It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the Greek Gods existed alongside Judaism/Christianity?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

What if the Greek/Mesopotamian/other cultures' Gods existed alongside Christianity?

I know it sounds really crazy but what have been pondering about this for a while

Here's a scenario: Thousands of Years ago before the Biblical Flood the Greek/Mesopotamian/other cultures' Gods ruled the World. Suddenly for a very mysterious reason they got wiped out an destructive events thats cause not only them to be wiped out but also causes the Flood Christianity and other cultures mentioned. The Gods were replaced by A God who eventually became the founder of various monotheistic religion such as Christianity and Judaism. In the Bible it mentions that sons of God coming into the world to mate with Human women and also said

heroes of old, the men of renown

What if they are the Greek/Mesopotamian/ Other Polytheistic Gods the ancient are talking about.

edit on 8-4-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

...I think (and I'm a Bible-believing Christian) that you're almost 100% correct. I believe that the fallen angels, who followed Satan after his expulsion from Heaven, were and are the gods of old. The God of the Bible didn't "replace" these gods - He existed before they did... and He created them. When the fallen angels came down to earth to have offspring with human women, they pronounced themselves as gods, and were accepted and worshipped as such.

There are many reputable Christian teachers who believe this. I'd recommend these videos:

www.prophecyinthenews.com...

www.prophecyinthenews.com...

...and plenty of others on that site, too. Some great Bible-based info there.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

What if the Greek/Mesopotamian/other cultures' Gods existed alongside Christianity?

I know it sounds really crazy but what have been pondering about this for a while.

They did and still do, we call them fallen angels. And demons are the unclean spirits of the offspring of the union between mankind and fallen angels from Genesis 6.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Put me down as a follower of Dionysus, drunken orgies was how they prayed to him.

Oh to be alive in those days

You could try the Canadian Arsonist Nudist cult from the 70's. I'm being honest here, if you're going to go the hell those two are the fun ways to go.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I wouldnt be going to hell even if it did exist.
Sure Im not religious but I am a good person, if getting into heaven requires sucking upto a god who could make the world a better place but chooses not to and who allows all sorts of atrocities to be committed in his name gotta be honest I dont think I wanna go.

If the god of the bible is real and all seeing, all knowing, all powerful do you really think hes gonna care if he gets any special attention from me? Im sure hed be happy if I followed his commandments without all the boot scraping and church going.

P.s I believe in reincarnation

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by vaelamin

In that verse God himself is speaking (“I said”) to the other elohim of that divine council, and he addresses them with the plural “you.” He says point-blank: “you are gods (elohim), all of you.” The fact that he is speaking to a group (plural elohim) is made certain even in the English, since God also calls them “sons of the Most High.”

"since God also calls them “sons of the Most High.”" ? so, god is not the most high ? if god calls them "sons of the most high", is god referring to himself/herself/itself ?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Sure Im not religious but I am a good person, if getting into heaven requires sucking upto a god who could make the world a better place but chooses not to and who allows all sorts of atrocities to be committed in his name gotta be honest I dont think I wanna go.

If the god of the bible is real and all seeing, all knowing, all powerful do you really think hes gonna care if he gets any special attention from me? Im sure hed be happy if I followed his commandments without all the boot scraping and church going.

The Pharisees were the most righteous, moral people on the face of the Earth.

1. "I'm a good person, not as bad as the next guy down the street who beats his wife."

Strike 1 ....

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

sons of the Most High,sons of God,sons of Elohim. He is talking about himself. Every translation is diffrent.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by vaelamin

In that verse God himself is speaking (“I said”) to the other elohim of that divine council, and he addresses them with the plural “you.” He says point-blank: “you are gods (elohim), all of you.” The fact that he is speaking to a group (plural elohim) is made certain even in the English, since God also calls them “sons of the Most High.”

"since God also calls them “sons of the Most High.”" ? so, god is not the most high ? if god calls them "sons of the most high", is god referring to himself/herself/itself ?

Elohim is NOT "Most High God" in Hebrew.

El Elyon is "Most High God"

"El" is "God" basically, the "him" or "hyim" ending make it a plural noun. (Cherub/Cherubim) Every time it's used in the OT it's a grammatical error in the Hebrew because it's always in the singular context.

Example: "sons of God" ---> Bene haElohyim

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Oh man Nut you have opened the gates. Atheist's are gonna be on you for that one>_>

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin
reply to post by icepack

Oh man Nut you have opened the gates. Atheist's are gonna be on you for that one>_>

Nothing new there. LOL Why would they be on me though, I have no idea, they can google it themselves.

edit on 9-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

No i meant the beating of the wife example.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

The Pharisees were the most righteous, moral people on the face of the Earth.

1. "I'm a good person, not as bad as the next guy down the street who beats his wife."

Strike 1 ....

Sorry dude but I dont understand your point or what your trying to say

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
IF there is a god (I say if because I am atheist, but I try to consider the possibility of scientific ''intelligent desing'''s theory), here what I think happened:
Look at a Mountain, lets say it's the Himalaya. If you are in China, You'll see the North side. If you're in India, you see its South side.
But it's the same Mountain.
What if it is the same thing with God? Look at one side, you see God and Satan. Look from Ancient Greek's side, they saw Zeus and Hades. Look from Scandinave's side, they see Odin and the Queen Hell.
Could not be it?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by rickymouse

The bible never says the sons of god died. It doesn't say who they are either. Talk about a cliff hanger.

That's because we are the sons of God, destined to die a mortal death without Christ our King.

Interesting theory. I've never met any humans who have sat in council with Yahweh in heaven though.
Genesis 6:2
Job 1:6, 38:7
Psalm 29:1, 82

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by rickymouse

The bible never says the sons of god died. It doesn't say who they are either. Talk about a cliff hanger.

That's because we are the sons of God, destined to die a mortal death without Christ our King.

Interesting theory. I've never met any humans who have sat in council with Yahweh in heaven though.
Genesis 6:2
Job 1:6, 38:7
Psalm 29:1, 82

When you accept Christ as your King, your spirit changes and you become a son of God and Christ's spirit comes to dwell in you and guides you and also protects you from demonic spirits, the spirits of the dead nephilim who often times try to take over your body by possession. However you are still stuck in your corrupted flesh, and your flesh does not get remade until resurrection day and then you are resurrected into a body like the angels have. Until then you sleep and wait for the resurrection and your breath of life returns to God.

Ofcourse some denominations argue that you go to heaven immediately upon death if that is your destination, but scripture indicates you sleep until the resurrection and the first resurrection happens at the harpazo event (rapture).

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by vaelamin

No i meant the beating of the wife example.

Its an illustration, I don't want folks to focus and chew on the allegorical they will completely miss the literal. Forget the beat the wife comment.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

your close to the truth. I believe this also, expect that God created all these lower gods, and He didn't "win" out as the one true God. He always was the one truth God and created everything. We can see Him through His Son Jesus Christ. GOD manifested in the flesh.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

I have.

And so have other true Christians. Want the Bible verses that prove this?

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Sure... shoot... But I think the "Sons of God" in the OT refer to the lesser Gods that Yahweh created, and you mention.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

We have an old proverb "The road to hell is paved with the best of intentions". I'll let you ponder the meaning of that, and it applies outside of the religious world.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join