It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the Greek Gods existed alongside Judaism/Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What if the Greek/Mesopotamian/other cultures' Gods existed alongside Christianity?

I know it sounds really crazy but what have been pondering about this for a while

Here's a scenario: Thousands of Years ago before the Biblical Flood the Greek/Mesopotamian/other cultures' Gods ruled the World. Suddenly for a very mysterious reason they got wiped out an destructive events thats cause not only them to be wiped out but also causes the Flood Christianity and other cultures mentioned. The Gods were replaced by A God who eventually became the founder of various monotheistic religion such as Christianity and Judaism. In the Bible it mentions that sons of God coming into the world to mate with Human women and also said

heroes of old, the men of renown

What if they are the Greek/Mesopotamian/ Other Polytheistic Gods the ancient are talking about.

edit on 8-4-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
People follow celebritys. People love mike jordan because he could play
A game. Frank Sinatra because he could sing.
Sports and entertainment. Jesus walked on water and raised the
Dead. Just touch his robe and Bam your healed.Jesus turned water into
Wine. Jesus was a rock star. Were his miracles common? Why would
Only a few people follow him? Some even questioned him.
Oprah only had a show, yet people follow her like she is a
Messiah. Were their other gods doing the same miracles?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

That would be very strange, it would be like one huge, giant soap opera lol.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
How's about they all got together and saw that a multiple god society was fighting against each other in their chosen deitys names
So they decided to trick us into a single god society
The early Jews say
But out of the 3 main gods being Zeus poseidon and hades ( but can replace with early roman god structure )
One of them feels a bit left out wants a bit more attention - thus Christianity, the symbol of the fish ?..... poseidon?
Well hades can't be left out so he springs Islam
Why not
Still the single god idea but twisted through old rivalry like the ancient tales of old lol
edit on 8-4-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Put me down as a follower of Dionysus, drunken orgies was how they prayed to him.

Oh to be alive in those days

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

All hail Dionysus
My kinda god
What a guy

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
"God was an astronaut."

All stories/religions around the world (most of which were stamped out/forgotten and not practised anymore) are telling some of the same things but from different perspectives. The Greco-Roman pantheon is one such perspective, as is the stories from Sumeria and Egypt.

They did things like have children with humans producing "heroes", or nephilim, like Heracles (Hercules).

The flood isn't a Biblical-only story. It's told in other cultures all around the world, some of which predate the Bible.

But anyway, the practice of polytheism got overrun by Christian (Roman) and Islamic conquerors. But since the watchers (most likely also the Greek, Egyptian, etc., gods, ) died out or left, people began to believe in them less and less, and then comes the monotheistic religions that existed around the same time (Zoroastrianism, Judaism, etc.) telling of a god that is much less anthropormorphised (at least in the New Testament), which is easier to sell to people who seek to believe in something omnipotent. Romans and Muslims rose to power and invaded other countries. It's all politics - wanting to rule the world.

The watchers that mated with Terran females must have been flesh and blood to have mated - they were as mortal as us, only more advanced.

Judaism and by proxy Christianity and Islam were all influenced by earlier religions such as Zoroastrianism, Egyptian mysticism, and so on. It's an ever-changing story, but nothing really interesting happened recently except Mormonism. lol Which was also inspired by an ET, much like all the ancient religions of the world.
edit on 8/4/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The bible never says the other gods were destroyed with the flood. The Bible says Jesus is the son of god, but according to the bible he isn't the only one that existed. Maybe a lot of time had gone by and the earlier sons of god had died. Even immortal gods die eventually. I haven't a clue about the life expectancy of gods. I don't know what angels are either. Maybe some day I'll know.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Which were the Gods that were still alive?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Um...NO.

All those gods were based on 2 people. Nimrod and his wife/mother Semiramis. Even before them there was only One God. They were the ones who began the polytheistic dynasties and pantheons of gods. It started even before the tower of Bab'El. This is when man began to think he could create his own way to heaven, his own path to YHWH. In prophetic language Babylon represents man's way to God just as Egypt in prophetic language means falling back into your old ways. In truth those gods never existed, this was man worshipping himself as his own god and is where Atheism and humanism was truly born from...man becomming his own god.

christmasxmas.xanga.com...

Perhaps this link may shed a little light for you.
edit on 8-4-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The bible never says the sons of god died. It doesn't say who they are either. Talk about a cliff hanger.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

The bible never says the sons of god died. It doesn't say who they are either. Talk about a cliff hanger.

That's because we are the sons of God, destined to die a mortal death without Christ our King.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Battlestar

Galactica

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well, if all the gods of history, and pre-history were incarnate and living among us, me thinks it'd be pretty confusing.

I'm down with some All-father Odin. I'm down with some Ganesh. I'm down with the 9 celestial dragons.
If Zeus wanted to change himself into a bull, a swan, or any other thing as he so often seems want to do and come seduce me, I'd be down with that too, even though I'm not that kind of kinky.

It'd be quite interesting.

Instead of nations like Germany, Australia, USA, Russia, and China, these powerful beings would have territories staked out around the globe.
Egypt might be the territory of Ra where it's borders are held only to whatever extent Ra can hold and define them against other gods, while Marduk holds sway over 'Persia', and other such.

Methinks our globe would be filled with quite the bit more melodrama, with lots of over over over acting like World Wrestling Federation guys, and, there'd be quite the bit more war going on.

Methinks we'd get so tired of the gods and all their petty squabbling, we'd get to a point where we'd unite, rise up, kick them in the bum and tell them to stfu and get offa this planet.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I'll believe in the greek gods when they can accurately predict the beginning to the end and give me the entire story in a book known as The Holy Bible.

Until then I'll worship YHVH-The Most High Spirit-Christ

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Iason321

How about the Norse gods? They've got a very beginning, a beginning even before the gods, and they've got an ending similar to your armageddon, but, instead of fire, it starts with 3 solid unbroken years of ICE.

When you die with the Norse, you get to party and fight and drink and fight and diddle with valkaries for all of eternity. No bowing and scraping to some pompous punishing self entitled upstart in a robe on a throne that doesn't even want you to acknowledge you have genitals, is required.

edit on 8-4-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

I gotta go back to Norse heaven, it was better up there in Dollar Bay

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I'm just gonna throw this out there, but the Old Testament Yahweh was very intolerant of those who worshiped other gods, because it made him jealous.

I've never understood why, presuming he was the only god around, he couldn't give signs of his existence that the other gods(due to not existing) couldn't match. Why other gods seemed more viable to different groups in the OT, when a single god could easily establish himself as being the only one.

Take from that what you will. However, I think the form of speculation in this topic is mostly pointless, so I'm not gonna go into the discussion of what could be extrapolated out of that little tidbit.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The whole point of Judeo-Christian thinking is there isn't a multiplicity of "gods", that would invalidate what Christians and Jews believe, that there is only one God who has ever existed, and all those that people worship aren't really gods at all. They are either man made ideas, or beings under God that are worshipped as if they are the supreme deity. Isaiah 44:6-20 is an example of God making the declaration that He is the one true God, and in this case He is chastising Israel for worshipping man-made idols.

In short, you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. I have thought some of the same ideas myself in the past, but after reading the Bible I had to realize it can't be both ways. In monotheistic thinking, it's either all or nothing. But good idea though!

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

www.thedivinecouncil.com...

A psalm of Asaph. 1 God (elohim) stands in the divine council (literally, council of El); among the gods (elohim) He pronounces judgment.

2 How long will you (plural) judge unjustly, showing favor to the wicked? Selah.

3 Judge the wretched and the orphan, vindicate the lowly and the poor,

4 rescue the wretched and the needy; save them from the hand of the wicked.

5 They neither know nor understand, they go about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth totter.

6 I said, “you (plural) gods (elohim), sons of the Most High (beney Elyon), all of you (plural);

7 but you (plural) shall die as men do, fall like any prince.

8 Arise (the command is singular), O God (elohim), judge (the command is singular) the earth, for you (singular) shall inherit all the nations.

Despite the fact that it makes people uncomfortable, the text means what it says.

In Psalm 82:1, the first elohim must be singular, since the Hebrew grammar has the word
as the subject of a singular verb. The second elohim must be plural, since the preposition
in front of it (“in the midst of”) requires more than one. You can’t be “in the midst of”
one person. And according to Psalm 82:1, the singular God (elohim) of Israel presides
over an assembly or council of other gods (elohim).
Verse six makes it perfectly clear
that these other elohim are the sons of the God of Israel. In that verse God himself is
speaking (“I said”) to the other elohim of that divine council, and he addresses them with
the plural “you.” He says point-blank: “you are gods (elohim), all of you.” The fact that
he is speaking to a group (plural elohim) is made certain even in the English, since God
also calls them “sons of the Most High.” I made the observation above that the Hebrew
word for angels is mal’akim (literally, “messengers”), an entirely different term than
occurs for the sons of God. If one still insisted against the inspired textual evidence that
the two should be identified, you’d still need to explain why angels are called gods in
light of Psalm 82:6.

The bible Doctor explains it well.
edit on 8-4-2012 by vaelamin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join