It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ostension and 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
In an article in Smithsonian magazine
www.smithsonianmag.com...

Is an interesting situation in which fake data becomes real data in the minds of the believer.

The article deals with crop circles and in part states

Today, one of the more vigorously promoted ideas is that they are messages, buried in complex numerological codes, concerning a Great Change connected to the pre-Columbian Mayan calendar and due to occur in 2012.

Later the article states

False evidence intended to corroborate an existing legend is known to folklorists as “ostension.” This process also inevitably extends the legend. For, even if the evidence is eventually exposed as false, it will have affected people’s perceptions of the phenomenon it was intended to represent. Faked photographs of UFOs, Loch Ness monsters and ghosts generally fall under the heading of ostension.

This is what happens with the hoax of 2012. We have ostension.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

We have ostension.
reply to post by stereologist

No, no, SOME have ostension. Not all.

Furthermore, i fully agree with this. If you want to believe something bad enough, you will find ways to make it true.

vvv

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The type of ostension:
1. Acting out
2. pseudo-ostension
3. quasi-ostension

When people act out ostension they form groups or act as individuals to do things like "evolve", "reach a higher frequency", "take cell phone photos of the Sun", and so forth.

This is where people pretend to act out these items. They simply claim that they are vibrating or they claim to have seen something in the sky or they claim to have heard a sound emanating from the Earth, etc.

This is where people use odd claims to explain things they do not understand. They claim ley lines explain quakes, or they suggest an unknown planet kills animals, or they suggest that Hopi lore explains a solar flare, etc.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
You can call it the way you want to call.

But you can't deny the record high temperatures for the month of March in cities like Chicago or Toronto. In wich year? Well, the year is 2012...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

So what you're saying is that it's doomsday for only North America? The rest of the world is at an appropriate temperature and heat waves happen. How exactly can you tie this into some made up claims about 2012. This post proves exactly what was said in the OP.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Along with the ability to create false memories, adherence to confirmation bias, and all of the other devilishly remarkable things a human brain can do I can only imagine what this year has in store for us.

This, the year of the meme. Makes me think back to Mckenna's predictions.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

False evidence intended to corroborate an existing legend is known to folklorists as “ostension.”

But what about real evidence for which there are no answers?

Mass Die-offs increasing?

An all-time Record temperatures for this month of March?

Weather extremes increasing?

Sounds in the sky?

Not saying it has anything to do with 2012 though. But it doesn't look good.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

So there are high temperatures now. OK.

What do you think that means?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

But what about real evidence for which there are no answers?

Mass Die-offs increasing?

An all-time Record temperatures for this month of March?

Weather extremes increasing?

Sounds in the sky?

Not saying it has anything to do with 2012 though. But it doesn't look good.

Mass die offs are not uncommon. As much as we want to pretend that nature takes care of its own, that is not often true. One of the easiest mass die offs to track over time are whale beachings. They have been written about for a long time. Squid die offs are not rare, but they are not as cuddly as mammals.

What do you think a heat wave in March means?

What do you think sounds in the sky means?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Mass die offs are not uncommon.

True. However, the numbers have increased and that is uncommon.

Example / Dolphins

What do you think a heat wave in March means?

I wish I knew. We had july weather here last week. It screws up the crops and flora now that it's back under the freezing point. An all-time record for the whole month is everything but common. But I do not know the reason why.

What do you think sounds in the sky means?

Aside from the hoaxes and copycats, there are different theories. Again, I wish I knew.

Back to you Stereologist. What do YOU think they mean?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

There are many, many strange things going on in the whole world this year.

Those record high temperatures in the USA anda Canada are only one of those things, and one that nobody can deny, and nobody can say is not meaningful.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

True. However, the numbers have increased and that is uncommon.

It seems this is the "... largest beaching by a single species in history. ". That is what the article states. So my question is what is the largest beaching ever.

If we look over the statements in this wiki article we see that this is not new and that there are about 2000 stranded whales a year.
en.wikipedia.org...

I'll keep looking for numbers of beachings

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Does this apply to all conspiracies...eg.. 911 truthers, JFK assasination, pearl harbor, gulf of tonka, bay of pigs...etc if so then I am ostensioned out.. And does this have anything to do with Joel olstien?
You can explain everything as a phsycosymatic overload that is until proven, if you believe something without proof it is considered FAITH or ostension. You just have to pick how crazy you wanna be.
IMHO everyone on ATS is ostensioned about something or they would not be on this site.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The heat waves are normal weather for the Earth as a whole. Back in 1923 there were 160 days in a row for 100+F temperature. That's a record that still stands together. That makes me shrivel just thinking about it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
The heat waves are normal weather for the Earth as a whole. Back in 1923 there were 160 days in a row for 100+F temperature. That's a record that still stands together. That makes me shrivel just thinking about it.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yep, and those heat waves happen "every year" right?

Look: a very rare phenomenom that only happens once per century "decides" to happen EXACTLY in 2012, the year of the "Mayan hype", and that has "no meaning" at all. Yeah, right, I have no doubt you will think that way. But not me, thanks.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Summer in March: more all-time March temperature records in U.S., Canada

Summer in March continued for the eighth day yesterday, toppling dozens of records for hottest March day in both the U.S. and Canada. Nearly every major airport in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula tied or set records for their hottest March temperature, including Detroit (82°), Flint (84°F), Saginaw (83°F), Grand Rapids (83°), Muskegon (82°), Lansing (83°), Alpena (84°), Gaylord (80°), Pellston (84°), Traverse City (86°), and Houghton Lake (81°). Most of these records will be broken again today or tomorrow. Detroit’s current string of six days over 70° is unprecedented so early in the year. One has to go back over 125 years to find an early-season warm spell that compares, and even that streak occurred in April, a full month later (April 16 – 24, 1886.)

source: www.worldweatherpost.com...

Welcome to 2012.

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

What about the massive snowfall we had a few years back? What about in 1927 when the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota changed from -4F to 45F in the course of two minutes? Or what about later that same day when the temperature dropped from 54F back to -4F in the course of 27 minutes? Why does a heat wave that has broken mean anything more than these other weather anomalies? I'll tell you why. Because you have bought into the cult of 2012 and are now looking for any reason to justify that belief. In other words you are demonstrating ostension.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

But i guess it goes both ways, doesn't it ?
means if one doesn't want to believe it will find all the evidence supporting that and thus under Ostension again.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Exactly. 2012 is all hype. What does a heat wave have to do with made-up prophecies, misinterpreted data, and outright lies? Weird weather happens every year. The only reason you are picking up on this heat wave is because you have been conditioned to think 2012 is special.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You are just making this stuff up, come on you all have been ostensioned and there is nothing to all of the wierd things going on. It is all in your head ...it is not really happening....didn't you read the OP?
Wake up and don't worry it will be quick and painless....Put your head back into the sand of normalicy.
You have to quit thinking about things soooo much.
Good Luck and all of these signs are wrong and we should just accept it. I will see you after my shelter opens in 2015.
Sincerely,
GW Bush

lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join