It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P. Diddy proclaims "black power" on national TV. Was it racist?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think racism has got a lot better, i'm white and me and my mates grew up listening to 2pac and gangster rap, even in the 80's my primary school was a bit racist (only one black kid), i have completely changed my views on other races, football has also helped i think. Even though there has been recent racist cases in football, on a whole it has been a good thing.
I think the power of all races combined, we could do amazing things.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I know that was a long winded reply and so i'll try to wind it up:

I think there are lots of us that have been wound up through and over and under both sides of this fence, but if we let our knee-jerk anger get the best of us and just lash out from some imagined personal injury then we just enhance this controlled separation. Meaning that we won't continue the discussion. Will the discussion get heated? Yes. Will it have many points of view? Yes.BUT IF WE LET IT CONTINUE... will there be understanding? YES! This is an IMPORTANT thread because the conversation is continuing. And maybe ...just maybe...if allowed the time it could get to the "understanding stage" where we mutually discover we have all been played into this "separatness" and realize how alike we really are.

Can you imagine the power THAT would bring TO ALL OF US ?

These days are too critical to us all to be played by some two bit entertainer that uses "trigger words" to get us arguing back and forth. Let us all see it for what it is, a play to kepp us fighting each other instead of uniting with each other. And that, I think, is our biggest challenge. The Constitution (now) speaks of all of us. Can we not find that as common ground and unite in way that has never been done before? I think we can. I think so.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alyssa
America rather worship thugs like P-Diddy instead of true smart black men and women. This right here is why black culture is falling apart. Soon as you turn on the TV black channels like BET promote a thug-life style for men and degrade women into ghetto trash existence. American media tells young blacks THIS IS ALL YOU CAN BECOME. A bunch of thugs and/or stereotypical basketball players. American society doesn't want young blacks to advance in any other areas in life.

America is evil. A disgusting evil society that manipulates all cultures into becoming trash. (Ever notice black outside of America don't act like American thug trash? Go to Japan you'll see a few out standing Black people who don't cry or play the shame game). This post sounds cold but I'm just sick of how American society destroys other peoples culture. Soon as a strong minded S-Korean woman comes to America she ends up tainted by America.

But that is why ALL of American culture is falling apart: It's not just the TV assault on black culture ,it's also the degredation of white culture (Redneck Weddings, Swampthing,omg:anyfatguywithaloudmouthTV???), Native Amerian ( oh let's gamble) Asian( Ifyou can't kick ass like Jet Li or "get"anime you can't do what??) And what aqbout the level of education in our schools??? What AREN'T they teaching??? oh well maybe Civics, grammar, history, current events, the list goes on... And it's not just black schools, it's white, it's all over the board. My point being ANYONE can embrace a vision, a passion, set a goal, and achieve way beyond all the standard expectations. it's possible. Now what if we ALL got over our collective boo-ies and KICKED SOME ASS?Now that would be something, and for once the history books would get it right.

It's not about race, hasn't been in a long time. It's about ALL OF US AS AMERICANS. If we can unite and take that up, well, ya know. It won't be pretty in the short term but what do we want for our kids?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharpenmycleats

Outkast Searcher is like some Orwellian spokesperson- war is peace and all that, in his strange world, pointing out a racist statement, is, erm racist, somebody like that is beyond help, like I say total putty in the wrong hands

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by goinglocodowninacapulco

Racism is still there, and in the UK, it often involves white victims

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
but P.Diddy is far from racist. .

The dude didn't pay his massive back taxes and so the government prosecuted.
He's claiming it's because he's black and not because he's delinquent in paying massive taxes.
The guy is a bigot and/or racist.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Ahhhh but you gotta admit those are some badass kicks!
I would LOVEEE to get me some

On topic:
Diddy's not as bad as Kanye, but he's def'ly no stranger to this kind of nonsense.
Personally, I'm not offended by it and I think it just makes him look and sound like a tool-
doesn't send a good message to the kiddos though.
and I'm really surprised the media hasn't picked up on this yet- I'm sure someone will get to it eventually.

oh yeah...
and...
WHITE POWER!

(sarcasm!)

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Yeah.

Black power.

White power.

Yellow power.

Brown power.

How about all you uneducated humans encourage 'Power to the People.'

Of course not, that won't sell you crappy rap records.

It's no wonder I listen to Devin Townsend and Meshuggah.

It isn't about racial power, it's about finding out who 'you' are as a Human.

P. Diddy was never a hero of mine, and never will be,

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This is a silly thread as what Diddy was saying was a build up to Chase's dunk. Poor choice of words but not racist as it was part of the act.

Wake up white America. Jeez.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
This is a silly thread as what Diddy was saying was a build up to Chase's dunk. Poor choice of words but not racist as it was part of the act.

Wake up white America. Jeez.

What has saying it in a build up to Chase's dunk go to do with whether it was a racist comment or not.

Poor choice of words can be racist, clearly this was.

How about you wake up instead of asking every white American man women and child to wake up purely on the colour of their skin?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
reply to post by Afterthought

Ahhhh but you gotta admit those are some badass kicks!
I would LOVEEE to get me some

On topic:
Diddy's not as bad as Kanye, but he's def'ly no stranger to this kind of nonsense.
Personally, I'm not offended by it and I think it just makes him look and sound like a tool-
doesn't send a good message to the kiddos though.
and I'm really surprised the media hasn't picked up on this yet- I'm sure someone will get to it eventually.

oh yeah...
and...
WHITE POWER!

(sarcasm!)

Those shoes look like something a 5 year old would think is cool. Aside from that, P. Diddy is a has been nobody. It is like if Vanilla Ice said something racist, who would really care?

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

What has saying it in a build up to Chase's dunk go to do with whether it was a racist comment or not.

Poor choice of words can be racist, clearly this was.

How about you wake up instead of asking every white American man women and child to wake up purely on the colour of their skin?

It might have been racist to you but a lot of other folks, whites included, do not view this as racist.

Anyway, if it hurts you so badly, ask P Diddy for an apology.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by martianmallow

Here is the opinion of a Puerto Rican (ME)

From the dictionary:
Black power: A movement in support of rights and political power for black people

In his use of the phrase he says Black Power among other cliche's. Not only is he using the phrase in a meaningless way, he is also using a phrase that when spoken meaningfully would be a good thing.

Or does anybody here think giving every race an equal amount of rights and political power is "racist"?

-rrr

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
It might have been racist to you but a lot of other folks, whites included, do not view this as racist.

They would be wrong then, deluded if you will- if you say "black power" you are calling for, erm, a race to have power, you are indulging in racism. You are dehumanising people and treating them as groups and not individuals.

If somebody, white or otherwise, wants to pretend it isn't racist so be it, but it clearly is

Anyway, if it hurts you so badly, ask P Diddy for an apology.

Two points,

* me pointing out he made a racist statement does not mean I am hurting badly *though it seems to hurt some people who like to pretend it was not racist)

* Even if I wanted an apology, which I don't, the man is a clown, how would this work, I live in the UK, should I abandon my family, work etc and fly to America and just stalk the man in the hope of getting a word with him- nah, don't think I'll bother, appreciate the suggestion like

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

yes, it treats people as racial groups, not individuals, so if you want to support this racist stance, it is up to you

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Anytime you bring race into an equation, you are being a racist plain and simple. And before anyone bites off my head, I am half native american, so I am allowed to be racist, unlike white people

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Anytime you bring race into an equation, you are being a racist plain and simple. And before anyone bites off my head, I am half native american, so I am allowed to be racist, unlike white people

very good, *sticks on cowboy hat*

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Maybe he was making the statement that black people have power in the fact that more are becoming owners of their own media networks instead of just showmen on the majority white owned networks. While I do think that Diddy could have put it better, it is symbolic of the struggle that still goes on for blacks in this country to gain ground even though we have a part black president.
The majority of what you see, hear and read is controlled by old rich white men who have no idea or no thought to care about issues that are of importance to minorities unless it is to sway a perception in one direction or another. With the advent of wealth through entertainment, people like Diddy and Tyler Perry are following Oprah and Magic Johnson into the realm of Robert L. Johnson (even though he sold out to Viacom in 2003) but with a more accurate depiction of what black people want and need.
Remember that no matter what people say about how far we have come in this country as far as race relations, black people have had a 400 yr handicap in all social areas and are just now really starting to play the game on a even playing field and all without reparations.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

It was a silly thing to say, but P.Diddy is far from racist. He's signed white acts, dated non-black women and keeps company with whites. I think he was just in the moment and said that to promote his new TV network.
www.mtv.com...
I'm guessing it's going to be more hip-hop/rap/r&b oriented. These are musical genres that are predominately black. Perhaps this why he said it. He shouldn't have said it, but I was thinking there might have been a reason why.

Enable much.....???

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

There is a huge difference in wanting to improve yourself through hard work and merit versus wanting to improve your lot in life through oppression and violence.

"Black power" has always been used in the context of wanting equality to govern oneself, instead of having someone else claim they have the right to govern you without merit, based on skin color.

If "White power" was historically used in the context of white people wanting to improve themselves through their own merit, without unjust oppression and violence, the term itself would not be offensive. If America's white people want to change the context of "white power" to encourage white people to be fair, just, hard working, educated, and live by righteous morals, then no one will have a problem with the phrase.

Diddy may not be the most moral person, but he does work hard. If black people working hard and trying to be successful on their own merits is offensive, then you are a racist.

edit on 27-2-2012 by MaryStillToe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join