It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Mariana Trench (Photos and Video)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The Marina Trench has been in the news because of James cameron's recent trip there.....This is a fascinating place! We know so little of our own planet, and in my opinion, should be explored much more than it is. We know more about the moon than we do of our own oceans.... So here are a couple of great videos with information on the trench, and below that, are some images from a past dive and of some of the creatures who live there.The videos are from a few years ago, but they are very interesting.... and until Cameron releases his findings, this is what we know and have seen down there so far.
To give some perspective this diagram shows how deep the trench is

Now.....the videos....

This first one is about the first dive down there....the Trieste....it's amazing! They thought they would die because when they got to the deep depths, the sub started groaning from the pressure.....scary stuff!

These are videos about the trench....

Below are some photos of some of the life down there.....

No word on what James Cameron may have seen in his recent dive to the deepest part of the ocean, but here are some of the creatures that have been photographed in past dives.

check out some of the creatures that live at the deepest part of our planet. These images were taken on one of the most recent dives into the trench (2008). There has been only 3 dives down (two unmanned and one manned), which makes these images a very rare sight.

The Mariana Trench is the deepest part of the world's oceans, and the lowest elevation of the surface of the Earth's crust. It is currently estimated to be up to 10,971 m (35,994 ft) deep. It is located in the western Pacific Ocean, to the east of the Mariana Islands.

One more thing....check out these giant "amoebas" found in the trech.....

Imagine one of these guys, but more than 100 times bigger. That's what scientists found at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, the deepest known part of the world's oceans.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

I can't wait to see if Cameron was able to learn more....I guess we shall see!

edit on 3/26/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/26/2012 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Nice posting. I, too, am excited to see what Cameron comes out with (hopefully he will lol)

The dumbo octopus, for some reason, has always made me smile. He just looks hilarious.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

I know! It almost looks like it could be a child's toy! Cute....

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Deep sea fish are scary looking! The other deep sea life is cute but those fish are the stuff of horror movies!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Nice thread Kat!

Like the little dumbo octopus also,he would make a cute little squeaky toy for the kids tub.
Oops,see you stated that before.

What also amazes me is that it's not the thinnest part of the earth's crust.
edit on 26-3-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Some are scary, some are cute, and some look like living electricity flashing colored lights.....it's just amazing. Imagine what else could be down there that we HAVEN'T seen yet!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

This is a perfect example of why there just has to be life in outer space! The extreme conditions at which life can thrive even on our own planet is amazing; from cellular life to complex organisms like the ones above.

S&F

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks Kdog! I wish I could have one for a pet.....too cute. I wonder if Cameron will release any film he got, or if he will make a movie and get richer from it? Silly question huh?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

Exactly.....they live in an environment that would crush us instantly. I think any life out there in the universe may resemble some of these life forms.....not like us. Who knows what they would look like.....but my guess is they would be nothing like us!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Wonderful thread StealthyKat..I noticed all the fish that live that deep have weird mouths and nasty looking teeth very scary looking!
The dumbo octopus is just adorable..I cant wait to see what new things Cameron is able to photograph this should be very interesting..S&F peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Thanks Sugar! You know when I think about it, I think about what type of huge creatures with those teeth could be lurking there! We have seen the small ones, but I think there could be some "BIG" surprises down there! I would be terrified to go down there in a tiny submarine, not know what could be down there....Hats off to the brave people who went there!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Gives me the heebie jeebies some of those beasties. No idea if it's the same angler fish but it looks very similar if it isn't.

"Stare at my glowing blue protuberance, all you can see is the glowing blue protuberance...relaaaaxxxx..."

*shudders*

ETA I know they need special subs down there due to the enormous pressure at that depth which makes it all the more weird that some of the beasties look decidedly soft and rubbery. If that was us we'd be nothing but...jelly? Crushed into the size of a sugarlump? Brrrr!
edit on 26/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I don't know much about the oceans but i don't think there going to find any huge creatures down there i would think the lack of oxygen would keep anything from growing huge..But im probley wrong just a thought that ran through my head like i said i don't know anything about this subject..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This is an excellent thread, SK! I really enjoyed it.

In-fact, I just shared this with several people that I was discussing the very topic with today. Coworkers that normally have no interest in things like this heard about Cameron and suddenly found interest.

Anyway, S&F for an extremely well put together post. I liked how the photos that you chose have the depth where these creatures live. Very cool!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

"Stare at my glowing blue protuberance, all you can see is the glowing blue protuberance...relaaaaxxxx..."

Pretty creepy huh? That was hilarious!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Thank you! I am so interested in anything unknown.....and we have so much to learn about the Earth's Oceans. I can't imagine not being interested in these types of things....it's amazing!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Those creatures are amazing! All I can say is "Wow" . Got to love this world, so much to see.

I did kind of think they looked like the newest Pokemon figures. Especially the Dumbo Octopus.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
WoW!! great pics!! Thanks S.C.

The Scaly dragonfish is a thing of nightmares!!

This world never stops astonding me.

In a few of the "fish" pictures and a few others that I've seen, I've noticed the deep water fish have a major under bite. As if their lower jaw extends further than the top jaw. I wonder why this is and what atvantage this jaw style has over the others.
hmmmmm.........

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here is how it looks and sounds down there.....spooky!

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Found some more pics of the life down there....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join