It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. troops pose with suspected Afghan bombers' bodies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

U.S. troops pose with suspected Afghan bombers' bodies

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- The Los Angeles Times published photos Wednesday of U.S. soldiers posing with what the newspaper said were bodies of insurgents in Afghanistan -- sparking outrage and condemnation from U.S. military officials.

The two photos published by the paper are among 18 provided by a U.S. soldier, who wanted "to draw attention to the safety risk of a breakdown in leadership and discipline," The Times reported.

The military said an investigation is under way.

The photos, from incidents in 2010, represent "a serious error in judgment by several soldiers who have acted out of ignora
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Ah, the US military, winning over the hearts of the Afghan people.

Interestingly, the article says a soldier released the photos, "to draw attention to the safety risk of a breakdown in leadership and discipline."

So obviously there's a problem with the way things are being done over there.

Maybe more soldiers are waking up to the REAL reasons for their deployments, and "peace-keeping" missions. PROFIT

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I could honestly care less that this happened. I guarantee this stuff happens in every war on both sides. We send children to war and ask them to not act like children. The unfortunate part is that we have the internet now and things like this go viral and bleeding hearts feel that someone needs to be punished and then we do punish some kid that acted like a kid to appease those that were offended. This has happened in ever war throughout history. Posing with a dead body or disrespecting dead enemies is nothing new for anyone. Hell they use to be put on stakes in the ground and posed outside of forts to show others what was going to happen to them. Is that any better? Some countries use to cut off their genitals and place them inside the mouths of the dead as a sign of disrespect. War isn't a humane or civil thing. Its dirty, ugly and bad things happen.
edit on 18-4-2012 by TheTardis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Guarding Opium fields is not so glamorous.

Neither is wiping out opposing opium factions under the guise of installing democracy.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69

Ah, the US military, winning over the hearts of the Afghan people.

So what Afghans really want is respect given to the maniacs that mass murder them and keep them oppressed? Are you really outraged that guys who would cut your head off if given the opportunity were posed with after they were killed fighting our troops?

REALLY?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I have not looked at the pictures, but my first reaction is...and...so what?

Almost certainly, moments or minutes before the pictures were taken, these guys were in a fight to the death with the deceased - and maybe even lost some buddies in the fight.

What the @#$% do people expect? We train them to fight and kill to protect our way of life - and to defend the local citizens in the proximity of the conflict - but also expect them to act like accountants or actuaries right after living through the most extreme of life-or-death experience?

They took a picture of the people they just killed...who had just finished trying to kill them.

So what?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

HA. We are in THEIR home town. They did not try to kill some soldiers at Fort Bragg. This was Afghanistan. Give me one good reason why these supposed "suicide bombers" should not try to kill as many foreign troops occupying their home land as possible?

They are defending their turf. Yet we go all the way over there to kill them, and still have the balls to piss on their soldiers bodies, and pose with their dead brothers and fathers.

Those US occupiers just created 100 more suicide bombers by taking that picture.

Gotta love US foreign policy...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Again you could justify this if those soldiers were fighting them here in America.

But they are not. US troops are in their home towns, where they grew up, and yet we expect them to not fight back??

And when they do fight back, the US troops act like they just accomplished something by desecrating the dead bodies of the people they are liberating.

Oh we are so advanced we killed a couple taliban in the desert with our high tech weapons.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
Guarding Opium fields is not so glamorous.

Neither is wiping out opposing opium factions under the guise of installing democracy.

Exactly! We go over there and try to completely change their way of life, yet we get angry and piss on their dead bodies, when they fight back against an occupying force...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

Now by the way you are saying things, you are against U.S. forces being overseas on deployment at all...not JUST this specific one and Afghanistan as being the particular nation. Would that be fair? I mean your statemens are 100% anti-war, down the line and not on reasons or principle of how this started by the sound of it.

So.... Can I assume you're consistent and also oppose any and all U.S. involvement in Syria, Libya and Iran? If so.. well...

I personally disagree with Afghanistan for how the troops are getting blame on everything that comes up, however small in the relative circumstances. However, I will give respect for those who are intellectually honest about being anti-war, across the board and without circumstantial morality about who is okay to stomp and who isn't.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So your saying these dead soldiers were minding their own business and doing nothing wrong and our big bad soldiers came in and just killed them for no reason? Thats a pretty bold statement because if I am not mistaken they had been harboring the #1 fugitive in the world for many years. I am no expert on why we are there but this president who if anyone can remember campaigned on the fact that he was going to bring "ALL" of the troops home as soon as he took office thinks its a good idea that we are there right now. So I am going to go out on a limb and say these guys have a reason for being there and had a reason for killing those who have been killed. I suggest you talk to the soldier who just lost both arms and both legs the other day. He might be able to enlighten you on this subject.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Interesting post. CNN pulls out old news to further discredit the military presence in Afghanistan.

My two cents: (1) (Likely) Our media manages to drag out the absolute worst cases of military conduct because good military conduct doesn't provide good ratings. (2) (Alternative) CNN is promoting unpopularity of a republican's decision to enter a conflict in Afghanistan, because this is an election year.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

100% anti-war thank you very much. Especially when people and corporations are profiting off war.

So you on the other hand believe we should have a military presence in all the countries you listed?

Why?

Seriously, there is an obvious pattern over the last century of American colonialism.

Look into what we have done in South America.

To think we are spending trillions on human rights in the middle east, would be lieing to yourself.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

Oh yea i'm sure Afghanistan was all about gettin Osama Bin Laden right?

If your worried about that we should be in Saudi Arabia not Afghanistan.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theendisnear69

I'll be honest here. I supported the move into Afghanistan in 2001 and would have supported it being done years sooner. I'd hoped for it after a couple ealier attacks and attempts, actually. However, that was started as a very small American ground team running liason to the Northern Alliance as the army doing the fighting for their own nation. Heck, they'd WON too...Osama was chased right over the passes into Paksistan and the war could have pretty much ended there. Noooo.... Washington had to land the Marines and make a full nation building event out of it and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

2003.. I supported for Iraq and came a week from going there myself as a convoy trucker. My wife and more about how she wouldn't be within a week of my landing in Kuwait..is what changed that plan.

Since then and with all we now know about 2003 and 2001/2002? Well...I've come to BE anti-war unless we're attacked..HERE..and in such a direct and obvious way that no American needs anything explained to them for the who, what and why.

I'm against intervention into Libya, Syria and Iran. All three, actually. I'd change that real quick if Iran decided a premptive strike was a good idea and hit US....HERE....but short of that? Nawww... Who are we to dictate terms to nations 10,000 miles away and thousands of years older than we are?

I mentioned those nations and picked those specifically because I've been truly amazed at how many people are all about no no no for Iran and Israel is rotten and nasty...but Syria..well now, those Rebels need help and by goodness, we need to be the helpers! The sheer number of people who don't even realize the hypocrisy of that ..made it worth asking.
As I said..I respect the fact you are honestly Anti-War. That takes MORE courage sometimes than the other.

edit on 18-4-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

100% anti-war thank you very much. Especially when people and corporations are profiting off war.

So you on the other hand believe we should have a military presence in all the countries you listed?

Why?

I can answer this question. Because I live in a free Democracy and I elected officials (Granted not the ones I voted for but I believe in our system) and those officials deem it necessary. Its not my job to know all of the facts and make the decisions. I have a good friend who is in military intelligence and his job in particular is to read and interpret satellite photos. If he tells me that the American pubic doesn't know all of the facts and doesn't need nor want to know. But I rest easy at night knowing that I live in a place where I can walk the streets of my neighborhood at night and not be afraid. We don't have the facts, not many people do but if we are in another country fighting there is a good chance that we should be. People that say its because of oil or big corporations are foolish. We don't get kids killed over that crap. We get kids killed to protect the rights we have and the freedoms we have and to show other countries that we are not going to sit back and let them hurt us. Its not about politics either because if it were Obama would have us pulled out of all of these countries and he has made his feelings over the years clear on that. He campaigned on wanting to bring the troops home but once he was privileged to all of the information that he hadn't known then he decided it wants a good idea. That alone tells me the American public doesn't know half of what is going on. You just have to believe that our system works.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale

They took a picture of the people they just killed...who had just finished trying to kill them.

So what?

They're the one who's in their country in the first place...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Oh yea i'm sure Afghanistan was all about gettin Osama Bin Laden right?

If your worried about that we should be in Saudi Arabia not Afghanistan.

Let's be honest here, we're in Afghanistan to keep and eye on Iran, Pakistan and China. The taliban are just an excuse. We've been there for more than a decade and taliban are still strong as ever... I guess the term "Graveyard of the Empires" is really suitable for Afghanistan... Alexander the Great, British Empire, Soviet Union and soon the be USA.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Because I live in a free Democracy and I elected officials (Granted not the ones I voted for but I believe in our system) and those officials deem it necessary. Its not my job to know all of the facts and make the decisions.

Hahahahahah

Comedy gold!

I'm sorry, this is too funny. I can't participate in this thread.

Disgusting what those U.S troops did.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"Whats so Civil about War anyway"

Bet there was some back slapping in the Oval Office when others were killed.

Politically Correct posture is making my back ache

<<   2  3  4 >>

join