It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to Atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegrayone
. . . the brain doesn't create consciousness, but the brain houses consciousness... filters it.

Yes - I believe along this line of thinking.

That physical is actually a creation of thought energy. That physical is an extension of energy consciousness - - not the other way around.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, I guess my being an Atheist/Agnostic I should chime in on this.

Have I been in arguments with religious people over religion? Yes. Have I ever once started an argument with a religious person? Not that I can recall.

This is the BIG distinction we all need to make. Just because an atheist sends a Christian running home crying (metaphorically speaking), does not mean the Atheist began the argument that led to said crying.

See, if I am participating in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with religion, then start being bombarded with the usual diatribe from a religious person, am I not allowed to defend myself? And I usually only give as good as I get. I will not respond to an honest, rational question or statement with a mockery or strong words. Only when I feel I have received strong words or a mockery do I return the favor.

It's not my fault if they have thin skin.

I'm very respectful with people who DESERVE and have EARNED my respect, regardless of religious stance.

edit on 4/15/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

That physical is actually a creation of thought energy. That physical is an extension of energy consciousness - - not the other way around.
Are you saying that you can create things with your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ladysophiaofsandoz
reply to post by Hydroman

No always the case my husband has always been a hard core atheist but when he died (he came back) he saw cartoon characters who keep trying to tell him he was dead and beings made out of light. He kept telling him he was supposed to just shut down when he died. Only things that were the same a most NDE is he got questioned, he had to turn around and face his essence/true self, and he got to ask to see how the universe works. As soon as they showed him and he figured out everything was a big circle he jumped back in and woke up. Scared the crap out of the nurse.My husband is a hard head he argues with death and doesn't stay dead when he dies. That must be what I love about him.

Greetings Ladysophiaofsandoz. I too had a 18 minute NDE, and saw things not of this world. I saw that the "Light" thing is a machine, and is designed to recycle the human Soul and send it back again and again. I got to see myself on the gurney, the docs working on me, one put a needle right into my heart.....I saw Beings of Light, and passed over family members and friends, all telling me to go back, it is not time yet. Let's just say I am much better prepared the next time, and am actually looking forward to it.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Well - - maybe we do. But I don't think we are on that level of consciousness.

I do not believe in a god in any religious sense. I do think everything is energy - - that consciousness comes from energy.

I do think there are layers upon layers upon layers of levels of consciousness.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

What she is saying is that you are you because of your thoughts, that all this is a projection of our consciousness!
Another book/movie, "What the bleep do we know", explains this very well.

Remember, our DNA only works 5%, the rest is dormant; We only use about 10% (give or take) or our mind. Imagine what we could do, be if we were able to function 100%!

I know what you are going to say: "Create something with your mind, then". But we do! People that walk on fire, that some how can shut off the pain receptors in their bodies; People that can last certain amount of days without food... and so on. And that is only with our DNA locked to its minimal potential. If we could find a way to unlock it, maybe we could do more in this "physical world"... maybe we could be like in our dreams, or when people alter their consciousness via drugs, dehydration or other techniques. ( A really good book is "supernatural" by Graham Hancock)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Im atheist because I feel like the thought of a god, is just silly. No other reason but logic.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What she is saying is that you are you because of your thoughts, that all this is a projection of our consciousness!
Why don't I have a bigger penis then?

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

LOL

You must have picked your parental units for other qualifications.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

LOL

You must have picked your parental units for other qualifications.
Next time I'll be sure to remember the big penis thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The brain serves as the bridge to the soul; the control center of the vessel, if you will. Think of the body as something like a robot, similar to Gundam or Power Ranger, which requires someone to operate it. Your soul is that someone.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

The brain serves as the bridge to the soul; the control center of the vessel, if you will. Think of the body as something like a robot, similar to Gundam or Power Ranger, which requires someone to operate it. Your soul is that someone.

I prefer Energy Consciousness.

Soul is too related to religion.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

Originally posted by signalfire
Whether you believe or not, your consciousness will still survive your physical death. Many scientific experiments have been done trying to disprove this (Scole Experiments, for one) and to their surprise, they found the opposite.
edit on 14-4-2012 by signalfire because: changed 'atheist' to 'lifelong atheist'
Would you have consciousness without a brain? If not, do you have a brain after you die? If you could have consciousness without a brain, how?
edit on 14-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)
The whole body is capable of receiving information, but the brain and heart are what typically interpret and translate that information for the body. Consciousness doesn't require either of those things to exist. NDEs and OBEs/Astral projection are evidence of us being able to leave our body, disconnected from the brain and so on. One could say that the body comes into existence because of consciousness, not usually the other way around because that would be a miracle.

If you view consciousness as a formless form of vibrating energy, then it can make sense that consciousness exists without a physical brain.
edit on 14/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

As one of the posters here has as a signature line: "We're not physical bodies having a spiritual experience, we're spiritual bodies having a physical experience."

It's all about the vibrational level. We here on earth vibrate within certain parameters. At death, we speed up and leave behind the heavy, slow physical body.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Have you ever seen a split-brained patient? When someone is prone to having seizures, one way to stop it is to cut a bundle of nerves called the corpus collosum. This separates the two hemispheres of the brain from each other, and puts an end to seizures. But, something interesting happens when that bundle of nerves is cut: the patient has two brains.

It is known that the left eye is connected to the right hemisphere, and the right eye is connected to the left hemisphere. A study was done on one of these patients, and when covering the right eye, he read a question on a monitor. "Do you believe in god?" and the patient said, "Yes." When covering the left eye and asking the same question, the patient said, "no." What happened to the soul at this point? Does it only reside in one portion of the brain now, the portion that says yes?

edit on 15-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

Originally posted by signalfire
Whether you believe or not, your consciousness will still survive your physical death. Many scientific experiments have been done trying to disprove this (Scole Experiments, for one) and to their surprise, they found the opposite.
edit on 14-4-2012 by signalfire because: changed 'atheist' to 'lifelong atheist'
Would you have consciousness without a brain? If not, do you have a brain after you die? If you could have consciousness without a brain, how?
edit on 14-4-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)
The whole body is capable of receiving information, but the brain and heart are what typically interpret and translate that information for the body. Consciousness doesn't require either of those things to exist. NDEs and OBEs/Astral projection are evidence of us being able to leave our body, disconnected from the brain and so on. One could say that the body comes into existence because of consciousness, not usually the other way around because that would be a miracle.

If you view consciousness as a formless form of vibrating energy, then it can make sense that consciousness exists without a physical brain.
edit on 14/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

I've had lots of obe's.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I'm not an atheist and like you OP, I have developed my own truth and enter these threads to learn from the exchange of information and sharing of links on topics I am interested in, such as alternative history of theology.

What I find infuriating are certain Christians who think that it is their duty to put up road blocks to civil discourse of topics that threaten their status quo. By insulting, mocking, attacking, distracting and derailing conversation, feigning condescending pity and knocking our irrelevant scripture, often times their actions result in the closing of the thread completely. This is acceptable behavior, IMO.

Yeah Verily !!! I do think the ATS Moderation should take note of the same.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I used to hang in pagan circles and have seen many amazing things which cannot be explained through ‘everyday’ science alone. I have seen fire created from nothing, called tiny little birds with my mind that have responded and landed on my shoulders/boots; and seen non-corporeal entities materialize before my eyes. No I did not have the foresight to post it on youtube to prove my claims but then I really don’t care whether others believe me or not.

There is far more to this universe than that which can be measured by today’s science, or seen with your eyes and other senses which themselves are merely tools with limitations.

Maybe because deep deep down you do not believe you can have a bigger penis……
Just sayin

edit on 15/4/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus

Originally posted by windword
I'm not an atheist and like you OP, I have developed my own truth and enter these threads to learn from the exchange of information and sharing of links on topics I am interested in, such as alternative history of theology.

What I find infuriating are certain Christians who think that it is their duty to put up road blocks to civil discourse of topics that threaten their status quo. By insulting, mocking, attacking, distracting and derailing conversation, feigning condescending pity and knocking our irrelevant scripture, often times their actions result in the closing of the thread completely. This is acceptable behavior, IMO.

Yeah Verily !!! I do think the ATS Moderation should take note of the same.

Me too, but I see some detrimental typo in there. It should read:

"By insulting, mocking, attacking, distracting and derailing conversation, feigning condescending pity and knocking OUT irrelevant scripture, often times their actions result in the closing of the thread completely. This is NOT acceptable behavior, IMO. "

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I called tiny little birds with my mind that have responded and landed on my shoulders

I had a little cottage that had a family of rats that walked along the rafters. I hated them! One day I realized that hate was not a good thing and probably not helping me or the rats.

So, I sat down and started meditating, and sending the rats love. BAD IDEA! One rate jumped off the beam and shimmied down the bookcase, running straight for me! Freaked me out. Maybe hating rats isn't so bad after all! HAHA!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Those who believe in God are compensating for something?

Like guys who drive big cars and really big guns?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join