings that it's acceptance wouldn't lead to other forms of sexual acts being recognised as 'normal' - and right on cue, psychologists have been writing journal articles suggesting that pedophilia should be reclassed from a mental illness to a sexual practice.

Cite your source please, so it is not mistaken for pure rhetoric aimed at an emotional response.

These are fallible human ideals, not anything else, you are aware that the bible has many marriages that would now be considered sexual abuse of a minor right?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I just watched his speech. He was bang on, I saw nothing he said offensive. From the first few seconds he spoke, not too long after he uttered the word bible, some of those students decided they'd just walk out because they can't take criticism. Boy the evangelicals are certainly thinned skinned ain't they? They make up the majority of the population, they are strong represented in the government and in the media, yet when there is a hint of criticism, they can't take it. They're going to be in for a rude awakening as time goes by.

I believe in God, but that doesn't mean that I must take the bible by it's literal meaning or feel that I'm being personally attacked when the bible is being criticized.

Yep and Fox news is at it again, and so are many ATSers here pushing this manufactured outrage.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

People can't see the slow destruction of our morals - the tendency of sin is downward to greater degradation and misery, it's a spiral and gains momentum as it descends.

When was the last time you ate pork, worked on the sabbath, ate meat and dairy together, ate shellfish, stoned your children for being insubordinate? I could go on, but I know you have not led a perfect sin free life acording to the Bible, maybe you get the point?

It's one of the most important lessons in this Bible, and that the speaker will never acknowledge it because he's so wrapped up in justifying a sexual practice as a "lifestyle" that he berates children for not choosing IT over the Bible. That is the crux of his form of bullying - coercion based on the human inclination to not be seen as 'different'.

sounds a bit like "christianity" to me, "coercion based on the human inclination to not be seen as 'different'."

Evil loves company as they say. He has no concept of the meaning of Biblical slavery, for it he did, he'd not be up at that podium.

I think you might be the one lacking on Biblical understanding, sorry, by your rant is most unchristian like, that being said, it is between you and your God, unless of course you try to ram it down someone's throat.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just temper our outrage here in the United States and replace it with kindness and civility?. The Golden Rule so to speak...

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Love one another

Love your neighbor as yourself

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

But here's the thing - look at the context - the event was about "TOLERANCE" and anti-bullying, it was not about Homosexual rights. If it was the latter, he'd be more in his rights to rant away (even if I don't agree with that message). Its the fact that he is trying to speak on tolerance while simultaneously being intolerant that is the most galling.

Yes, it was about tolerance and anti-bullying, so it is no surprise that he, as a gay man, used the example of how the bible is used to justify intolerance and bullying against the homosexual community/ In fact, I would say it is to be expected that a a gay man who is a key-note speaker at a conference on bullying would use it, as it is the main source of discrimination, bigotry, intolerance, and hate.

Your manufactured outrage at the bible being mentioned is rather sad, if not telling.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan

But here's the thing - look at the context - the event was about "TOLERANCE" and anti-bullying, it was not about Homosexual rights. If it was the latter, he'd be more in his rights to rant away (even if I don't agree with that message). Its the fact that he is trying to speak on tolerance while simultaneously being intolerant that is the most galling.

Yes, it was about tolerance and anti-bullying, so it is no surprise that he, as a gay man, used the example of how the bible is used to justify intolerance and bullying against the homosexual community/ In fact, I would say it is to be expected that a a gay man who is a key-note speaker at a conference on bullying would use it, as it is the main source of discrimination, bigotry, intolerance, and hate.

Your manufactured outrage at the bible being mentioned is rather sad, if not telling.

Hi rya,
What would be better, is you quoting chapter and verse of your arguement.
Do you possess the capability???
interested ljb

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

He was being belittling. People here know I am not christian by now I am sure, but I can see why they walked out. If someone started dogging on my religion like that, I would have walked out too. This guy was belittling a whole religion, while calling for these religious folks to be tolerant. It's hypocrisy no matter how anyone spins it.

link   

You must understand that trauma during childhood can cause many adults to remain fixated on the anus, scarring them for life. I've read many savage writings, and the guy is sick in the head, but so are most Christians. They deserve each other, so let the children mete it out.

One of the more sagacious things I've heard a homo say was back in the 70's when I would study playboy magazines. A writer/author who was well known and revered stated that you can have all sorts of orgasms, you can have back of the wrist orgasms!

But for some reason the wiring gets fused into their believing they are gay, etc.... All this means for savage is that he has a cash cow going for himself based on his perversion of choice being a stepping stone for tptw to grab more powers to come. He is just revolting in his every utterance, always coming back around to how great his boyfriends phallus tastes or smells. ugh. Normal persons don't advertise what they do in their bedrooms. It was hard to watch the viddy, OP. Very hard, so thanks for the mental antibodies boost.

link   
reply to post by RyanFromCan

Oh he slipped in some GOP bashing as well. What has the educational system come to? A partisan, bible-bashing atheist hate fest? Sure sounds like it to me.

link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I don't care who he insulted, but the minute he started cursing and insulting anyone, the principal should have stopped him. Period.

It baffles me that a motivational speaker with a student audience would use such foul language and insult anyone. It's almost as if he were drunk.

If my child had been subjected to this, I'd be furious and someone would have a lot of explaining to do.

i guess it's alright if your son was called a "f-in" faggot by christians, or beat up, or tied to a barb-wired fence and left to die...those things have happened...but woah!! don't insult the christian faith, that would make you furious.

If you dish out even a taste of what they serve up on a regular basis - they go crazy as though you're a hateful monster.

How many christians who saw the video or posted here have thought about why he feels the way he does anyway?

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

If there was a way to demote stars from you I would but you have no stars yet to remove, if only because you equate Christianity with that filth.
edit on 28-4-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by graphuto

Originally posted by Danbones
the speaker in the OP is just tired of the Christian anti Gay rhetoric
he dishes a little back and he be Baaaaad

christians are the only ones alowed to dish it because there god is the only god
guess he never got the memo

Don't quite understand what you mean. It's quite all right for a Christian to not want to tolerate or have anything to do with someone who practices "x" lifestyle. Avoiding someone, or expressing displeasure with what they do, in and of itself, is not a bad thing.

The second it elevates past that, into violence, or being mean, or thinking hateful thoughts, or whatever, then they aren't really being Christian are they? So the argument doesn't really apply.

So that leaves about 6 real christians in the world then?

link   
If all of those people who walked out stayed and listened instead, and then put forth their opinion, am I wrong in that someone might say to them, "Well it's a free country, if you didn't want to listen then why did you stay?", but no, about 100 people left and it would not be surprising if someone said, "That's not tolerant, why couldn't they stay and see if they can glean any special insight from this well-to-do man? Those who walked out must be hypocrites, and how dare they smile as they leave."

In my opinion, Christians, as a whole (or 'body' if you prefer), could use more bible study.
Athiests could use more bible study to catch Christians in their tracks if they want to, I think it would help Christians to be mindful of their fruits that they are known by. I've heard enough American Christians say, "Oh we are SO BLESSED that we aren't being persecuted!" Well, what's there to persecute when there is a miniscule difference between believers and unbelievers. I have heard some Athiests say, "You are no better than us!" and Christians say, "We are no better than Athiests, we're sinners and we'll always be sinners, but we're going to heaven and those who don't believe are going to hell."

C'mon Christians, Jesus said that his followers would be hated and persecuted and it wasn't a threat it was a promise. Jesus' teachings because they are vitally important. It's not easy to be hated and persecuted but it's definitely not better to make a mockery of Jesus whom you are supposed to represent here on earth. The bible says that if YOU humble YOURSELVES then YOU will be exalted, not by people, but by Him.

There is a difference between humbling oneself and putting themselves down or resigning oneself to a lifetime of sin. Just because you admit that you are a sinner, it doesn't make it okay for you to keep on sinning, Jesus makes it very clear on who will be rejected.
If your objective in this life is to prepare for everlasting life, then remember that demons believe that God exists, and God has prepared for them everlasting shame and contempt.
Remember that Satan understands scripture and uses it out of context to decieve others, we know this because Satan came to Jesus and tried it so what makes you think he wouldn't try it on you?

The bible says to "Test every spirit" because God tests us every moment of the day too, and he's looking for those who are faithful, not children of the Mother of Harlots. So Christians, rather than complain that Satan has an effect on unbelievers, show and tell what good that you have allowed God say and do in your life, HAS God changed you? I will leave you to answer that yourself because I believe that many Christians feel utterly above reproach.

People know others by their fruits, no one is fooling anyone but themselves. People may say that they ARE nothing without Jesus, well Jesus NEVER DID SAY THAT, he said, "you can DO nothing" without Him, but is THAT true in the sense that people view it? Jesus sustains the life of everyone because he doesn't want to uproot the wheat along with the tares, therefore the tares keep on living, but a bad tree can not bear good fruit, without Jesus in our hearts we can do no good thing. He is the truth, living and eternal, He never spoke ill of himself otherwise he'd be a liar, but Christians speak ill of themselves and what they say is true, but they mistakenly think that just because they are truthful in that instance that it makes up for all the wrongs they commit. It doesnt.
Likewise if you believe in following Jesus, follow His example, He told sinners to stop sinning, whether each and every one of them obeyed we don't know, but Jesus told them anyway. Everyone knows that there is a difference between stoning a woman for adultry, and saving an adultress from being stoned and afterwards telling her to stop sinning. He never condoned sin, but he didn't want us to accept a sinful lifestyle.
edit on 10/01/11 by Wonders because: Fixed wall of text and added.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

He is not an antibullying crusader that he claims to be. Seems he only wishes to protect one group from bullying, that makes him as much of a biggot as those that he is bashing. What a hypocrite.

I can't believe you don't get it, that he was talking about his experiences with bullying as a gay man, where one of the tools used to abuse, batter, and bully him was the Bible. this short video was just a small part of his speech, it was using one small example of bullying, taking from the life of a gay man.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join