It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist claims science more dangerous than religion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I am an atheist and I stand firmly on my position that there is no biblical god. But, there are atheists, like Richard Dawkins, that claim religion is dangerous, and that science is the way to the truth.

Well, religion didn't invent nuclear missiles; science did.
Religion didn't figure out how to make biological weapons; science did.
In the pre-technology era religious wars meant the killing of humans.
Today, through science and science alone we have the capability of destroying the entire planet in just one insane war.

Yes, I believe religion is downright stupid and for the weak-minded, but science is DANGEROUS!

I find it funny how the church once kept its silly, illogical secrets away from the common man, while science opened its doors wide so that now even a child can go online and learn how to make a chemical bomb. If you follow this youtube link, you'll find a kid making a bomb and warning other kids not to use this stuff in the house - because he tried it. Yeahhh, chemicals, science, and children. Isn't REAL knowledge just wonderful?!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
I am an atheist and I stand firmly on my position that there is no biblical god. But, there are atheists, like Richard Dawkins, that claim religion is dangerous, and that science is the way to the truth.

Today, through science and science alone we have the capability of destroying the entire planet in just one insane war.

Yes, I believe religion is downright stupid and for the weak-minded, but science is DANGEROUS!

I find it funny how the church once kept its silly, illogical secrets away from the common man, while science opened its doors wide so that now even a child can go online and learn how to make a chemical bomb. If you follow this youtube link, you'll find a kid making a bomb and warning other kids not to use this stuff in the house - because he tried it. Yeahhh, chemicals, science, and children. Isn't REAL knowledge just wonderful?!

www.youtube.com...

science has failed mankind in answering the question "where do we go when we die". Since that is not answered the collection of ancient text, psychics, prophets (now probably psychics) are all we have left . not so much as to the conformity of religious text (religion) turning religion in a billion dollar corporation (the original bank vatican). I am talking about a metaphysical/spiritual awakening
edit on 13-4-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Science isn't dangerous, mankind is.
Mankind doesn't have the intelligence and/or emotional smarts to stay out of trouble.
We're a self destructive bunch.....

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Science isn't dangerous, mankind is.
Mankind doesn't have the intelligence and/or emotional smarts to stay out of trouble.
We're a self destructive bunch.....

Science was birthed from mankind and was pushed forward through religion as well. Religion birthed science, i could argue this, but i rather not, dont want to derail.

Mankind created these things and are prone to imperfections

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
They are equally dangerous in the wrong hands. Its like comparing a sword and a gun.

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Science gives us the tools to destroy each other.

Religion gives us the reason.

Which is more dangerous?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yes some Science has killed a hell of a lot, but religion through wars, for instance some islamists, the spread of forced Christianity, and religious wars combined has also killed hundreds of thousands if not millions.

edit on 13-4-2012 by freewestray because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2012 by freewestray because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Science allowed for the creation of such devices, but it will be RELIGION that will CAUSE them to be used.

CONCLUSION: Religion IS IN FACT more dangerous than science.

And science surely had no influence of them STONING people and BURNING THEM AT THE STACK back in the days before LAWS were put in place to stop their PSYCHOPATH "righteous" ways.

If they were allowed to conduct such SICK TWISTED acts up to modern time, the death rate resulting from them would certainly be equivalent to the MASS DESTRUCTION caused by the devices developed through science...

...just like their biblical god and his MASS MURDERING ways...
edit on 13-4-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't think anyone has ever claimed science is harmless. Any technological progress comes with inherent risks. That is why we have things like the nuclear non proliferation treaty and strict regulations governing research ect...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Science has given use health care and medicine, which has made it possible for the population to grow exponentially. So up until now, it has been the most important reason why there are so many people in relative good health.

It may be the case that this will also be our downfall, but I think it is a bit premature to conclude this. But if anything, science has prolonged average life expectancy significantly. So I think that the premise in the OP is incorrect.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
science has failed mankind in answering the question "where do we go when we die". Since that is not answered the collection of ancient text, psychics, prophets (now probably psychics) are all we have left . not so much as to the conformity of religious text (religion) turning religion in a billion dollar corporation (the original bank vatican). I am talking about a metaphysical/spiritual awakening
edit on 13-4-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

Science have given us an answer, but many people don't like it. And therefore (among other reasons) choose to believe something more pleasing.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

What if we get hit by a kill shot from an asteroid. Mankind's fault because they sinned?

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Would science be inventiing bombs if there were no religions?

I think if the world had never been corrupted by religion there would be no need for bombs.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Science is fine, its the military/demented violent deviants that want to turn every invention into some damned death ray.....

edit on 13-4-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
They are equally dangerous in the wrong hands. Its like comparing a sword and a gun.

Right! Only it's more like comparing the difference between getting hit on the head with a rock or a ten ton meteor. lol

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-
Science have given us an answer, but many people don't like it. And therefore (among other reasons) choose to believe something more pleasing.

I can attest to this. I fight with myself on whether its better to be "asleep" and not worry so much about stuff or to be "awake". Being awake isn't pretty, but some part of me keeps nagging me to search for the truth. At the same time, I can remember when going with the status quot kept me in the loop with people and their not being so much hostility.

More on topic: A lot of the posts made me think. I think its mankind that is dangerous. This science vs religion is just another divide and conquer thing. Although I don't like religion, spirituality definitely has merits. Science definitely has some as well. Both can turn to the "dark side" so really they are just tools used by man, the wielder of a hammer decides if it is to be used against nails or skulls.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

To add to that my father died a horrible death from cancer I was the person holing his hand at the moment of death, years later a Christian said my Father died of cancer because he was a bad man, I now ****ing hate Christianity and all the lies it tells, of course the whole consept is based on a lie, your post makes things a little worse for Christians so I thank you for believing it.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
if you claim religion is for the week-minded, then atheism is for cowards.

it takes a strong mind and will to stand with God in this world. the complete opposite of a week mind. many, many people fail everyday at this.

but to run away and hide amongst the enemies of God so they leave you alone is the definition of week mindedness not to mention cowardness.

science proves God existence every day. just look at a strand of dna, or the laws of physics, or the universe, and say with a straight face it was all random or chaotic.
if anything, this world proves nothing happens by itself out of the blue. and since we, humans did not create the universe, or gravity, or mass, or energy, someone did.

we call that person God. and God spoke to man in its infancy and thru out our existence, guiding us.

we call those experiences religion.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Science gives us the tools to destroy each other.

Religion gives us the reason.

Which is more dangerous?

That was probably the best representation of science vs. religion I have ever seen. Kuddos(Star).
I would have to say the reason to kill one another is the real problem. No so much the means...

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-
But if anything, science has prolonged average life expectancy significantly. So I think that the premise in the OP is incorrect.

You speak of a "prolonged average life expectancy" as a good thing because you want to live as long as you can. Somehow nature gave each species an average life expectancy. We humans are supposed to kick the bucket at around forty years. So, science has pretty much doubled that.

Now consider what would happen if ANY OTHER species had done this. Doubling the lifespan of Mosquitoes means their numbers would increase exponentially. We wouldn't be able to step outside our door without being covered by netting. Bats eat mosquitoes, and with that much bat food available, bats would grow to be nasty little dragons. Double the lifespan of rabbits, rats and mice and they would carpet the entire world!

Right now, if the global economy collapses we'll see 7 BILLION hungry people running off into the woods to kill and eat everything that crawls, walks, or flies. So, maybe science didn't really do a good thing here.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join