It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine Corps Fielding More IAR's In Place Of SAW's.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I felt the same way about the M60 now they have a modified version that doesn't overheat quickly.308 is the best caliber in the field.One hit and they don't get up.
edit on 13-3-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: didn't finish my statement

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
As a recent former Marine as well (got out in '09), I am also dumbfounded by this move. I loved carrying the SAW. Yeah, its a bit heavier than the M14A4, but so much more fun to shoot
The whole point of having a Squad Automatic Weapon is to suppress the enemy so your squad can maneuver. I also would have loved to have an IAR, to REPLACE my M16A4, but NOT the SAW! That'd be like replacing our Cobra's with Heuy's, sure, they can sort of handle the same combat role if outfitted right, but a AH1 will do it SO much better!

Semper Fi!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Anyone think that perhaps this was just a means of the USMC doing a bit of maneuvering to replace their M16s and M4s with a more effective weapon and skirting the politics of doing so? I mean, how many times has the US military tried and failed to replace their M4/16? All they would need to do is buy as many IARs as they can get their hands on, keep the SAWs in service and phase out some of their current service rifles; presto, more firepower and reliability, no fuss.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I just got out of the Corps recently and one of my buddies is a machine gunner who's had the chance to fire the M27. It hasn't been fully implemented for him yet. One thing he said he liked is the weight. It's pretty light and doesn't kill to lug around on humps. He said it's really accurate. Overall he'd rather take the IAR. Some well placed rounds down range will suppress your target just as well as a wall of lead.

And also if you think about it the M27 looks similar to other infantry weapons. The enemy won't be able to specifically target your machine gunner.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
He who does not innovate does not lead.

I'm so tired of seeing weapon systems based off the m-16/Ar-15...ad nauseum. Are there anymore innovative designs? yeesh. I do give FNH knods they are probably the most innovative and maker of the SAU. I personally own a flu compliment of their weapons and I would take them over an HK any day. HK is nice but over engineered..HEAVY...and clunky as hell...ever tote a MK-23 SOCOM Bad move Marine Corps.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I completely agree. Why fix something that isn't broken? The SAW has been the perfect weapon of choice for a while and there is no need to change that. Ours haven't gotten replaced yet and I really hope they don't.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Replace the M249 if a better weapon that fits it's purpose exists and can be purchased in mass at a low enough of a price. but to replace it with a weapon that is clearly a versatile assault rifle not a LMG is just stupid and dangerous. People could get killed in an ambush or while trying to maneuver because they don't have anything that will suppress or pin down the enemy so that the guys can run in the open if need be or extract themselves. LMG guns exist for a reason. The IAR is not designed for that purpose so why the hell are they using it to replace the SAW(249)? it doesn't even fulfill that function that it's replacing nor intended to, so WTF was behind this decision.

MONEY and some back office back scratching deals i suspect.

The IAR would be a good choice for replacing the m16. Maybe the M4. the M4 is great because it's tiny and light. But, the M16 although good, could be replaced well by this thing. I feel it's probably more accurate, durable and probably more modular and versatile than the old M16.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
maybe they are planning to go with some of the new type weapons in the future
something that might make the tactical use for the SAW obsolete
like the pain microwave weapons or similar...or worse

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm glad to see there are others out there who agree with me. As a former automatic rifleman prior to being a team leader then squad leader I have a special love for the SAW. It is one heck of a weapon and there surely is no need to replace it. If there was you would here Marines and Soldiers complaining about it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join